Fox Sports: Rod Dedeaux statue unveiled on Sunday...

Discussion in 'USC Baseball' started by tirebiter, Feb 17, 2014.

2. uscfd

uscfd Junior Member

Feb 17, 2014
    It seems like SC is suddenly putting up a lot of statues. It used to be just Tommy Trojan, then they added The Wild Bunch, George Tirebiter, Traveler, and the new ones in the McKay Center.
    But if anyone deserves a statue, it's Coach Dedeaux.

Dedeaux was the coach when I went to SC. I used to see Lasorda in the stands years later when I took my kids. Sparky Anderson (former SC batboy) was often with him.
    The last time I saw Dedeaux was at Cal-State Fullerton. Walking up the ramp to go to the game, he was standing off to the side. I'm sure a lot of people didn't notice him or recognize him. I said "Hi, Coach!" and he responded back, calling me Tiger like he did everyone. Then I went into the game and sat in front of Anthony Davis, wearing his HOF jacket.

3. Lunderful

Lunderful Junior Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I, too, remember Coach Dedeaux from my time at USC (1971-74). During my freshman year it so happened that I would intercept him while walking to class. I'd say hi and he replied with "How ya doin', Tiger." I felt endeared for the longest time until I was told that he called everyone Tiger. Fred Lynn was down the hall from me in Trojan Hall. I believe that USC won the national title all 4 years I was there. Time flies.....

4. GodCountryampUSC_itul1

GodCountryampUSC_itul1 Junior Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Long, long overdue and well deserved by Coach Dedeaux. I have a cherished autographed Trojans baseball jersey of the coach and often would look at it and wonder "How is this guy rarely mentioned among the greatest coaches/managers of all time? People are quick to mention Coach Wooden but ......"