Garry P. You Might Find This of Interest

Discussion in 'Trojan Huddle' started by BlemBlam, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Garry P. You Might Find This of Interest
    BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    I was trying to find some stuff online about the late great Raymond Lewis.
    Anyone of a certain age who grew up in Southern California in the 60’s remember Raymond when he was at Verbum Dei

He is the greatest basketball player to ever come out of this area, and it really isn’t close IMO.

ESPN did a 30 for 30 about Marcus Dupree, called the best that never was.

Well Raymond was a better basketball player than Marcus Dupree was a football player. Again, my opinion.

Anyway, in this short video, a trailer for a Documentary about Raymond, they show a brief film clip of the All CIF BB team and the center was none other than our friend, the wonderful David Baker

Rodgarnay51, bob c in az and DJ4SC like this.

2. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Jul 8, 2018
    That’s great Blem, thanks for sharing. Always good to get a reminder of the Commish.

I obviously missed the Raymond Lewis era so i'm not as familiar with him, I would always say that John Williams at Crenshaw was the best I saw from the area, so if you're saying Lewis was better that speaks volumes about his game.

3. SCnut1

SCnut1 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018

I remember him well Blem. The high school I went to (Villa Park) played Lewis and Verbum Dei in the CIF semis in 1970 which was Lewis sophomore year I believe. That game held a CIF record for years as the highest scoring playoff game at 113-94. We didn’t have a starter over 6’2” but were called the Blue Blitz because we were in full court press mode at all times. Lewis broke our press all by himself and sent us packing.
    He went on to play at Cal-State LA and was drafted by the Sixers. Legend has it that he dropped 60 on their top draft pick Doug Collins by HALFTIME! He has a website for anyone that is interested in learning more about his incredible ability. https://www.raymondlewis.com/

4. CrownoftheValley

CrownoftheValley Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    I remember him too... great b-ball player for sure. I’ll bet CBKU knows who he is too.

5. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    You were at Villa Park with my cousin, Chris Armstrong and another kid I grew up with in Anaheim named Larry Pharris who’s older brother Ron was an All CIF RB at Anaheim and ran track and played football at USC.

I also can’t start this thread and not mention Mark Wulfemeyer of Troy.

If they had the three point shot in those days, him and Raymond would have averaged 55 points per game.

6. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    John Williams isn’t in the same Universe

We’re taking Michael Jordan, Pete Maravich, Reggie Miller level talent

7. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    I was a young teenager with a burgeoning love for sports, just with little accesss to info in those days....my little AM/FM radio (for Vin Scully and Chickie Baby) and the L.A. Times.

Raymond Lewis was a legend that I could not see...only read about. I’m sure if we had a Rucker Park he would’ve held court with the best of all time.

8. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    I was gonna mention Reggie....and Walton and Pierce.

9. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Crenshaw’s Marques Johnson was about the most dominant high school guy that I actually saw in my age.

Just dominated the paint.

10. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Another great one to add to the list.

Pudly76 likes this.
  11. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Points Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Dwayne Polee, playing for Manual Arts in the city championship against Cresnshaw in about the 1980/81 season, had the single most dominant game I have ever seen in high school basketball. The dude could do no wrong. He went on to moderate success in college and pro, but if he had been able to continue that level of play he would have been an easy lottery pick.

12. bob c in az

bob c in az Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Never saw the guy. The best I ever saw was Willie Nauls from San Pedro. He was California Mr Basketball in 1952, played at UCLA and did 9 years or so with the NY knicks.

biglouie likes this.
  13. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    The
    watch that video, pretty sure he is in it, talking about Raymond

14. SCnut1

SCnut1 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    I was on the track team with Chris and was pretty good friends with Larry. Ron Pharris went to VP as a sophomore then transferred to Anaheim. Small world!

15. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    I don’t think Ronnie went to VP anytime. He was two grades ahead of me all the way through school at Lincoln Elementary and Sycamore JR HS in Absheim and even Larry went to Sycamore in the 7th grade which was Ronnie’s sophomore year.

I’m pretty sure I saw Ron play varsity at Anaheim as a sophomore. But it was a long time ago

I also never knew my cousin Chris ran track. His older brother Kent was one of the greatest tracksters ever at Orange HS

Did you ever have their mom as a teacher? Mrs Perry?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  16. SCnut1

SCnut1 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Your first paragraph must have been around the time that the Pharris family moved to Villa Park. Ron and Larry’s Dad was C.L. Pharris. I’m sure you saw his blue cement trucks around OC back in those days. I know for sure that Ron was at VP his sophomore year because my brother-in-law was a pole vaulter on that same squad. There must have been a transition of some sort going on at that time because Larry ended up at VPHS with us.
    I vaguely remember Kent Armstrong at Orange High. My recall is a little slow these days. I’ll check with my sister because she and my brother-in-law went to OHS while VP was being built. They were in the first graduating at VP.
    Chris was a sprinter if I remember correctly. I’m actually down in Baja right now visiting my best friend of 54 years that knew Larry really well and also ran track with Chris and I. I’ll see how he recalls things.
    When CL Pharris passed he left the concrete company to his 3 sons who ended up selling it to a Mexican conglomerate for Millions many years back.

17. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Ok, I’ll take your word that Ron went to VP, I sure don’t remember that. I also knew about the cement company. I think they owned some quarries down off the river too.
    I sat right next to their older brother, Jerry at a VP - Esperanza playoff game back in the 80’s. It was when Travis Kirshke was Esperanza and caught up a little on Larry.

A little side note. One of my best friends played CB at SA Valley back in the mid 60’s for Dick Hill. He was on the team that upset Anaheim.

He said “ Ooh, Ron Pharris was one fast white boy”

He literally may be the fastest white guy to ever come out of OC.

My step cousin, David Perry was in the first graduating class at VP too

18. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Went to MA a year with Dwayne. I often tell people, if you didn't see Polee play, just look at Dwayne Wade. Basically a reincarnation of the same player.

19. SCnut1

SCnut1 Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    I sent you a PM. I remember how fast Ron was and was bummed that he was leaving VP to go back to Anaheim. I did check with my sister and she does remember him at VP for a year. As a side note my Nephew started at OG for Esperanza back in the middle 80’s. They were heavily favored to beat Donnie Gibson and El Modena in the CIF semis but got upset. His name is Eric Seabold. He played in the OC all-star game his senior year and was going head to head with Mike Beech who ended up going to UCLA.

20. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jul 8, 2018
    For some reason I can’t get PM’s
    When I go to My Account, I get a blank page