Football this fall

Discussion in 'MKJ Off-Topic' started by ErikMcKinney, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Football this fall
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jul 1, 2020
    This doesn’t have anything to do with the specific announcement from USC on housing and online courses this fall, but I’m now bracing for a fall without college football. I’ve consistently said that I think they’ll find a way to play this fall, but I’ve slipped below the 50% confidence level on that.

I’ll absolutely admit to that feeling being able to fluctuate.

I’m still hopeful that July 13 comes and mandatory football activities start in anticipation of the 2020 regular season as scheduled, but I think there’s a growing chance that we see a significant modification to the season—potentially pushed back into the spring.

I can’t see a scenario where only USC or only the Pac-12 doesn’t play, so it would likely take a national decision from the NCAA to change anything as far as USC is concerned.

Like I said, obviously I’m hopeful that there is football this fall. But I know there are probably at least a few people wondering, and while I’m not reporting anything here, I do think chances are increasing that it might not happen.

2. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Jul 1, 2020
    The frustrating part is that it seems the restrictions or lack thereof vary wildly from state to state. On the one hand, I sympathize with the teams in states where they simply can't get together to practice or do anything worthy of putting together a reasonable season, and on the other hand, I sympathize with the teams in states where they've been allowed to put in the time, but might not be able to have a season.

3. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Jul 2, 2020
    And I think that's where the NCAA could step in and mandate something nationally, because letting schools or conferences handle it locally or regionally would seemingly create so many issues.

4. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Agree with you, Erik. This pandemic is getting worse and I think even in states where it is not that bad now it will get worse. Look at the Hopkins' map of COVID19 from last week to this, more states affected than not. Hard to speculate until things are actually getting better, but agree that we won't have a normal fall college football season.

5. SoAmericanTrojan

SoAmericanTrojan Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Enough....lets not worry about a season.....lets worry if we can beat this thing....I know for most posters football is more important, they make them think really important, .....i had seen postings..."wait for the summer" heat will kill it, "we are testing more than anyone in the world", "only older people getting it", "its a hoax".......where all the posters now.....FOOTBALL is not worth it
    ps. In another posting i had ask for Erik/staff for an article by Scott Rodriguez about family POV, no as a dire fan but as a father but i guess is not important or Erik knows how the parents really feel....."voluntary work out" no show might lose his ride

J4SC75 likes this.
  6. Coconut_coverage

Coconut_coverage Points Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Maybe as an outlier... I have been hearing growing rumors about sports in high school doing some sort of Fall / Spring swap, since Spring sports tend to have the ability to social distance a bit more (tennis, golf, baseball, etc). Although it is getting uncomfortably too close to fall already to make such decision, I would wonder if the NCAA has considered something like that.

7. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    But I'm not sure the NCAA has the power to "mandate" anything when whatever they might put out would be legally superseded by state or local mandates on mask-wearing, distancing, etc.

At the risk of veering OT, this whole saga since March has been a huge shitshow.

8. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Jul 2, 2020
    I think just about everything is being considered. I think if we might hear of a plan to push the season back maybe a month or two, that will come with the caveat that it could be pushed again depending on circumstances. Right now I've heard preparations ranging from anticipating an early October start date to pushing it all the way out of the fall.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  9. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Reading more conferences thinking Spring

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Jul 2, 2020
    I haven't seen anyone say it's a "hoax." although the hysteria certainly is.

And yes, pretty much only "older people" are dying from it--mostly in senior homes. You don't disagree with that, do you? You don't think there's any serious risk to healthy 18 year olds, do you? That isn't what the "science" is telling us.

Troken and CrownoftheValley like this.
  11. ErikMcKinney

Staff Member
    Jul 2, 2020
    The LA Times did a story talking to parents from both UCLA and USC: https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2020-06-28/ucla-usc-football-players-return-parents-concerns-coronavirus

12. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Jul 2, 2020

Troken likes this.
  13. Lucky

Lucky Points Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Most deaths are indeed among older people but that doesn't preclude younger folks from getting really sick or the occasional person from dying. Is football worth even one young persons preventable death?

14. IrightI

IrightI Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    it's gonna be a very long fall....

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Breaking out my dvds of old Pete era

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. Tod78

Tod78 Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    I'm afraid you're right. I'm pretty frustrated that pretty much every other country has been able to get a handle on this but we as the world's only remaining superpower can't find our ass with both hands.

aimeedee likes this.
  17. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    We all need to seriously consider, if a vaccine isn’t found, either you’ve had COVID-19 or you’re going to eventually get it especially if we live a modified/somewhat normal life. I wear my mask, I social distance the best I can. Although I do believe I already had COVID-19 in January....

Troken and gubo&palanka like this.
  18. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Football is a real contact sport unlike golf or baseball.
    So if one person has it it will affect many.
    The best thing to do is keep the season short and sweet.
    Maybe 5 to 7 games with a championship game.
    With a big nation something is bound to happen.

19. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Realistically, how far forward can you push the start of the season?

You can't have the season end in April and then start Spring training a few weeks later.
    I would think players' bodies would need at least four or five months to recuperate from one season before starting another.