Handguns

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by prescottbear, Aug 1, 2020.

1. August West

August West Points Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Duplicate post

2. FIGHTONSC

FIGHTONSC Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 2, 2020
    Got this on order from KRG (Kinetic Research Group). My friend builds their barrels and bipods here in Idaho. It is called the “Fox 42” in 6.5 mm Creedmoor or 7.62X51 NATO. I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor since I already have several rifles chambered in 308.
    E140159E-A768-46D5-8676-F01E26C477B3.jpeg

This is a refined version of the Magpul Massoud rifle with a different type gas system and capable of 5 shot group 1/2 MOA accuracy. Beta testing has just been completed by some ex “Special Forces” guys and production has begun. I’m going to try some long range shooting with this gun and work up some reloads.

It’s not a pistol, but I thought I’d share some of the cool stuff coming out that you probably won’t see in California.

TheRealAirbns and SCBIGTIME like this.
  3. August West

August West Points Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Whoa! That’s a serious weapon. May I ask what that ran you?

4. FIGHTONSC

FIGHTONSC Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 2, 2020
    I haven’t got the final tab yet, but I suspect about 2K.

August West likes this.
  5. tommytrojan1122

tommytrojan1122 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    That is why I like the Shield. It has a dual safety. In addition to the manual one, you have to depress the back of the grip to fire. For me, I keep the manual safety off. God forbid I ever have to use the weapon, I don’t want to have to think about taking the safety off in a split second. The safety on the back of the grip gives me the security against an accidental discharge.

6. FIGHTONSC

FIGHTONSC Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 2, 2020
    I actually bought the EZ Shield without the manual safety for my wife because as you said “I don’t want to have to think about taking the safety off in a split second”, especially under stress.

With the grip (1911 type) safety, if you’re holding the pistol correctly it will go bang when you pull the trigger. Two safeties is redundancy and is not needed for a carry piece.

tommytrojan1122 likes this.
  7. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    They're trying.

On July 1st of 2019 phase 2 of Proposition 63 began and applied to gun stores and gun shows throughout the state. At this point ammunition sales now require a $1 fee (paid by you of course) for a point-of-sale background check, or eligibility check as the DOJ calls it.

Getting ammo shipped to your door will be up to the online retailer even if you have all the legal paperwork in place. Most will not want to deal with the hassle California has created.

In the past, you could scour the internet for the best deals all over the country and have it all sent to your doorstep with a credit card. Now days it is a little more tricky, you have two options:

• Have ammunition first shipped to local licensed ammunition vendor and pay an additional fee (likely defeating the savings of buying it online) to receive ammunition face-to-face.
    Or

• Apply for FFL03 and COE which would allow ammunition dealers everywhere in the country to legally ship to you directly (if they are willing to, many will not bother shipping to CA)

What Does the “Eligibility Check” Check Exactly?
    This background check will cross-reference your name, current address, date of birth, Driver’s License or other form of government ID with the info you have on file with the DOJ’s Automated Firearms System when you purchased and registered your firearm. If you’re not currently a gun owner or in the system, the DOJ will conduct a special one-time check for $19.

It will also scan your record for felonies which would make you ineligible for ammo purchases. It’s basically the same search that is performed when you purchase a firearm. If all your information checks out and you are clear, you can legally purchase ammunition.

The DOJ says the check should take 60-90 seconds, there is no wait period beyond that.

[​IMG]
    https://caligunner.com/california-ammunition-laws/

How to apply for a COE (certificate of eligibility): https://cfars.doj.ca.gov/login.do

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert-eligibility

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  8. FIGHTONSC

FIGHTONSC Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 2, 2020
    Option #3....get the hell out of California!

9. prescottbear

prescottbear Member

Aug 2, 2020
    God bless Arizona

FIGHTONSC likes this.
  10. Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider Points Member

Aug 2, 2020
    ...and thank you Prescott Bear for letting me live in your garage for the past year!

prescottbear likes this.
  11. Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider Points Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Seriously, consider the Ruger Mini 14 (223) with a wood stock. It is called a "Ranch Rifle" and isn't on many radars for take aways, yet it is comparable to the AR-15.

[​IMG]

prescottbear and FIGHTONSC like this.
  12. Fan Base

Fan Base Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Picked up 9mms Glock 17, CZ 75 and Beretta 92 Brigadier Inox since the coordinated post Floyd protests, looting and riots.

Awaiting availability of S&W 640 revolver and Mossberg 12g field combo to round things out for the year.

CA background check delays are a bummer but patience prevails.

Salesman told me 19m background check in 2019. Thru June 2020, 14m had been completed. Big demand for the manufacturers.

13. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    If you have to remember to take the manual safety off before firing your particular gun then you need to spend more time on the range with it.
    That firearm you choose to carry should be an extension of your hand, even in a stressful situation.

14. The Mayor of Leah

The Mayor of Leah Points Member

Aug 2, 2020
    If long distance accuracy beyond 1k yards is what you're looking for,the Ruger Precision Rifle will get you there in the 6.5 for 1400.00 plus optics. The RPR does it straight out of the box and when paired with the correct cartridge and a journeyman level knowledge of slope dope, it is capable of satisfying any test. From 1k in.....it is a tack driver.

15. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Damn, I lost all my guns in a boating accident including my new M1A. Damn shame...

holt7153 and DJ4SC like this.
  16. FIGHTONSC

FIGHTONSC Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 2, 2020
    Have always loved the Rugers! My main deer/elk/antelope gun is a M77 270 I bought 48 years ago. Still gets the job done and is my go to rifle here in Idaho.

What rail-mounted optics do you recommend for 1,000 yds? As a hunter I have never pulled the trigger on anything probably over 350-400 yds. I’ll also have to brush up on my “plastic man” slope dope to shoot that far.

I’m really just an old bolt action guy, but wanted to try out some new technology and add the 6.5 Creedmoor to my reloading bench. Plus, my buddy builds parts for this rifle and will trick it out for me.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  17. dblwall

dblwall Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    How do you like the Sig? Thinking about that same gun for the next purchase

18. TKnight

TKnight Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    CA handgun roster just F with all us Californian's who are 2A fans. CADOJ is just non American along with King Newscum and Bacera.

Already planning my CA exit once daughter is out of HS.

prescottbear and FIGHTONSC like this.