Harrell official

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Coachemup5, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Jan 27, 2019
    What if he comes in and says JT Daniels is not the starter

The backlash might be too much especially if he fails.
    He could be screwed either way.
    Daniels could have major issues with this offense because he is timid in the pocket.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Where would you anticipate this backlash coming from?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  3. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 27, 2019
    From what I understand JT was promised the starting job by Helton in exchange for his commitment. If JT not starting his father will go nuts. You think Michael Pittman's father was unhinged when Michael didn't play. If Helton's reneges on his promise that JT must start than the backlash will ensue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. FTFO33

FTFO33 Junior Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Given your response and demeanor it shows you’ve done zero research into the situation and are complacent being a miserable prick with your response, sure. I’m good with this. Enjoy the magic, Merlin.

5. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Points Member

Jan 27, 2019
    You have to be kidding
    USC has promised pretty much every QB the starting job since the late 1970's.

Some rare exceptions.
    Like Kessler and Darnold.

Max Wittek and Max Browne are not JT Daniels.

There will be a major backlash with the boosters, the fanbase and at Mater Dei.

6. DaFireMedic

Jan 27, 2019
    But again, from who? JT’s parents? I really don’t have a problem with that. I guess they shouldn’t make underhanded demands that their son be guaranteed the starting position regardless of his performance relative to the competition for the spot, if that is indeed what happened.

I have no reliable information on what was promised to who, but I have to think that Jack Sears, who was recruited by other colleges as well, was told that he could legitimately compete for the starting job. Sears would not have come here otherwise. That is just as binding IMO as any promises he may have made to JT. And if Helton did in fact promise the starting job to JT, then Helton has a choice to make now, renege on JT or renege on Sears. It seems a wash to me, let the competition begin.

Bringing in a new OC gives Helton the out to say that the starting QB will be decided by the new OC. He can then say once more “My hands are tied” and let the new OC select his QB.

I know that you agree that we need to have a legitimate open QB competition (actually, open competition at every position). If JT ends up winning it legitimately on the practice field, fine, but all 3 should have the same chance at winning the starting position.

qqqqqqqman and uscjrl98 like this.
  7. DaFireMedic

Jan 27, 2019
    Kidding about what?

Are there boosters who are insisting that JT start? I haven’t heard of any.

Backlash from the fanbase? It seems that most of the fans want Sears to start. I don’t see any backlash coming from the fanbase should JT not start.

Backlash from Mater Dei? Who gives a rat’s rear end?

I think it unlikely that USC has promised the starting job to every QB since the late 70’s. If USC has promised every QB the starting job since the late 70’s, then that means they’ve broken that promise every year since then, as not every QB that has come to USC has started.

Regardless, if Helton told Sears and/or Fink that they could compete for the starting job, that is just as binding as any promise that may have been made to Daniels. He needs to honor that by having open competition for the starting QB position.

FTFO33 likes this.
  8. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jan 28, 2019
    If they really wanted Fisch they could have hired him and waited for the season to be over.
    Harrell is the better hire IMO

9. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Where are people getting this scenario that Helton promised JT or his parents the starting job?
    I know two people who are about as close to the family as can be, and they both say that never happened? His parents aren’t even the kind of people who would make that kind of demand.

I also don’t know anyone, on any board whether staff member or poster who attended any fall practices that thought Sears or Fink even remotely out played JT.

Sears didn’t even out play Fink, according to most people. Although I have seen where some people thought he deserved the back up role.

Not even Helton is dumb enough to make a promise like that. To a HS Junior

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 28, 2019
    This kind of rumor gets put out once, and then people perpetuate it until it becomes fact in their eyes. FTR however, there was a poster here who claimed to be friends/tailgated with JT's parents and he said that JT was promised.

It's all BS unless it comes direct from the people themselves.

qqqqqqqman likes this.
  11. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    Where are people getting this scenario? Our own Greg Katz among many other sources.

Dec 9, 2018 Greg Katz

IMHO – Part 2: Perhaps it will be Matt Fink who will be the biggest surprise in the spring under Kingsbury’s offense…and the plot thickens as it should. In last season’s offense, Daniels was the man, but might he not be the man in a different or adjusted system? Spring practice can’t come fast enough for answers, or will Clay Helton say “my hands are tied” in defense of opening up the QB competition? If they are tied, tied to what and for what?

ConquerorSC likes this.
  12. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    So your doubting Greg Katz. You think he is reporting lies.

13. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Spin much? I know Greg and of course my comment had nothing to do with him. He's as honest and straight up a journalist as you will find. My point is that a lot of shit gets put out on forums like these and some become "facts" simply because they get repeated often enough. Lots of experts and friends of...unless or until it comes directly from the people involved, it's still just conjecture.

I have no idea what specifically Greg was referring to when he says tied hands. Do you?

zitorocks and Hockey10 like this.
  14. DaFireMedic

Jan 28, 2019
    I understand where you are coming from uscjrl98, but Greg was not stating outright that JT was promised the starting job, he was questioning (and rightly so) what was meant by Helton when he said that his hands were tied. Tied in what way?

I agree with you, I want to know what that means as well. How are the HC’s hands tied in starting JT? But there are other possible explanations aside from promising JT the starting job in exchange for his commitment. Perhaps he gave Tee full authority in deciding the starting QB, and Helton wasn’t going to override his decision? I just don’t want to read too much into that without further info.

The anger toward Helton on this forum has reached a level where every comment that he makes is interpreted in the worst possible way, that there is something underhanded and sinister going on. I just don’t see enough information on what Helton meant by his hands being tied to come to a definitive conclusion.

ssk121, CCTrojans and uscvball like this.
  15. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 28, 2019

Katz wasn’t “reporting” anything there.

zitorocks likes this.
  16. DaFireMedic

Jan 28, 2019
    They are probably correct. Understand that I was not saying that JT’s parents ever made such a demand. Thats a character accusation that I’m not in any position to make. JT seems like a super cool guy and I believe that to be a reflection of his parents.

17. STRECKERmemo

STRECKERmemo Junior Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrell official??? According to the Star-Telegram Harrell is back in Texas and hasn’t even beem presented with a new offer? Where is all this “deal confirmed” coming from? SC so-called insiders (i.e., Maya) haven really proven to be questionable during this entire OC hiring process. Can SC get some reliable “insiders” ?

18. DaFireMedic

Jan 28, 2019
    That’s why most of us prefer to wait until we get info from those actually involved before jumping to conclusions, either HH or the candidate.

19. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Lynn will screw it up,lol

20. uscfd

uscfd Junior Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Does anyone follow Bruce Feldman on Twitter?
    Apparently he just called it officially a done deal.