HARRELL was right

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Trojan4life_itul1, Sep 21, 2019.

1. HARRELL was right
    Trojan4life_itul1

Trojan4life_itul1 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    QBs were really close during the competition. I can see why Fink or Sears would contemplate leaving for playing time. Glad Fink didn't. However, should we platoon QB? Remember in 95 we had Wachholtz and Otten? I think both deserves to play.
    I say each get 1 quarter each, then the hotter QB plays the majority of the 2nd.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I’ve always been opposed to QB by committee. A QB has to get into a rhythm, read defenses, etc. I’m a proponent of one starting QB and only pulling him in garbage time or if he’s ineffective.

eliminator207 likes this.
  3. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Maybe it is Harrell's simplified offensive scheme. It was installed in 3 days and it does mask our deficiencies in our Oline play. According to Troy70, I am glad Harrell called out the Oline, because Helton would never do it!
    Fight On Graham!

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  4. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Fink came off the bench after 2 plays .. with ZERO warm-up and seemed to get his RHYTHM pretty darn fast ... came out firing and took us(c) right down the field for a TD.

As I keep SCREAMING .. this O-line sucks .. which is why we need a mobile/ dual threat QB. Sears was the best at that .. Matt Fink second. JT is a statue .. Slovis better .. but not by much. Just like with Stepp .. we're not playing our best options .. that's on the coaches!

eliminator207 and Butcher22 like this.
  5. DaFireMedic

Sep 21, 2019
    It doesn’t always work out the way it did with Fink. Regardless, I still think it best to have one QB in there for the majority of the game.

But I do agree that we should be using a mobile/dual threat QB, as I think JT would have had problems the last two games. Fink escaped some tight spots with his scrambling ability and made some plays.

I’m not convinced that Sears is the more mobile QB than Fink. Fink actually ran as much as he passed in HS.

6. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Fink is Fast, but not especially shifty/ quick .. but better than JT and Slovis. Sears is Fast and elusive and IMO .. a better arm .. though hard to complain about Fink's play yesterday. I think he deserves another shot on Saturday with a full week of prep. That's an easy call if Slovis is held out due to concussion protocol.

I'd love to see Jack come back .. even if just for then next 3 weeks - UW and ND .. We might well need him for those games and it allows the coaches to allow Fink to be involved in the run game .. a strength of his re: the read option. If Slovis returns Jack can always go back into the Portal. He loses a year of eligibility regardless of whether he plays any this year due to the NCAA 5 yrs to play 4 absent a medical redshirt waiver.

7. LucGomez40

LucGomez40 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Fink did great considering what was being asked of him, but some of his long passes were Hail Mary types of passes that eg. Pitt highballed betw 2 defenders.
    He threw about 4 complete duck farts either above or behind the receiver where you thought, “What the hell was that?!”
    And of course the god awful INT that set up a TD for them!
    Accuracy is not even in same ballpark betw
    Slovis and Fink.
    The key is not necessarily escapability( although thats very nice to have).
    The Key is being able to run to keep the D honest.
    That ONLY can be done with Stepp!!
    As another poster showed in a photo—-
    Stepp pancaked LB Bernard Francis at the 2 yard line, then walked into the endzone!
    Bernard reportedly runs 6’1” 240 lbs and he met Stepp head on AND STEPP PANCAKED HIM.
    Carr would have been thrown back and Vavae likely would have been stopped right there.

eliminator207 and Hockey10 like this.
  8. DaFireMedic

Sep 21, 2019
    In all fairness, Slovis threw up his share of 50/50 balls as well, and his first 2 INT’s last week were badly under thrown. In general though I do think he throws a better ball than Fink, but it’s not like they aren’t in the same ballpark.

Fink wasn’t perfect, but he scrambled out of pressure and made a few plays out of near sacks, and other than the dumb interception that he shouldn’t have thrown up, he was relatively mistake free.

TrojanWagon88 likes this.
  9. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019

Slovis got hurt in the first series. Fink got just as much warm up as a starter, lol.

10. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    You might want to revisit Daniels stats before he got hurt vs FSU

11. east coast trojan

east coast trojan Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Stats only paint part of the picture. JT lacks that "it" factor...no leadership, bad body language. One half of football doesn't tell the story. I saw him play last year; Fink and Slovis are better than him.

redeye likes this.
  12. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Sep 22, 2019
    We should trust the staff. They were right on Kedon being 2 on the depth chart.

I have no dog in any of the QBs, but I was impressed by Daniels before he got hurt. as far as leadership, it’s been documented that Daniels has been a lot of help for getting Slovis ready for Stanford.

I think Slovis will be a program changer as a Qb, at least the best amongst this crop, but the staff made the call for Jt as the starter. Who the hell am I to question that? Lol

CP619 likes this.
  13. 1988Trojan

1988Trojan Junior Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Heave and hope has short upside ... with film opponents will be on very quickly to limited qbs

14. Trojan4life_itul1

Trojan4life_itul1 Junior Member

Sep 22, 2019
    With athletes we have on the perimeter, we should attack vertically to open up underneath stuff and running.
    Also did you see Lamar Jackson heading up (should be) intercepted pass one after another and his recievers just fight for it?
    Throwing it up strategy works for this team.

jjg4sc and DaFireMedic like this.
  15. DaFireMedic

Sep 22, 2019
    We don’t heave and hope much at all anyway. We heave and trust our receiver who has the DB seriously overmatched. There’s a difference. And as you said, it helps in opening up the short passing game.

Had we thrown the ball downfield a few more times against BYU to stretch the field, we probably would have won.

jjg4sc and Butcher22 like this.
  16. DrJohnDC

DrJohnDC Junior Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Some of the throws from both Slovis and Fink were not heave and hope but a very well placed ball that our very, very good receivers caught. I think Slovis throws a little better ball (tighter spiral) but Fink has a little better escapability. Both, IMHO, have great leadership qualities.
    Fight On

CP619 likes this.
  17. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Sep 22, 2019
    If Sears was in the game, it would have been a sure loss because on the TD passes to St. Brown and Pittman, both on heavy pass rushes,, he would have put his head down without looking at anything downfield and run with the ball. That's why he was dropped by GH to #4 on the depth chart. He couldn't, or wouldn't, run GH's offense which is to ALWAYS look for the open man until you have to throw it away.

If you want a duel-threat QB, you need to find a different OC. Who knows, perhaps THAT is the reason Bryce de-committed.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    TXTrojan_itul1 and CP619 like this.
  18. ImanMarshallLOCK

ImanMarshallLOCK Banned

Sep 22, 2019
    Those of you ripping JT, we saw less than a half of him this season. He actually looked really good except for one play.

J4SC75, Hockey10 and TXTrojan_itul1 like this.
  19. Sleepysx3

Sleepysx3 Points Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Bryce probably de-commited cause he’s not going to start immediately. Tua is definitely leaving for the nfl after this year. And his brother isn’t highly touted as Bryce is.

jjg4sc likes this.