Former Colorado wide receiver K.D. Nixon is headed to USC

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 22, 2021.

1. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Jan 24, 2021

The team is devoid of speed on the outside. This has been a glaring weakness under Helton. The portal is like free agency, and allows teams to fill holes with experienced players. Bryant, by himself, isn’t enough. See how Bama abuses teams with 3-4 speedsters at WR? It helps open up the running game, too. SC has inexperienced bodies at WR, and the coaches ain’t trying to blow next season waiting for guys to develop. That’s the reason they’re scouring the portal for an experienced LT, too.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 24, 2021
    I'm not buying it either. I was at the ASU game last year and Christon got loose a couple times. It was exciting to see that kind of speed.

Boselli and Butcher22 like this.
  3. LDIABootney

LDIABootney Junior Member

Jan 24, 2021
    You make it sound like 85 is a small number. The NFL has 53 on an active roster.

So let's divide the scholarships.
    See how this looks. Ideally for the offense that is being ran.

Offense - 40 scholarships
    Defense - 40 scholarships
    Special Teams - 4/5 scholarships

Offense
    QB - 4
    RB - 5/6 - The extra one take from ST
    TE - 4
    WR - 11
    OL - 16

This offense runs 3, 4 and occasionally 5 WR sets. Now let's look at the "deep" WR group.

London - The veteran you can trust.
    McCoy - The backup who played a lot. looks ready to maybe breakout.
    Bryant - We don't know yet, but we hope he's ready to do his thing.

Okay that's 3....... the rest

Josh Jackson - Maybe he's just not ready or good enough to contribute.
    JJ3 - Maybe he's only at USC because of who his father and grandfather is???? Maybe I'm wrong but.....
    Kyle Ford - Hopefully, maybe he comes back ready to be a major contributor from the two major injuries...... Hopefully
    Munir McClain - His situation is still up in the air. He still might enter the portal.

3 freshmen - Heck all 3 could be ready to be big contributors, but what if it's just one who's ready to contribute.

Thats all the scholarship WR'S.

Some on here would have you believe that the staff isn't trying to get OL from the portal. It's tough to get the big boys from the South to come out west.
    Is there any major OL in the portal from a Western school?
    USC is in a very weird position when it comes to recruiting. The OL coach apparently wasn't a good recruiter and the team didn't run the ball successfully. So he was fired, however as a selling point if AVT does go in the 1st round USC can claim to be 1 of only 2 schools to have OL drafted in the 1st round the last 2 drafts.
    So that might excite a few kids, they might want to play for that OL coach. Oh yeah he was fired.....

85 is a good amount of scholarships.
    As far as RB'S are concerned. Does anyone remember over a decade ago when the team had 8 and it was said that was too many. That was in a 2 back offense who ran a lot more than now.

4. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 24, 2021
    You bring up very good points, but I would think you would also have to do the same analysis for the Oline and Running backs. Although we may have numbers in the Oline, who would you put at left tackle to protect Slovis? Last season we used a converted Dline to the Oline because they felt he was better then what we had depth wise. Maybe the new S&C trainer can change this, but if the past is any indication, many feel that this year may not be any different from past years. It also does not take into account potential in season injuries.
    The same analysis has to be done with the RB group. Both Carr and Malepai both have shown they have history with injuries and both have not played a full season injury free. That just leaves Christon and Campbell. Depth is really thin here.
    So why is it that we can’t work the Portal to add depth to these position groups? Well the answer would be we are a one dimensional offense. If you come here as Oline you will primarily pass block. If you are a RB and you come here you will primarily pass block. Until that perception is fixed like Carroll did by firing Schottenheimer, good talent at these position groups will be hard to come by.
    Just my thoughts.
    Fight On!

Rodgarnay51 and LDIABootney like this.
  5. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jan 24, 2021
    https://usctrojans.com/sports/football/roster/kenan-christon/11237

I don't for a second believe Christon is that height and weight, but be that as it may, let's pretend he is. Nixon is clearly more stout regardless. And you completely ignored my other points, because they're irrefutable. We have seen Christon is fast, we have not seen him shed tackles or juke defenders. Christon is a cut-and-go back, and also dangerous if he gets around the edge. He's not a proven pass catcher, pass blocker, or screen receiver. There's no data that suggests he's going to make the tackler miss and gain YAC. People here see his sprint times and assume he's dangerous. Again he's not even proven to be as good as Sultan McCullough. I'd take Nixon over Christon any day of the week, in any offense, and twice on Sundays, because I'm confident Nixon can play on Sundays and Christon won't.

Rodgarnay51 and LDIABootney like this.
  6. TKnight

TKnight Junior Member

Jan 26, 2021
    We need talented guys in the trenches on both sides of teh ball

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. Rodgarnay51

Jan 26, 2021
    They've got to get some running backs in here. Signed, Captain Obvious.

8. Rodgarnay51

Jan 26, 2021
    I don't know about Nixon, but Christon is much more explosive in the open field than Sultan ever was. I don't care what their 100 yard time was.

9. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Jan 26, 2021
    And now that we've brought in Ingram, folks are flippin' that Christon will bail, too. :eyeroll

I'd have been a lot happier if Christon transferred and Stepp stayed, I'll say that much.