HARRELL was right

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Trojan4life_itul1, Sep 21, 2019.

1. BeatND2019

BeatND2019 Points Member

Sep 22, 2019
    1 TD, 1 interception, and a lost fumble. 7 yard per completion average. Both Slovis & Fink have looked better and have over 10 yard per completion average. Both Slovis & Fink show pocket movement and elusive abilities.

2. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Sep 22, 2019
    The reason Fink is 3rd string is because he does and always has thrown the most interceptions in practice. As for Slovis he played good against Stanford but he was bad against FSU and stunk against BYU. Both Slovis and Fink chuck the ball up into dbl coverage for long passes that their WR's are making them them look good and getting them a lot of yardage. Daniels threw into dbl coverage a lot last year and was picked off like Slovis and now is nicknamed dbl coverage. If Slovis has a few more games with multiple picks is he going to get coined a nickname?

3. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Sep 22, 2019
    So the suggestion here is that what the coaches saw is not what we need.
    Sears couldn't beat a statue, a portal dude, a frosh, but yet he was the best option to be named starter #1 in the depth chart.
    Of course you base your opinion on your keen eye for talent. You don't need to see the players practice and watch how they handle the playbook. nope, you know what USC needs based on a guy who couldn't beat 3 other stiffs and decided to bail, due to his own failure to secure a better spot on the depth chart.....

This is comedy at it's finest. Long live George Carlin.

eliminator207, Troken and youngdna like this.
  4. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Where is that photo of Stepp Pancaking Francis? Would love to see it

5. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    I’m gonna catch shit for this... but I’m not confident in Fink’s passing abilities.

He had a night for the ages and I couldn’t be happier to watch that kid realize a dream.

But his throws weren’t very accurate. It was sandlot ball and our guys went up and got the balls and Made plays. Slovis makes some incredible throws.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  6. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    That's what my eyes saw from Friday night also. I held my breath a lot on those long balls and passes across the middle. And yeah, I was very happy for Fink that he had a great night with his teammates. Fink seems to have more escape-ability than Slovis, but Slovis reads the defense quicker and (usually) places the ball where his receivers can continue getting good yardage after the catch.

I'm just thankful we have a QB like Fink to step in when he was really needed.

pgoodman, GLYCERINE and CP619 like this.
  7. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Champion in practice. Easy to concentrate on hitting receivers when you're wearing the "do not hit" yellow jersey.

Just like the guy who is an expert marksman at the range when no one is shooting back might piss themselves once the bullets start coming their way.

eliminator207 likes this.
  8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    I disagree. We needed to convert that 3rd and 9 later in the game and Fink placed it perfectly over Pittman’s shoulder in stride for a 44 yd. gain. That was huge and set up Stepp’s TD run. And it wasn’t his only good throw.

In general, I think Slovis throws a little better ball than Fink, but Finks were more accurate than Slovis was against BYU IMO. Slovis has been very good overall, but his first two interceptions against BYU were just badly thrown balls. It happens. And even in his incredible game against Stanford, several of his passes required his receiver to come back and make a play, or make a play against over the top of defenders. Both Fink and Slovis made those kinds of throws.

Finks INT was a bad decision that never should have been thrown. It happens.

They both seem to me to throw about the same percentage of 50/50 throws and trusting the receivers to make a play.

I’m quite pleased with both of them so far.

Troken likes this.
  9. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    If you watched the Fresno State game, up to the time he was hurt and out of the game, JT played very well and even moved the pocket a couple of times. I think JT will eventually be the starter at SC next year, but ACL rehab is tough and getting back into football shape takes time. I just can't believe how much JT bashing continues to go on based on his performance last year as a freshman with very little help from his OL.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  10. CCTrojans

CCTrojans Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    I'm starting to believe that some of this criticism is based on looks. JT Daniels started as a true freshman, won the starting job according to Harrell, played well against Fresno before he got hurt, and he helped prep Slovis to play, with great results. I don't think it has anything to do with an "it" factor. I think JT just has terrible facial hair and isn't as handsome. People have had crazier opinions, right?

jjg4sc and DaFireMedic like this.
  11. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Sep 23, 2019
    He’s getting first team reps this week, so I think you’ll see some improvement on the timing of his passes. I recall the reports from August said his arm strength was notably improved from last year.

12. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Sep 23, 2019
    If Fink gets hurt and the walk on QB comes in and we win everyone on this board will ride his jock. First it was Daniels, Sears, then Slovis, and now Fink. Each one getting dissed after the next plays. Seriously Fink, the interception machine in practices is exciting everyone? He was in the portal and no one cares. We just lost Bryce Young and everyone says who cares but they are excited about Fink now.

13. Wolfpack4SC

Wolfpack4SC Points Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I guess some people see changes as opportunities while others will always talk about how great it was before and never really move on.

14. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Slovis has a huge upside.
    I think that was the difference

15. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    LMAO! Yeah thats a bad look for him. Anyone that makes that choice probably isn’t a good leader. Hahahah!

16. SeattleTrojan

SeattleTrojan Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I agree it’s comedy alright. Wasn’t Helton the one that chose Max over Sam? Now that was comedy!

17. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    don't know when we get Slovis back, if ever. He took a ding to the head the previous week.

18. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Who gives a rats rear end if he threw Int’s in practice if he can scramble and avoid the rush, throw on the run, and get the ball to the playmakers in a real game? He’s not the second coming of Sam Darnold, but I feel like he gives us a chance to win where most 3rd string QB’s don’t.

I agree though, it’s kind of hokey to be dissing each of the previous QB’s once they go down with an injury.

Sucks that we lost Bryce Young, but I was kind of expecting it. Things are pretty unstable around here and it doesn’t look like we’ll be ready to compete for NC’s anytime soon. Short of Saban retiring (and even then it’s probable), Alabama is almost a sure bet to be in the running for an NC again next year.