Goff and JT looked pretty similar last night

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GoSC27!, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Goff and JT looked pretty similar last night
    GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Last night’s Super Bowl sure looked familiar to some of our games last season. 2 things in particular. Obviously there was no running game, resulting in the most tell tailing stat on each of the Ram’s drives, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, ........
    The second thing that was evident were the constant shots taken by Goff. Even when he tried to evade the rush he took shots. Eventually, that led to the one play he is going to remember all off season long. The Gilmore interception. If you go back and see the replay, fundamentals broke down and he through off of his back foot, leading to an under thrown ball. He saw the rush coming and threw a bad pass. He knew it as soon as he released the ball. We saw many of the same in JT’s games.
    So does that make Goff a mediocre/bad quarterback? Trevor Lawrence was elevated to NFL status after his play in the CFP championship, but the difference was that he had an Oline that could run and pass block.
    Last night’s game brought back painful memories of our 2018 season. Very poor offensive game planning, no run game, poor Oline play, no half time adjustments, and a QB taking hit after hit. The only bright spot was the defense that played lights out, until they got gassed out in the last minute.
    In no means am I comparing McVay to Helton/Tee. It was one game and the old dog taught the new dog that there is still a lot to learn. But two things stood out. First, there are many that are still busting on JT from last season’s play. Last night showed what happens when a QB takes continued shots. I am not making a case for JT, but it does take a toll on a QB as was evident last night.
    Second, last night showed that defense wins championships. Yes the Air Raid and high scoring offenses make the games more entertaining, but Bellachick put his trademark defense on display. I say this because there is high optimism for Harrell an his new offensive system. Having endured Helton/Tee’s Offense for the past 2 years anything is a welcomed change, but as last night demonstrated, given time someone will figure out how to stop these high powered offenses. McVay like Goff will be thinking about this one the whole off season!
    Fight On!

2. FTFO33

FTFO33 Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Actually, Goff only threw 5 passes longer than 30 yards. Half of his attempts were within 10 yards and the rest were between 10 & 20, where he completed 58% of his passes. It came down to poor reads, poor o-line play & no running game.

3. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Saw NE used Fullback blocking for RB, Power football. Old school still works

4. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    And that poor offensive line production loses them...

5. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Great post, but I would make a case that had the Rams had an experienced QB behind center the outcome might have been different. After watching the first two series, I started to 'know' how the game was going to end up. I was really impressed with the Rams defense. Kept that game close - it should have been a blowout. Goff was the obvious young qb playing in his first Super Bowl last night. Neither he, nor McVey, were going to beat the old experienced dogs yesterday.

6. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Yeah, that game definitely reminded me of USC's games in 2018. Inept offense, poor blocking, missing wide open WRs and the defense trying to keep it close to have a chance.

Did you all notice how NE spread out LA's offensive line? There was probably five feet of space in between each defensive lineman so that it opened up space as the offensive linemen adjusted to where they "thought" the defender was coming from. At that point they just strafed to the left or right and came right through. There was no way to double team anyone rushing the QB because there wasn't anyone else in the immediate area to move over to help.

7. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Feb 4, 2019
    I saw your posts on the SB thread last night and I was thinking the same, but Goff said one thing in his presser that made me think otherwise, he was not doing the playcalling. That was in reference to the play mix.
    And you are right McVay was out coachef by a HOF coach, he could not even figure it out at halftime and he had more time then usual with the half time concert.
    Maybe a veteran QB would have made a difference like Aaron Rodgers, but they are still following the offensive game plan that was set by McVay.
    Fight On!

8. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    New England took top offenses in the Chargers, Chiefs and Rams and made them all look average or worse.

New Orleans/New England would have been interesting, but I think same outcome.
    It was an extremely impressive 3 game run.

9. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Then again when a QB lets up at the sideline on a scramble and is plowed seven yards into the down markers, and there is no flag, well that can sorta get into a guy's head.
    Just a guess, but had that been Brady, there would have been a flag.

Peete2Affholter likes this.
  10. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    HA HA... even though he was headed out of bounce, his foot was clearly in, Goff should have puckered his ass cheeks up... that hit was fair game all day long.

This is how Belichick coaches... due to his being a good coach he knows Goff is young and his first SB. As long as they are within the game, knock Goff around and rattle him as much as you can. That in itself is a game plan and a good HC will try to exploit that... as we saw against JT last year.

PickSicx and GoSC1 like this.
  11. biglouie

biglouie Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Great coaches scheme to exploit the other team's weaknesses

12. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Feb 4, 2019
    But here is the kicker, if you graded the Ram’s Oline during the season play, you would not have thought they would be the problem. Hell both Gurley and Goff had an unbelievable season. It goes to show how coaching can make or break a team. We suffered so long with Callaway and he is one of the primary reasons that Helton is where he is at today and same with our football program!
    Fight On!

13. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Feb 4, 2019
    His attempts "down the field" were LIMITED, not because of "poor reads" (your words) as much as NE Defense WAS NOT going to give up the vertical play...force Under Routes and RALLY to the ball! Great defensive plan. Actually, the Rams had the same plan, NE QB just made a few more throws because the Rams tried to cover Edelman MAN TO MAN...and that rarely works...Edelman, by the way, was a 3* QB...just sayin'.

And, again, was it REALLY "poor o-line play" OR just a great DEFENSIVE plan to bring pressure, thereby, throwing the entire Rams offense into a spiral.

It's interesting to me that GREAT coverage and pressure on the QB are often interpreted as "Poor Reads". Not saying poor reads didn't happen, just that in Football (as in life) Cause/Effect play important roles!

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

PickSicx and DaFireMedic like this.
  14. FTFO33

FTFO33 Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    You're right, it was a great defensive game plan. But there was no adjustment. You know they're bringing pressure...so why are the O-Lineman confused when they do? Why isn't a RB staying in? Why aren't we throwing another TE out there to help? As you said, cause/effect play important roles.

RB4SC likes this.
  15. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Was it ever revealed why Gurley (spelling?) wasn't in the game much, particularly in the first half? I know the announcers were talking about it a lot. I didnt listen to the post game stuff. But having their best Offensive Player on the sideline struck me as odd.

Fyton82 likes this.
  16. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Exactly. I would say that (rattling Goff) was a key major factor in the game plan, which is why I believe the outcome might have been different had the Rams had a seasoned vet behind center. A good coach exploits a potential weakness and game plans for it.

17. racea911

racea911 Junior Member

Feb 4, 2019
    There was one rather large difference. JT looked like that against the Cal's and UCLA's of the world. How would JT have looked against the best team in the nation, because that is what Goff faced? Thankfully we didn't have to suffer through a JT Daniels and USC offense versus a Clemson or Alabama this year. Heck, we didn't even have to face Oregon or Washington.

18. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Best team or best “Coached” team. That qualifier makes a big difference!
    Fight On!

19. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Of course all these QB's can be good if they have line protection. Look at Brady's. Edelman getting off the line untouched and O-line giving lot's of time. Brady's been at it a long time and knows his offense better than anyone else, but, Goff and JT can do that too to a degree. JT might be really good at it if he doesn't get touched.

But the game is about getting hit and being able to win with getting hit. Sam showed you can make a lot of money for your coach if you can win while getting hit.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  20. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Feb 5, 2019
    Goff's problems had nothing to do with his offensive line. McVey was simply out-coached. All season long, he had McVey shouting the defense into his headset as he went to the line. But during the Super Bowl, the Pats confused him repeatedly by lining up in one defense, and then switching to another right before the snap. The Pats had never run that four-quarters zone defense that the Bears used so effectively to beat the Rams earlier in the season. They put that defense in during the two weeks leading up to the game and the Rams couldn't figure out how to adjust to it. And to counter the Rams zone running attack, the Pats were running a 6-1 defensive front. Who do you block? The outside linebackers were rolled right up to the line. Hightower got two sacks that way -- the tackles didn't know who to pick up.

The best breakdown that I've read on how New England totally confused him was done by SI.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/04/bill-belichick-sean-mcvay-super-bowl-liii

Belichick totally out-schemed the Rams coaching staff in every facet of the game except punting.

And as for Goff getting hit on the sideline, it's a contact sport. Throw the ball away, sprint until you are completely out of bounds, or you are going to get your butt lit up by a big angry man. That was a clean play and no flag should have been thrown. The refs got it right.

ca4usc likes this.