Graham Harrell is staying at USC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 16, 2019.

1. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    So...it's now "high horse" to challenge a speculation? And why do you state categorically sure that his statement wasn't his alone? That appears more "high horse" than just taking it on its face.

bell likes this.
  2. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    You must be having a bad morning..... I'm not going to engage with you or take the time to find the link with those words coming out of someone elses mouth. It is there, but, I've got more important things to do. I hope your day gets better. This really does not sound like you - I'm normally a big fan of your posts

3. pb4sc

pb4sc Active Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Is this good news, yes. Is Harrell the silver bullet that will bring us back to the promised land, no. There are too many issues overall that an offensive coordinator will not fix.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Of course. But loosening the purse strings to retain Harrell is a great sign that Folt & Co. care more about the football program's success than most fans thought.

Rodgarnay51 and USCAlumFightOn like this.
  5. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    You don't have to take a lot of time to simply reply: what has Harrell done to warrant your skepticism?
    Btw, I'm having a fine day so far...

USCAlumFightOn and bell like this.
  6. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    You guys were so hungry for a glimmer of good news, I think this mirage got you. This eliminates any chance of bringing in a new HC and indicates we’re stuck with Gomer for the duration of his contract, or until the idiots on the BoT can stomach his buyout. I don’t see much positive behind this hire. Another stupid deal by the most idiotic athletic department in Div1. Hawaii better look out as we set new all time passing records and tailback recruits look elsewhere. WTF man!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    OCBeachTrojan likes this.
  7. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    I don’t think this sticks us with Helton for 3 years at all. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but if we end up having to dump this staff and get stuck paying OCGH for 3 years, and he gets a HC job paying similar money, isn’t SC off the hook? I thought there was some sort of rule in place that stopped coaches from getting double pay. It’s referred to as a “duty to mitigate”. There’s a good chance with a decent or better season that GH will get his shot somewhere in the next couple seasons as a high paid assistant or a HC - fortunately he’s on the way up.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  8. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    And we aren't? We have the #1 QB in the nation from last year's class, a Heisman Trophy candidate QB, and next year's class we will have another 5* QB coming in. Why do we need Bryce? What's he going to do?

9. Lawyer John

Lawyer John Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Harrell has always struck me as being an introvert and not able to comfortably public speak. But whether he believes a championship is truly achievable or not, I am glad he talked about how the National Championship is always the SC goal.

DJ4SC, Rodgarnay51 and jjg4sc like this.
  10. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    All due respect, our TBs were doing well until the top three got injured. Malepeai and Stepp were killing it. Carr is just a perpetual underachiever. The holes are here, if they don't get the yardage, it's because they want to dance around too much and their eyes are too far downfield. I think Harrell is exactly what this team needs on offense because he knows how to utilize his weapons and put them in situations where they can succeed. Just ask Pittman. Before the season he would have been lucky to be a 5th round pick and now he's at least a solid second rounder with recognition for national awards. Slovis, a 3* recruit that nobody wanted is going into next season as a Heisman candidate and broke a lot of records for a lot of great QBs at USC. Austin Jackson is also now being mentioned as a first round pick...that wasn't the case last year. AVT drastically improved, as did the entire OL. Here's something else to chew on when evaluating Harrell's "Air Raid" -

2018 gumbo offense - 3000 yards passing, 18 TD/10 INT, 60.7% completion percentage, 7.4 ypr, 27 sacks allowed in 402 attempts, 1600 yards rushing, 4.1 ypc, and 17 TDs
    2019 air raid offense - 4000 yards passing, 33 TD/14 INT, 71% completion percentage, 8.7 ypr, 24 sacks allowed in 466 attempts, 1500 yards rushing, 4.1 ypc, and 17 TDs

The passing offense was exponentially better, despite more pass attempts we had fewer sacks allowed, the rushing offense was about as close to a wash as you can get...but if you factor in that we were down to 1 RB after losing our top 3 for almost half the season, I would say that our running offense was better too. I think this coming season's numbers will top 2019. More so in the rushing offense. Also, consider that we went through three QBs. If we can have one QB the entire season, I predict 4500 yards passing, 35 TD passes, 8 INT, 2000 yards rushing, 20 rushing TDs.

11. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Yes, as others have noted, this means CCH is safe thru 2023. You don't give an assistant a long-term contract without keeping the HC. How many potential new HCs want to inherit this offensive scheme and be "stuck" with someone they didn't pick.

Yes, the O improved...all the way up to #35 in scoring offense. That's going in the right direction and he's an upgrade over Tee M, but I'm not getting the degree of love for GH, I guess. But maybe #35 is the best we can hope for until we get a good OL?

12. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 17, 2019
    This is exactly the point!

13. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    We still need to cut down on sacks. Would like to see us under 15 for the season. For comparison sake, let's look at Sam Darnold's best season (2016).

3600 yards passing, 65.7% completion percentage, 7.8 yards per reception, 33 TD/11 INT, 12 sacks allowed in 463 attempts. 2600 yards rushing, 5.2 ypc, and 18 TDs.

It's interesting to note that in 2016 we had only 3 fewer pass attempts. I would have thought it was far fewer than this season with the air raid offense. It's also not dink and dunk all of the time. Our average per reception was 8.7 this season versus 7.8 in 2016. The biggest difference is what yields us an 8-4 versus a 10-3 season...the rushing yards. 2600 in 2016 vs. 1500 in 2019. If we can fix that and decrease the sacks, I think we can win the PAC12 and be in the discussion for the playoff (if we lose a semi close game to Bama).

Rodgarnay51 and SC ForLife like this.
  14. beeto

beeto Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    So most in here were saying he was gone to Tx.
    Reason being......USC doesn’t pay their coaches.

Leading to believe most in here wanted GH to remain here,

Well, now he’s staying and this AD is the stupidest AD dept. in college sports.

What am I missing here ?

I’m starting to think a lot of people here are not playing with a full deck.

15. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    @beeto, remember when people griped and complained about Pete Carroll and his coaching staff? If they complain about that, they will complain about anything.

16. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    I’d place more stock in Harrell leaving SC in a year or two for a HC gig than staying through his contract. Could work out that we fire Helton and Harrell gets a better job in one year and SC won’t owe him a dime. Maybe that’s what people are missing.

17. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    My Mom and I'm sure many other's Moms would say "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". Yet if that were the case, this Board would have a grand total of 2 posters and 4 posts. Social media is just a place to complain and see your masterfully though out opinions in print - nothing more. Good point Beeto.