Golfing Questions.

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by Canyon, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Golfing Questions.
    Canyon

Canyon Junior Member

Sep 22, 2020
    To all the golfers on the board, have questions for 2 Pro golfers. Looking for your input and answers. I’m not a golfer (don’t know a thing about the game), but saw the recent US Open on TV. Sometimes, I watch golf on TV, even though I do not understand what commentators are talking about. I’m most interested in the putting game (short game).

1. Bryson Dechambeau. What do you guys think of his golfing strategy. The commentators are taken back with his style. He was last hitting the fairways, a dismal 23% (drives and long game), but he still won by a large margin. The commentators said that was remarkable golfing. Conventional school, one must hit the FW at least 60+% to have a winning chance.

They said BD goal is hit drives fairly straight, but goes all out for distance. They commented a lot about his massive weight gain: +30 lb. of muscle (looks like a football MLB). BD does heavy weight training. Commentators are baffle with that type of training. They said that BD is changing the game and how to win...

2. Jordan Spieth. Split with commentators evaluating his recent down fall. One said it was mental. The other said it was physical or mechanics. What do you guys think? Man, just 3 years ago J.Spieth was the #1 player and dominated Golf…

Looking forward to your feedback and answers. Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020

2. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Spieth tinkered with his game, lost his head....

3. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Dechambeau is all about power. He uses a single plane swing. He has a physics degree. He is an analytics nerd. He has looked at the single plane swing and has enhanced it by making all of his irons the same length. Additionally, he added more than 40 lbs. to enhance his strength and power. His game is all about physics and biomechanics. He has perfected this like nobody else and has analyzed it like nobody else. He hit only 23 fairways out of 72 holes played. He did not care. He hit the ball as far as he could even if it went into the rough. When you hit the ball 350 yards it shortens the game no matter where you are on the course. These new golfers are going to change this entire game in the future. He is just the beginning.

Canyon likes this.
  4. August West

August West Points Member

Sep 22, 2020
    1. The Tour is set up for bomb n gouge these days. Chicks dig the long ball.
    The fairways were too tight(typical Scandia set up by the USGA, functional retards that crew). If the fairways are too wide, length wins. If the fairways are too tight, length wins. IOW, if the best drivers of the ball Webb Simpson or Louis Oosthuizen for example, are hitting 2,3 4 fairways a round, the fairways are too tight.
    Bryson is long enough....which allows him to take totally different lines than the field....that the rough wasn’t penal to him.

2. Jordan is a good, not great player.....had a run of making 200’ of putts every week, and he happened to do it during the majors. I love the kid, but he’s not the elite player that Rory or Rahm are. Do I think he wins again? Absolutely. But he’s not winning a bunch of majors.

It’s interesting you brought these two up, as both of them have had issues on the greens....and both rely heavily on the “book” the players get each week. I think with both, it was a case of paralysis by analysis.....Bryson has just done a better job of pulling himself out of the funk.

Canyon likes this.
  5. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Sep 22, 2020
    My $.02

The easy one is Speith having lost it mentally. As Bobby Jones said, "Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears." [paraphrase?]... Eldrick Woods was really into his zen, and when something messed that up he wasn't the machine the press fell in love with. For example, he almost never won a PGA tournament, let alone a major, unless he held the lead going into the last day. No come from behind major wins until last years improbably Masters win by one stroke over 3 others. I would even go so far as to say that Eldrick's mentality finally matured that day last year. Who could forget his intimidation tactics over Phil at Pebble and Torrey Pines. https://www.pgatour.com/news/2009/05/09/charttiger.html this is actually not very often as a percentage, and no major until last year.

The hard one is putting. There are so many different styles and methods - there's no right way, only a comfortable way. And as peoples's games evolve or devolve they work their way into an odd style - sometimes on purpose to get an edge and sometimes without even realizing it. Jack Nicklaus became so crouched over in his career, he was surprised to see himself on TV. I recall Isao Aoki was about the opposite of Bryson with his hands as low as he could get them and the toe of the putter up in the air.

We try all sorts of crazy shit trying to make putting more accurate and consistent. And what you see on TV all greatly depends on what type of putter feels best to us. Some use blades and others use mallets, and other use bizarre hybrids that look like spiders or bats. I chose a flanged blade and put some lead tape on the back. Offset hosels don't seem to really help. Loads of gimmics abound. So you adjust to the weight and area and length and lie which dictates your swing. Some people practice for hours every day when they are out on tour. I watched Jim Furyk from the clubhouse for two hours straight one time. Some only warm up for the round. We always had crazy putting contests for drinks after a round or hitting balls a few hours at the end of the day. Bottom line, feel dictates all.

I think what matters the most is understanding physics enough to read a break and your ability to come through the ball straight at the right speed. I try to get the blade to be on the upswing to give it a bit of top spin have grown up playing the bumpy greens in southern California and try to get it to die just past the hole. That's the best chance at a two put or making it. Lot's of people smash it so gravity can't do it's thing and leave themselves a dubious putt coming back which is 50/50 or worse.

Those are my COVID inspired thoughts at the keyboard today. I did earn a golf scholarship but never played professionally and my handicap never quite got to scratch [was only a 2] and my best round ever [66] was not as good as what we saw Sunday. And I had way too many swing coaches that weren't really that good looking back on it. This feels weird talking in the first person so much - prolly not a good thing on a public forum.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  6. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Sep 22, 2020
    I’d be more interested in the women’s tour with a discussion on the impact of breast implants on both the long and short game.

7. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 22, 2020
    That is essentially what got Ben Wright fired

tommytrojan1122 and August West like this.
  8. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Don’t know who Ben Wright is, but sounds like a good guy. I was just expressing what would interest me. Otherwise, I don’t watch golf.

9. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Ben was a great tv golf commentator.....He made some crack about the difficulty of swinging encountered by some of the women, and he got fired over it....I thought he got a raw deal....

10. August West

Sep 22, 2020
    He did....great guy.

11. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Sep 23, 2020
    For putting, try this little drill:

Find a flat spot on your practice green, set down a small target like another golf ball out about 8-10 feet, then using some kinda straight edge ( the shaft of your putter for example)set down a little marker ( i break off a tee flush in the ground to have just a little white dot as the mark) on the exact line between the ball you intend to putt and the target. Now set up to make the putt and see if all three line up. They should, you lined them up with a straight edge. I will bet a real sum of $$$ that they do not to your eye. I bet you will see them as a slight triangle, the little marker looking either right or more likely left of the target ( for a right hand golfer.)

Until you develop a stance, set up and eye focus that gets all 3 perfectly in line pre putt, you will be an indifferent putter. You are wasting your time practicing your putting stroke until your eyes see the line exactly as is.

Canyon and August West like this.
  12. August West

Sep 23, 2020
    Yup. Good stuff. Most folks have one eye that’s dominant over the other, and it tends to overpower what is real down the line. Most are right eye dom, and set up too far right (full swing as well). I can’t tell you how many people I’ve taught that simply had alignment issues. What folks don’t realize is, the sub conscious is extremely powerful in golf, and it will over compensate automatically....as you alluded, you can make perfect strokes/swings, but it does no good if that setup/alignment is off.

Canyon and CrownoftheValley like this.