Has anyone else heard of Graham Harrell being a candidate for the Bama OC job?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by LDIABootney, Jan 4, 2021.

2. USC1

USC1 Junior Member

Jan 4, 2021
    Sark and Kiff were x head coaches and tutored under Pete and Chow and both had an offensive identity, were great recruiters and were able to X and O with in game adjustments. Graham offers none of that. He has been tutored by the North Texas coach and Claydough.... he would be eaten alive by Saban as a matter of fact he may not last one practice I am assuming Alabama split offensive reps run and throw evenly 50/50, it’s fairly obvious Graham practices 99% pass and 1% rb’s picking up the blitz. Is Graham’s agent looking for another raise he is jealous that Donte is now associate head coach???

jjg4sc, User1234, BESCFAN and 3 others like this.
  3. ICEnEC

ICEnEC Points Member

Jan 4, 2021
    Bammer, austin, boise. Barring a serious overhaul to the Offensive structure??? We won't be picky about where he goes.

4. big_pete

big_pete Points Member

Jan 4, 2021
    lol....Graham's agent is trying to get his client another raise. He's probably thinking we gave Helton a huge raise/extension, so maybe he can catch the administration asleep at the wheel again. It just seems so silly when consider how disappointing he has been as our OC.

5. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 4, 2021
    I actually think Harrell learned a lot from this past season. Although projected as stubborn, I think he knew we did not have the Oline to support the run game. The one game that Vavae had a great game was when Slovis was going off. Thus the passing game allows the run game. I also saw most of running plays on the left side behind AVT.
    I actually think Harrell could be very successful at Alabama. He will have a run game game to go along with a passing game. He will also have elite talent not just at the skilled positions. Hell Sark looked like a genius with the assets at Alabama.
    Lastly, if he were ever to stray, Saban would reel him in. He definitely will never challenge Saban as he is a proven established head coach unlike Helton. And the most importantly he may come over cheap! He may even take a lateral just to get away from Helton! Just thinking out loud!
    Fight On!

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  6. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Jan 4, 2021
    Graham Harrell will push Bryce Young away.

With the current transfer rules things can change rather quickly.

Rumor is Sark might want to take Bryce Young with him.
    So the new Bama OC will be important in keeping Young.

Don't want to lose Harrell because that would most likely mean Slovis will follow as well.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  7. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Jan 4, 2021
    Slovis might like playing in a balanced offense. One where he can show his skills as a passer but not have to pray for his life 50 times a game. If he could keep a D having to respect the run and not blitz him all game he could really really execute his passing game with time in the pocket. Therefore if the right HC came in with the right OC, I believe he would stay.

gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  8. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Jan 5, 2021
    I agree with parts of this but I refuse to believe we don’t have the line to support a good run game...especially against pac12 teams. We lack the schemes and are way too simple in our run game to be successful. It’s simple as that. Harrell and Drevno just don’t have their sh!t together to make it happen. They run the same passing plays over and over again until they achieve “mastery”...against Man D. They won’t dedicate the time to build a great running game.

9. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jan 5, 2021
    This season's offense looked like a Rorschach Test. Some people saw it as a failed experiment in the Air Raid. Others, like me, saw it as Helton trying (badly) to put his imprint on the offense, watching it fail, and then trying to excuse it away based on injuries, lack of practice time, lack of schemes, and just about anything else he could come up with. My "gut" feeling (and I am not basing this on anything other than that) is that Harrell and Helton are not compatible and the only reason Harrell is even there in the first place is that Swann hired him as a second stringer for Kingsbury. I mean, look at really successful programs. In how many of them are the assistants the AD's idea and not the head coach's? Helton isn't saying anything publicly but does anybody think he is happy about Bohn doing his job for him?

gubo&palanka, Rodgarnay51 and Troy70 like this.
  10. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Jan 5, 2021

Yep. SC was last in the weak, soft PAC 12 in rushing. They’re the only team that averaged less than 100 ypg on the ground. The overwhelming majority of the conference is comprised of 2* and 3* O-line recruits. No one can convince me it’s the personnel, and not a philosophical issue at SC.

dbw021, gubo&palanka and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  11. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 5, 2021
    I wouldn't pay it. If he wants to leave, let him leave. This is only my opinion/observation, but he appears to be so stubborn he might not be capable of basic expansions this offense obviously needs. We may be seeing the Peter Principle in action with him, just as we have with Helton.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  12. Rodgarnay51

Jan 5, 2021
    I take your side in this discussion.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. Rodgarnay51

Jan 5, 2021
    I agree with this. And to those who say he's not mobile, how many times did we see him skillfully side-step the rush or run away from to avoid getting pummeled, and completing a lot of passes in the process? I agree with you - it would be awesome to see Slovis have some time to just scan the field and throw! Could you imagine Slovis if he would have had the time Matt Leinart did? He would have completed about 85% of his passes.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. Rodgarnay51

Jan 5, 2021
    I'd like to believe you. I'd like it even more if he did that at SC.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. Rodgarnay51

Jan 5, 2021
    He should be because he can't do it himself.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 5, 2021
    Believe me when I say I am not a Harrell fan, but I do know he is semi competent and can identify talent. You play the hand you were dealt and you saw the Oline talent has declined since the days of Callaway. I was one of the of the posters during the season calling for Drevno’s firing because obviously the Oline was just not performing. Yes Austin Jackson and AVT are great players, but there are 4 other players that make up the Oline. Week after week Mckensie was getting tossed on his ass. As an opposing DC drop 8 in coverage and look for any run plays going over AVT’s way. Harrell’s response let me play to my strengths, I got Amon, Tyler, Drake, and Slovis, percentage wise what would you do?
    If Saban’s kids can make Sark look like a genius, I am
    Sure Harrell can do the same. Imagine him like Sark playing with a full deck. Hard to look bad!
    Fight On!