Football this fall

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Proabably several weeks. The season hasn't always started in late August or the beginning of September as it does today. During WWI it usually started in October and by WWII, it was starting on the last weekend in September. When I attended USC, it started on the third weekend of September.

I don't foresee extending it beyond December, because in must parts of the country the weather would be too cold for football.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  2. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    "Science" has nothing to do with it. Risk managers, insurance carriers, and their attorneys have everything to do with it. If they say it's a serious risk to healthy 18 year olds, it's a serious risk to healthy 18 year olds. I'm in healthcare. That's the way the game is played. If we're lucky, the season will be played in the Spring. IF WE'RE LUCKY!

3. Trojan YAF

Trojan YAF Points Member

Jul 2, 2020
    I can't see football being played in the spring. If we can't have football in the fall, then we might as well wait until '21.

4. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jul 2, 2020
    College football without the pageantry of the Rose Parade, Rose Bowl and other bowls wont be the same....

I cant fathom a late start that would mean no bowls.....

aimeedee likes this.
  5. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    That would be fine with me but the bean counters are going to want to have their say too.

gubo&palanka and J4SC75 like this.
  6. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    I agree, that's why I think they should just get rid of football practice altogether! It can get deadly: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5343527/. The sport itself presents many risks, not necessarily of immediate death, but of a much higher risk of early death: https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy. All of these deaths are very, very preventable.

7. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Every year, a number of football players die or become paralyzed by playing football so should we shut down the sport? A young person can die from the flu as well, or taking Tylenol or any number of drugs, or driving, or being stupid and crossing the street without looking. I would be willing to bet that if every college football player was exposed to this virus, maybe 1 would die and it would be determined that he had heart problems to begin with. We never should have totally shut down the Country, elderly should have stayed home and we’d be over this crisis already. Now, this thing drags out for perhaps another year, who knows.

Troken likes this.
  8. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Football by itself? Possibly no. However football is one of many things we cant enjoy right now and if somebody gets a reverse lottery card so we can go back to living our lives, I'll but a ticket.

9. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    My 22-year old daughter had it and “felt a bit off” for two days. Didn’t even miss any work. Same with her best friend. And they got it from a guy who didn’t even know he had it, only found because his dad wanted the whole family to get tested.

Hysteria is right.

10. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    This year, nothing is the same as it has been. We adjust and fight on.

Troken likes this.
  11. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    And I know someone who spent three weeks in an ICU with it. We can't make judgments based on our limited, personal experience. The way it's increasing right now, we all will become familiar with someone who becomes very sick with COVID.

12. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    an 11 year old did in Florida......most new cases are younger ...is it watching someone else kids play a game for us to drink beer, scream at the tv set... worthy ?....personal note 2 family members are dying from Covid19...if you ever seen someone in respirator tell me if is WORTH

13. SoAmericanTrojan

Jul 3, 2020
    So is they wrote one why Us....is read it somewhere else......just asking for an honest opinion....I seem Scott responding/posting in this forum, why not asking HIM his unbiased opinion....i had read that article but read as a form letter.....bullets points tilted to opening the season....just saying....Garry i believe would had reach to Scott.....reporting is not "go to someone else to inform you"...

Troken likes this.
  14. SoAmericanTrojan

Jul 3, 2020
    didnt miss work.....is she 110% she didnt pass it to others....how can she be sure, how would she feel if someone get it and is worst than she got....think is not about our desire for a season (i go "crazy" if no season) but is not really worthy but since most poster are from the "ME GEN" ...if "they" get sick is ok, if "they" get put in respirators is ok, if "they' died is ok as long I/WE can have football...."they" are the kids playing the game.....I will support if you personally promise to pay the cost of one player getting Covid and no just medical cost but the future lose income,, lose of scholarship( you think the player will get his 4 years if get sick), what if the kid decide no to play is it his right?....would the kid get kick out if decide no to risk it?.....is not just getting sick

15. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    So consider this fact too, the CDC 's list of underlying medical conditions that increase a person’s risk of severe illness from COVID-19 has in the "Strongest and most consistent evidence: Defined as consistent evidence from multiple small studies or a strong association from a large study" category; Obesity (BMI> 30).

I just took a look the stats for QB Kedon Slovis 6'2" and 200 lbs. BMI is 25.7 or RB Stephen Carr 6'0" and 215 lbs. BMI is 29.2.

Contrast that with OL Frank Martin who is typical at 6'4" and 300 pounds and plugged into a BMI calculator... BMI is 37.7.

So if Martin walked into his regular doctor office at home, he'd probably be quickly assessed, told he was a risk of severe illness from COVID-19 complications and also warned to avoid all things that might expose him to the virus.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    But we can look at the stats and make judgment based off those, supported by our personal experiences, which together show incredibly small numbers experiencing that. So the conclusion I come to is that it's like driving a car - a small percentage are going to be involved in accidents, and some may even die, but that's a risk most of us take daily. And I'm not going to be dumb about it or drive recklessly, but I'm going to live my life without fear or hysteria.

Am I wrong to have that attitude?

17. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    BMI is a worthless generalization that no doctor should give credence to on a standalone basis.

18. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Of course we only had terrorists crash airplanes into buildings that one time. No reason to throw all of air travel into an uproar.

Troken likes this.
  19. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Your attitude is your attitude but you are making the wrong argument about the wrong situation. Yeah, people get in accidents. If they're lucky, they only impact themselves. If less lucky, they impact another vehicle. If even less lucky and it involves mass transit a lot of people are impacted. However, the impaction is finite because car accidents don't propagate.

Unlike car accidents, one player can potentially propagate an infection to an entire team including staff. Yeah, the great majority of players will come out just fine if they get infected just based on statistics but who wants to be the one to tell the parents of some giant lineman that he is going to be going on a vent for a few weeks in a drug induced coma. Is that going to be a common occurrence? Hell no but all it takes is the optics of one player doing that and all of a sudden, those statistics go out the window. The decision makers are not looking at statistics, they are looking at the optics of the outliers and those optics are not nice.

aimeedee and gubo&palanka like this.
  20. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 3, 2020
    If you’re referring to my daughter not missing work, she was working remotely While quarantined. So she actually is 110% she didn’t pass it on.

Troken likes this.