Graham wants to pick QB soon

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Graham wants to pick QB soon
    Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 27, 2019
    He told us he wants to select his guy by 10-12 practices so first team gets most of the reps. He got a big response from us. Recall receivers told media during season they wished they had more reps with JT. If no QB picked by then expect that means Clay is sticking his oar in. We saw already what happened before when he picked his QB.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Jul 27, 2019
    Yes, we finished with 9 straight wins and won the Rose Bowl. ;)

I do like Harrell as well, and I’m hoping he is the difference. I’m pretty confident he will be picking his QB by 10-12 practices like he said.

3. Coeur

Coeur Points Member

Jul 27, 2019
    Helton said starting qb isn't up to him right? That was last year. Was the choice really given to Harrell?

4. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Jul 27, 2019
    It absolutely makes since to have the QB spot settled earlier rather than later... for just the reason Harrell mentions. To me, that is just common sense. In fact, I would venture to say they already know, or at least have a clear leader now. BUT will not spill it yet over transfer reasons, as any player is a quick injury away from being lost.

5. DaFireMedic

Jul 27, 2019
    The decision will be Harrell’s. Helton said that Harrell will have full control over player decisions on offense and will run the QB competition. I just don’t see Helton going back on his word at this point, he would lose the trust of his players and coaches and he knows that. Helton will (and rightly so) always have the final authority as long as he’s HC, but he will go with whoever Harrell feels is best to run the offense.

6. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019
    I'm glad this is a real competition and not that staged farce of last year. One thing for sure is Jack Sears' name has been the first name out of Harrell's mouth every time. I'm not sure if that means something but it usually does. Tubby Daniels better step up his game or he will not win the starting job.

7. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Pretty much. Put it this way, only massive suckage on his part will keep him from starting.
    My personal opinion is that JT will be vastly improved this season. We will finally see what all the fuss was about.

Or not

8. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Can you provide a few links to when Harrell always mentions Sears first?

Because his offense is much more suited to a QB with Daniels skill set than Sears

I also don’t get why you were calling last years QB competition a staged farce? I’ve never seen one report that even remotely hinted that Sears or Fink outplayed JT in fall camp. In fact Sears finished third.

Also, why do you feel the need to call him Tubby Daniels? I don’t know you as someone who is prone to giving players derogatory names over the years?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Troken, VM805, Rodgarnay51 and 8 others like this.
  9. BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Yeah- and it only took the clueless one 4 games to realize that Sam Darnold was a better QB than Browne, and even then, it took Swann to force his hand. As for Daniels, it appears Clay made a deal to guarantee him the starting job in exchange for JT reclassifying.
    We will all be better off if Clay has as much zero into who the starting QB is!

10. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Graham led off at SD Trojan Club reviewing the QB s with Sears. He said Jack doesn’t look best in drills but in live action he shines. He said JT thinkstoo much & slows things down but was catching on by end of camp. Matt can get too emotional at times. Since media & fans won’t be able to report who knows how QBs rise to compete. Hey, just trust SC with your hard earned $$$ & buy tickets

11. DaFireMedic

Jul 28, 2019
    Link???

12. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Slovis was the one mentioned that did well in the offense. Whoever it is I expect a large step up from last year.

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  13. DaFireMedic

Jul 28, 2019
    I agree. Even Darnold struggled in Tee’s offense, the new scheme should be much better.

We are actually in a very good position QB wise. Even if the BoT themselves stepped in and chose our QB, they couldn’t pick a bad one.

14. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019
    I hope he, GH, does it soon so we can put the sidebar politics aside. Helton, at this point, has no trust from the public who believe he has neither the self restraint to avoid meddling nor the capacity to make the right decision.

The sooner this is done and over with, along with the decision to have - or, God help us all, not have - live tackling at practice, the sooner everyone can get on board with the staff.

At that point, we’ll all be back to being the USC family.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019

So basically he was saying that Sears is the best gamer. If that’s the case, he should be the guy.

Jose, Butcher22 and gubo&palanka like this.
  16. DaFireMedic

Jul 28, 2019
    The lack of trust comes not from his meddling where he shouldn’t, but rather his NOT intervening when there was a clear problem. I’m not sure why people think he will tend to intervene or override his coordinators when his past MO has clearly been to avoid it, even when he should have.

Harrell will be choosing the QB.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  17. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Wow, it sure must be nice to remember things the way you want. Sam was obviously a very talented QB, but at the time he didn't outplay the more experienced Browne, not to mention Browne had experience going into the Alabama game. Hard to argue it would make sense to throw a redshirt freshman QB at Alabama. Yes, Helton is loyal to a fault to his more experienced players, I will give you that, but I never heard that Swann pressured Helton to play Sam, got a link? Doubt you do. Oh yes, the Daniels deal, sure, okay.

18. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Tee did not have an offense,, it was a collection of plays, there is a difference. As much as I disliked Kiffin, he did game plan with a strategy, did not like it but he did have a plan. Last year we ran random plays

19. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jul 28, 2019
    #savethedrauma

Just pick a guy, coach him up and turn him loose. The front end of the schedule could make or break the season. This is no time for indecisions.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019