Get real, football ain’t happening till 2021, at the earliest.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by flyfishintrojan, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Get real, football ain’t happening till 2021, at the earliest.
    flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Jul 29, 2020
    Why are we even talking about football this fall? Baseball has way less physical contact than blocking and tackling, and baseball can’t even control covid. How would one control viral spread amongst linemen?

The season would have already been mothballed but for all the money that will be lost. The NFL will be toast. Does anyone give a hoot about a 60 game baseball season? They aren’t even opening grade schools, but they are going to play football?! Not going to happen.

Who wakes up nowadays and opens the newspaper sports section even for a glance? There is nothing to see. I get that college football is a rabid temporal habit, when fall arrives, it is in our blood to be a fan, but it ain’t happening.

SoAmericanTrojan likes this.

2. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 29, 2020
    Is there going to be an article about how California players are less COVID-resistant than players from the South and Midwest?

VM805 and KnightsWhoSayNi like this.
  3. flyfishintrojan

Jul 29, 2020
    No, but when I looked the “ strength and conditioning” pics posted by Erik, I thought they looked kinda soft. Something in the H2O?

4. xuscx

xuscx Junior Member

Jul 29, 2020
    I have to agree. A couple games and half the players will be in quarantine. The spread is too fast in close contact.

5. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 29, 2020
    Too much fluoride in our CA water. Need more lead and arsenic like in the Midwest. In the South I assume they still pump their water out of the ground and share it with a communal dipper from a rain barrel. Makes them strong. California babies are given Evian water instead of formula.

6. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jul 29, 2020
    Two weeks ago, was talking to a friend about this. I gave CFB a 10% chance of completing a season.

Currently, I’m down to 2%.

Between positive cases, multiple-player quarantines, howling parents, kids with weak habits, and game scheduling failures....don’t see it happening.

7. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Jul 29, 2020
    For those who thought just exposing the whole team at a covid party to get it out of the way was a great idea. Studies are coming out showing that relatively young people who had mild covid cases and recovered at home showed heart damage similar to after a heart attack. If even a mild case means a 20 year old kid might not pass an NFL physical that's not a risk the 20 year old will want to run.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid19-concerns-about-lasting-heart-damage/

8. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 29, 2020
    Seems like NFL teams offering refunds on season tickets.

9. flyfishintrojan

Jul 29, 2020
    Good find, and very scary stuff. The responsible thing would be to cancel football now. Obviously it is a $$$ issue. The Marlins baseball team is toast, after 2 games. I think CFB is being irresponsible. How do you practice, how do you manage the sidelines, how do you protect the staff?

sctrojan2006 likes this.
  10. TroyInception

TroyInception Member

Jul 29, 2020

With your doom and gloom outlook, I have an idea...
    Curl up in a ball, keep tissues near, and let the rest of us enjoy our sports as we please...
    But thank you for projecting your fears.

11. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Jul 29, 2020
    I get the NCAA trying to figure out something that will work for as long as possible, but I have a sinking feeling that at the end of the day they will have to throw in the towel. Not what I wish for, but it's looking more and more likely that's where it will end up.

12. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Reality is that no "plans" have any certainty...none! Not kids going back to school, not sports, not work, not anything. Until we can choke this pandemic, everything is TBD. We can make all the plans and try to put ourselves in the best positions, but the minute a mini-surge happens on a team/league/city/state, all bets are off.

Like Mike Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face."

Tod78 likes this.
  13. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jul 30, 2020
    With apologies to Mike Tyson, I'm still waiting for the viral "punch in the face." And don't give me the death toll (inflated, casualties would have died from flu given preexisting health), the doomsday models, or "what if" screeds--it's political, period. I can live without football, yes, but the cancel culture is more than just a name.

14. Tamatoa916

Tamatoa916 Junior Member

Jul 30, 2020
    I lost a fam member to Covid two weeks ago, 27 years young fought for 11 days before he passed. You dont want to be the one praying that you Or a family member can beat this. The stats in Ca are showing high percentage of mortality for Pacific Islanders.... About a week or so ago there was a big HS lineman camp in Utah. Participants traveled from Ca Nev...One of the top recruits from Utah, his mother and sister tested positive for Covid and the mom quarantined everyone in the family. The father then disregarded and sent his boy to the camp. It was all over FB, until the mom pulled down her rant about her dumb ass husband...

Not sure what kind of plan the PAC has, but I don’t see how they could pull this off. There are just way too many variables where one dumb ass will possibly infect everyone...

15. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Never heard of this organization. Not sure It's a credible source and it said the average age of study group is 49 years old.

Not 20 year old fine tuned athletes.

jiordone likes this.
  16. flyfishintrojan

Jul 30, 2020
    WTF, linemen are not “ finely tuned athletes, they are very fat kids carrying way too much weight to be healthy and many die really young, much younger than their age group.

17. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Our ray of sunshine....

18. Merlin4SC

Merlin4SC Junior Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Yeah, but the joke is that no one controls COVID-19 except the PLA/PRC when they had it in their weapons lab. Now it's up to herd immunity. That is the only thing that will bring normalcy back to us, not quarantine and not vaccine and not distancing and not shutting everything down. It's a question of how fast you want to get it over with. Tod78's article would scare the shit out of someone with no critical thinking skills, which just underscores the entire situation. Some panic and some don't care and some are in between somewhere. It's also real hard to talk about this without getting into politics and since this isn't the OT board I'll leave it there.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  19. flyfishintrojan

Jul 31, 2020
    Who is panicking over football? If there is no season, whose life would be remotely impacted? Football is gonna be toast this fall, the NFL isn’t going to play. Baseball is a joke.

I don’t know if canceling the season is the right idea or even if it will prevent the spread of a virus possibly no worse than the flu, but no way they can run this risk. There are about 10000 kids playing Div1, and half are linemen who will touch other linemen all game long. If the whole line gets sick, even mildly, what do you do?

20. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jul 31, 2020
    With all due respect, a N=100 or N=39 does not really equate to a study. One would have to expand those numbers five- or ten-fold before any conclusions can be drawn. Morbidity and mortality in this age group is still at the anecdotal level; certainly serious but not at the level where it should drive public policy or even NCAA policy.