Grading the USC basketball season (from Rich Ruben)

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by ErikMcKinney, Mar 18, 2020.

2. Alta Loma Trojan

Alta Loma Trojan Junior Member

Mar 18, 2020
    Thanks for the write-up.
    I think Big O is the best rim defender that SC has ever had and I go back to the late 60's. You said "in many years". Who would compare to him? I can't think of anyone.
    I'd give Mathews an A+. He always gave 100% on both ends. Team leader. And the shot heard all the way to Westwood. A shot that will talked about for many years.
    I'd give Anderson an A- or B+.
    How would you grade CAE? I'd give him an A-.

3. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben Member

Mar 18, 2020
    I had Taj in mind

4. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben Member

Mar 18, 2020
    I was thinking about Taj as the last really good rim protector. As a junior he had 100, sophomore 84 and freshman 69. Those numbers are first, second and now seventh season bests. We don’t know how many Big O would have had if there was a post season, nor what his career totals would have been if he played three years at SC. I think you may bd right and that Big O is better.

5. Cab_jag562

Cab_jag562 Points Member

Mar 18, 2020
    Good write up as always. Big O has always been underrated since his days at Chino Hills HS. Wasn’t until his junior year that he was able to make his presence felt. As a freshman in HS, he was a part of the undefeated Chino Hills team that had Lonzo, Gell, Lamelo Ball, Cameron Shelton & Eli Scott. I remember watching that team several times & always noticing #21 crashing the glass + blocking/altering shots. Just came away amazed at the type of impact he had on that team as a freshman & practically playing the entire game!

Onyeka would only get bigger & stronger and boy was he a dominating presence at the HS Level! Always knew he would end up at USC because the staff loved his older brother, Nnamdi (RIP) & would have wound up signing with USC.

Very unfortunate we didn’t get to witness Onyeka play in the tournament. Would have been fun seeing him in a much bigger spot light. Slim chance he returns, but if he does..WATCH OUT. Fight on!!

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben Member

Mar 18, 2020

In answer to a recruiting question, SC has major holes to fill. My understanding is that they are still pursuing Zaire Williams and Jalen Clark to help fill the need for scorers. I have not heard anything recently about SC’s prospects with either. There are not too many other high level high school prospects who are unsigned or uncommitted. The only grad transfer I know they are pursuing is Patrick Tape from Columbia. He is 6’10” and sat out this season to graduate and play somewhere else next year. There are a number of schools who are recruiting him. I’m pretty certain they are in the mix for other players but I don’t have any more info.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Mar 20, 2020
    Rich,
    Overall I have been pro CAE during his run but not without concerns. I think he has recruited well, is underrated at player development and game day strategy but the concerns I have are with his seeming lack of success in instilling the importance of several of the finer points of basketball that mean the difference in many close games (i.e. turnovers, inbounding the ball or defending the inbounds, free throws...). I was pleased by how well the team closed out many of their games this season and impressed by the defensive effort all year.

Because I only have the privilege of seeing a couple games a year and get most of my information from the internet, how accurate would you consider this point of view? Sweeping the Bruins, tied for third in conference, top ten nationally in field goal percentage allowed, and a projected 8 to 11 seed in dance sounds like a pretty good year to me and something to build on.

Thanks

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  8. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben Member

Mar 20, 2020

I pretty much agree with you. I thought at the outset of the season that if Andy is going to build something, he needed to do well this year and recruit well to start having yearly success. The team was fun to watch, and I thought they had a shot to win some games in LV and in the NCAA. Depending on how well they played in the PAC 12, they could have been a higher seed. One “expert” had SC as. A 7 seed before the conference tournaments

The recruiting for next season is still very much up in the air. They have 5 open scholarships, and need scorers. They have recruited 4 five star players in a three year period, which had never happened before.

I am more positive about Andy than many. Many of his players have improved significantly at SC. Nick is a great example. This was the first year in several where turnovers were a problem. If I remember right, I think SC led the conference the year before in assist to turnover ratio. The staff realized early on that it was not as good offensively as they expected, and really emphasized defense. The one area I can’t understand is the poor free throw percentage almost every year. I would have expected the team would be very good from the line given Andy’s experience as a player and his prior positions as a shot doc.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  9. Alta Loma Trojan

Mar 22, 2020
    Here is Tape and some other top SG's that are Grad Transfers eligible immediately.

Patrick Tape, 6-foot-10, 232 pounds, PF, senior, Columbia
    Tape redshirted this past season. A highly efficient offensive player, Tape averaged 11.3 points and 5.9 rebounds in 2018-19 while shooting 66.7% from the field. He has visited USC, Maryland and Syracuse.

Ferron Flavors Jr., 6-foot-3, 190 pounds, SG, redshirt junior, Cal Baptist
    One of the best shooters on the West Coast, Flavors buried 43.9% of his 3-pointers en route to averaging 13.5 points and 3.5 rebounds.

Nate Johnson, 6-foot-3, 180 pounds, SG, redshirt junior, Gardner-Webb
    Johnson finished the season on a tear, hitting double figures in each of his 11 games and scoring at least 20 in three of his last six. He averaged 13.5 points and shot 41.1% from 3.

Ryan Betley, 6-foot-5, 200 pounds, SG, senior, Penn Betley made his transfer plans known before the season but didn't enter the portal until the campaign ended. He averaged double figures in all three of his healthy seasons with the Quakers, including 11.6 points and 5.8 rebounds this season.

Brendan Barry, 6-foot-2, 180 pounds, PG, senior, Dartmouth Barry suffered a season-ending injury in September and entered the transfer portal a few weeks later. The knockdown perimeter shooter averaged 13.2 points and made 44.5% of his 3s last season.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Mar 22, 2020
    That Barry kid is intriguing. Both his father and grandfather had notable success in their respective college careers and NBA great Rick Barry is also a relative, although their fee throw styles differ greatly.

11. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Mar 22, 2020
    The free throw shooting baffles me too. This team needs guards, either that or the ones they have need to really step it up.

12. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Going to the portal for help is needed. If we could get Tape, it would give Andy the option of how much to use the late commit HS center. And getting a great player who is a one and done ( Williams) would always be great. But I think we also need some good young players who will develop over their careers and be there for three or four years to build around. Nick and Jonah, Bennie, JMac, Metu. Those players are the backbone of continued success. Won’t always bring in five star freshmen.

13. Alta Loma Trojan

Mar 22, 2020
    How valuable was Jonah Mathews to SC? 4 year player, 37% career 3 shooter, excellent on the ball defender. He and Utomi made up the 3 point shooting this year. We have nothing on the roster that can replace either of them. I hope we get someone at SG who can play both ends.

14. Rich Ruben

Rich Ruben Member

Mar 23, 2020
    Max Agbonkpolo and redshirt Noah Bauman can shoot and as the roster stands now will be heavily relied upon. Neither compares to Jonah as a defender. The Trojans definitely need help

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  15. Eeks2284

Eeks2284 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2020
    Great write ups the entire year and agree with a lot of your analysis. I do think USC needs an effective creator like a Ziaire Williams to be a conference contender next year. Someone who can force teams to guard the perimeter so the Mobleys can do damage inside. Enfield needs big developmental jumps from most of Max, Elijah, Ethan, Drake and Kyle.

Think everyone believes in the system and wants to stick around (not transfer out) to fight for the minutes there for the taking with Big O, Utomi, Nick and Jonah on the way out? Would love to see London develop into a rotation player at some point, as long as it doesn't interfere with his promising future on the gridiron. Really looking forward to seeing what Baumann can contribute as well.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.