Graham Harrell is staying at USC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 16, 2019.

1. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Dec 16, 2019
    I have watched football since the mid 1950's... so yea I have watched... Clancy has been consistent in giving up the long 3rd down yardage forever. We all see it. You can keep Clancy, I'd dump him and get a better DC.

DJ4SC and gubo&palanka like this.
  2. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 16, 2019
    Does Clay have an extension thru 2023 that matches Graham’s new contract? So SC keeps Clay thru his contract?

Redskins Rick likes this.
  3. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Dec 17, 2019
    I’m holding out reservation to see how much of our improvement on offense was due to innovative play calling vs. weak opponents down the stretch. Everyone seems to be stuck remembering the last couple of games when we scored over 40pts...but that was UCLA and Cal. We still took too long to play Stepp (I don’t know why when everyone could plainly see he was our best back.) and struggled at times to score (3 pts in 3 qtrs vs. az st., a lucky win due to a botched pass to a wide open receiver) But I’ll continue to hope the offense continues an upward trend. The Holiday Bowl will be a big test to see how far our offense has really come.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  4. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Not sure if USC is going to San Diego by air - train or even bus might be the most efficient manner to travel.

So perhaps you are suggesting that if HCCH has a really lousy game at the Holiday Bowl he gets "Amtracked" or "Greyhounded"?

OCBeachTrojan likes this.
  5. CoronaTrojanFan

CoronaTrojanFan Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Agree that retention of OCGH (1) shows commitment by USC to have the sense to retain a coach who had a big impact on the program; (2) shows potential recruits on the offensive side of the ball that they might be able to play in a winning or beneficial developmental environment; (3) that a guy who was being sought after by a couple of other big programs chose USC over those programs; (4) that perhaps OCGH really sees more upside to KD as OC's like to have a guy playing for them that they think they can be successful with over the next couple of years.

As others on the board have pointed out, if USC could now get a DC that might have similar potential to raise up the play of the team on the defensive side then perhaps Trojans might have a chance to move upward and onward as a program going forward.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. August West

August West Points Member

Dec 17, 2019
    There’s so many to choose from, Ive lost count.....but that one is near the top.

7. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Not true, Stepp has 56 touches over two years and zero fumbles lost. He did fumble once but recovered it. Practices are closed to the public so we don't know what's going on there but from watching the games and public scrimmages his ball security doesn't appear to be an issue. Carr and Mal have fumbled more and lost more but it doesn't appear to be chronic. The running back coaches have done a good job teaching ball security. The QB and receivers coaches have done a terrible job teaching ball security.

8. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Since none of us can really know it will depend on one's perspective. If you're 100% anti-Helton then you take the position that Swann made the call. If you're in the camp that Helton is learning on the job then you take the position that Helton made the change.

RB4SC likes this.
  9. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 17, 2019
    "Moving forward, we’ve laid the foundation to compete for championships, not only at the Pac-12 level, but at the national level. "

Love the news but it must be coupled with a better defense or we are stuck in limbo.

Don't love this line from Harrell, as it seems forced, but I suspect it was written by the moron Tessalone.

Troy70, Trojan Man 30, DJ4SC and 2 others like this.
  10. Lawyer John

Lawyer John Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Hooray, hooray, Harrell is hearlded. And Graham's response--"we've laid the foundation to compete for championships...at the national level...Can't wait to continue what we've started."...

It's not always solely about the money, it's the creation. And Graham created a formidable football offense that is close to competing with Alabama and Ohio St if and when Troy can short up that offensive line. And SC has primarily recruited linemen, and although 3-starred, they may be better than that because grading linemen is the most difficult position to predict...

If Graham is excited then so am I. And note he said SC has laid he foundation to compete or a National Championship. He is head of the offense, not Helton. This is more Graham's team than Clay's. Now if only the defense can be rearranged, SC might have a shot.

Trojan Man 30 and zitorocks like this.
  11. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 17, 2019
    This is essential, an imperative!

12. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Harrell is one coach who is underpaid
    Helton is not paid like the big boy coaches so get what you pay for.
    Do notice that USC is cheap when it comes to coaches.
    You get what you pay for
    Cannot compete unless willing to pay for the elite coaches
    Why is USC so cheap when it comes to that?

13. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 17, 2019
    I see it as good news . He has been a positive at USC. I share the belief with some others here that the air raid offense is not the ticket to an N.C. However, with a solid offensive line USC can greatly improve.

14. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    I agree. It seems forced, and company speak........ at least he didnt say "Fight On to Victory"

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    "It seems" is a popular pretext for posts here. Would you like Harrell to say it to your face before you take him at his word? I'm curious--what deception has he spoken to warrant your skepticism? He signed an extension to validate that sentiment, right? What more do you want from the guy?

bell likes this.
  16. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Maybe they should stop by Bryce Young's house again. Clemson is stacked at QB

17. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    I know you're only addressing the ball security issue but there's many other factors that might have kept Stepp on the bench. The playbook? Pass protection? Catching the ball out of backfield? Attitude? Confidence from coaching staff? Etc. You're right: "we don't know."

bell and CP619 like this.
  18. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Well, when you mouth words that were said by others in the administration, that is called 'company speak', that is why it sounds unathentic. Get off your high horse, by the way, we all speculate here, including you

gubo&palanka likes this.