Future is Bright

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by RRDub, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Future is Bright
    RRDub

RRDub Junior Member

Mar 19, 2017
    If Boatwright stays, we return all five starters. Metu will be an absolute beast next year. With the transfer from Duke and a nice recruiting class, we will be loaded. Need to see Melton and Matthews improve their offensive game, which they should be able to do in year two. Bummed that Shaq Aaron had such a limited impact and at this point is at the end of the bench. Never the less, this team should win the P-12 next year. Go get em Coach Enfield!

2. norcalsurfer408

norcalsurfer408 Junior Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Enfield's hardest job in the coming weeks is to try to get Metu to come back (I feel Boatwright wouldn't hurt that much)

3. billtrojan

billtrojan Junior Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Would be great if everyone came back + the incoming class and thornton. We would be legit next year

Any way we can nudge shaqquan aaron out or something? Does he really need to occupy a scholarship spot for 2 more years? He's pretty useless and we could use that spot for a player that contributes. Nudge him out like the other guys that transferred out recently

4. MaxieMan98

MaxieMan98 Junior Member

Mar 19, 2017
    They need some muscle inside. I really like Metu, but he is built like a stick

5. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Mar 19, 2017

Another summer of weights and basketball should help both Metu and a developing Rakocevic. I think Rak has some good potential.

Maybe Metu could move up to the high post area if Rak develops some bulk. Metu has a decent mid-range shot....him facing up with shoot/drive options would keep him very active and tough to guard.

6. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Mar 19, 2017
    USC is still going to have the same problem as long as Enfield continues to ignore it.
    There needs to be someone on this team that can be an low-post, inside presence on both ends of the floor.
    Metu was that guy last season on defense, then he shifted over to worrying about offense.

I don't care how many skilled Stretch PF and Euro bigs you land, without someone able to constantly contest shots at the rim on defense, you always have a seat at the table, but won't eat as much as the others (Arizona/Oregon/UCLA).

7. bigSCreen

bigSCreen Junior Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Sounds like you forgot about the UCLA game and the fact that Aaron basically single handily won that game with his hot shooting. He is streaky but far from useless. He needs to add strength, get better on D and find his confidence. Boatright is a ball hog and although he is very talented and been a key player for us, he does tend to over do it on taking shots and those few shots he could be dishing out per game is the difference between a guy like Aaron staying productive or fading in the background and losing his confidence.

We are going to need Aaron next year. We were one player short this year of being able to really make a run and it was really the loss of Julian Jacobs that would have been the difference. If he started over Melton we would have won this game handidly and won a 4-5 other games that we lost narrowly. Bottom line we need an experienced vet like Aaron will be next year to be deep enough to have a chance at a real run. Boatright might leave and Metu may as well which would completely paralyze us if we lost Aaron. We have some young guns coming in but experience is key and it played out that way today as we saw from Melton who turned the ball over on errant passes too often, Mathews out of sync and a non factor and even the slightly more experienced Metu continues to over play the block shot and hurt us down the stretch with 2 goal tends. Next year will be a final 4 type team if the whole gang sticks together and gets stronger and smarter from a basketball IQ standpoint.

8. DPforlife

DPforlife Junior Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I think Aaron will be OK. Played these last few weeks with zero confidence. All of his minutes went away once Boatwright came back. And, it's really hard to get into the flow of a game knowing that you'll only be in there for a few minutes a game. I think that's why he pressed so much lately.

I think Boatwright and Metu are gone. Both had really good NCAA tourneys - on the biggest stage. Will be surprised if either returns.

9. USCFan1991

USCFan1991 Junior Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Metu and Boatwright returning would be huge for us. They are our two leading scorers this year (ppg). Derryck Thornton, Jordan Usher, and Charles O'Bannon Jr. are excellent additions to an already loaded front court - if no one transfers this will be the top back court in the PAC12 next year. I like how Rakocevic has progressed, he could start next year if Metu leaves. And I suspect we would go for a grad transfer if we lost Boatwright. I like Marcus Lee from Cal, who was at Kentucky previously

10. uscmike5524

uscmike5524 Junior Member

Mar 20, 2017

We would not have gotten this far without Melton's Swiss army knife game. The rise in turnovers for Melton occurred when he lost all confidence in his jumper and the defenders didn't have to respect it cutting off his passing lanes and making him one-dimensional on offense. A perfect example of this was in the 2nd half when not long after draining his first jumper in two games he received a pass in the flow of the offense to the same area where he moments before had made a 3. Instead of letting it fly, he drove right into the strength of Baylors defense and got his shot blocked. Defensively as a freshman he was already one of the best help defenders in college basketball and we would not have been close in the game without his efforts on that side of the court. Where he struggles on defense and where Matthews is superb is guarding quicker players on the ball. That's why I was concerned when he was guarding Lecomte at the end of the game.

11. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And what makes you think he is ignoring it? Wanting something and being able to get it are not the same thing.

And one to many block shots likely cost us the game against Baylor. But we did a pretty good job of altering shots.

12. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Mar 20, 2017
    At some point, we find the type of recruit you want, whether it is someone that can go immediately, or that will be a project.
    Since I have been following USC basketball recruiting (2014), the only one that I can think of that fits would be B.McCoy who I am not sure is even considering USC.

Altering or blocking are the same, so long as they both end up in your opponent not getting a basket, and you getting another possession.

13. TrueTrojan

TrueTrojan Junior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    I agree. Really nice job by AE

14. T0mmyTr0jan

T0mmyTr0jan Junior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    For me I am really happy with the year we had. I have constantly said this is a building process and we can't get too impatient. The first step for Enfield was laying the foundation of talent. He went out and got great recruiters and slowly stocked up on players. The second step was teaching kids how to win. Without veterans on the team to help it made it hard to keep all of the kids focused on the goal of playing the right way as a team. The third step was winnning and the fourth was getting to the tournament.

We took a massive leap forward winning a tourney game this year. The foundation is solid and the next step is securing the Elite prospects. Next year, we get O'Bannon and Thorton, so the Elite talent is starting to look at USC as a possible destination for their college career. Once we get these types of kids on a regular basis getting to the tourney will be automatic and the focus will be on deep runs. I can't wait!

15. USCFan1991

USCFan1991 Junior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    USC finished T-5 in the PAC12 last year. Here is how the other top teams are looking for next year

Arizona - Will likely lose Trier and Markkanen to the draft, but are bringing in #1 overall recruit Deandre Ayton and potentially 5* forward Brian Bowen. They will be as good or better next year.
    Oregon - wouldn't be surprised if they lose Brooks and Dorsey, their best scorers, but are bringing in Troy Brown and probably Brandon McCoy, both 5*s who are more than capable of filling in. And other top recruits... they could be even better next year
    UCLA - They will experience a complete overhaul, with 4 starters leaving if memory serves. Lonzo Ball will not be replaced by any recruit they add and neither will be TJ Leaf, unless Kris Wilkes really surprises. I like their class but I think they will need a year to gel (especially if their coach leaves), but after that they could be dangerous again. Definitely a tournament-worthy roster but a lower seed than this year
    Utah - They will be a very senior-laden team, a lot of experience and returning production. They will be better
    Cal - losing their top 2 players and both are forwards. trending down especially with coach bolting

So my expectations - if we keep Metu and Boatwright - is that we will be improved and full of experience and athleticism. The PAC12 will be very tough next year, but I expect USC to compete for a PAC12 title legitimately for the first time in recent memory. I would think that the final standings would be
    1) Oregon - #2 seed or better
    2) Arizona - #2 seed or better
    3) USC - #3 seed or better
    4) Utah - #6 seed or bettter
    5) UCLA - #8 seed or better

I could also see a few other PAC12 teams making the tournament because of how good our conference will be, in particular Stanford, who will have a lot of seniors

But I think if USC gels we could definitely finish higher. We also need to play better against two teams in particular, Utah and Oregon

16. TrueTrojan

TrueTrojan Junior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    the best thing is he seems to want to stay here too....he got an offer from NC state