Goodbye to the Duke

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by TrueTrojan, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Goodbye to the Duke
    TrueTrojan

TrueTrojan Junior Member

Jul 10, 2020

2. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I think the message here is to take time to understand what people say and who they are; not respond too quickly and make hasty decisions. In this case, the materials from the exhibit are not gone just off display. I think the notion of putting quotes in context and learning from the larger picture is important.

3. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Yep. I posted that same sentiment a few days ago. College 1 vs College 2; Team 1 vs Team 2; Site: Field 1; Kickoff @ 7:30pm; no mascots or logos allowed; no fight songs; no cheering for either team. Enter, sit down, shut up, and watch the game - Enjoy!

4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    PC for the win.

SCBIGTIME likes this.
  5. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Good and long overdue. He may have been a decent actor but his vile and racist publicly documented views did not make him a decent person that needs to be honored by my University. I am positive that there's not a player on the USC football team if shown the comments that he made back in 1971 would want to honor this man.

6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    You mean like this cinema student said last year?

"Wayne made terrible and condemnable comments … but [that] is not what he is known for,” one student said. “I think there are many positive elements of John Wayne and looking at a figure historically, you have to look at the negative sides and point them out, and I think we should definitely do that, but I also think that he is a net positive figure.”

Is there any remarkable difference between the exhibit materials being "not gone" and "just off display"? Lol, nice neutral-washing of the outcome. The exhibit BTW, was only 8 years old. I assume Max and USC had no issues with The Duke then as they were happy to take money from the donor who paid for the exhibit.

The Western film genre is a historically documented entity. John Wayne was one of it's most prolific participants. John Wayne was a Trojan. He was married 3 times....to an American of Panamanian descent, a Mexican, and a Peruvian. The John Wayne Cancer Foundation, started by his family, has raised hundreds of millions to fight cancer, focused on educating youth about skin cancer, and has driven "innovative programs that improve cancer patients' outcomes and save lives through research, education, awareness and support." That includes the John Wayne Cancer Institute at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica. There is no doubt that his name has resulted in the saving of lives. FACTS.

But yes, let's just "cancel" John Wayne because of comments he made to fucking Playboy magazine.

7. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    His comments were offensive then and they are offensive now. USC cannot and will not celebrate racism - regardless of what vile views were tolerated decades ago. Turning a blind eye in the past to blatant overt racism is not justification for doing so in the present - USC is better than that.

8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    A John Wayne exhibit is not celebrating racism. He was married to 3 women of color...guess that escaped you. Other than some regrettable comments he gave to a nudie magazine, please provide specific examples of John Wayne's racism. And no, USC is not better than that....paging Dr Tyndall.
    Long overdue? The exhibit has only been in place for 8 years. If every man, or woman, is to be judged by future generations based on a handful of comments, rather than their entire life's worth of accomplishments and philanthropy, hell is going to be one crowded place.

Liberals like to use the the carbon neutrality approach toward the environment....negative impacts can be neutralized by other behaviors. So why do you not apply the same thought process to a human being who clearly contributed far more to society than most, used his name and fame for good, instead of focusing on minutiae.

Is USC in the habit of turning toward the football team as the de facto authority these days? In the entire student population, they aren't much. I would put a cinema student's opinion above theirs. And sorry, but you can't be positive. The only thing you can be positive about is that no player would publicly support the Duke but I am positive some would be okay with the exhibit....because they judge fairly, not in a vacuum.

9. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    And to be honest if it were not for football talent 75% would not qualify to get into the school. Not an admonition but a fact. John Wayne was one of our greatest treasures.

10. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ah, the obnoxious "we're better than that" defense. "Dean of diversity and inclusion?" We have one of those? How embarrassing.

11. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Apparently "Deans of Inclusion and Diversity" do, in fact, read Playboy just for the articles.

12. Rodgarnay51

Jul 11, 2020
    40 years ago no less. I knew when political correctness started to take hold it would lead to stuff like this.

13. Rodgarnay51

Jul 11, 2020
    LOL!! Thanks for the humor.

14. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    And you are probably one of those that see Floyd and Brooks as martyrs despite their extensive and violent criminal history.

15. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I’ll listen to you after you prove to me that you’ve never once in your life said anything stupid. Until then I’ll continue to judge people in a more open-minded and tolerant manner.

16. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I visited Grant’s Grove in King’s Canyon last week, marveling at the awe inspiring 270’ tall and 40 ft wide sequoia tree named after Ulysses Grant.

His statue in San Francisco was recently toppled by “activists”, though Grant’s life and achievements as a union general and president were remarkable, apparently the “woke” leftist mob of today doesn’t approve, so down he goes!

Will they cut down the General Grant tree next ?

And how about digging up graves like the Bolsheviks did of the tsars?

What’s the end game?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  17. KnightsWhoSayNi

KnightsWhoSayNi Junior Member

Jul 11, 2020
    “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
    George Orwell, 1984