Football Scoop: Harrell and Boise State

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Football Scoop: Harrell and Boise State
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Jose and gubo&palanka like this.

2. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    I'd be over the moon if he got the job. It's a good thing when your assistants get promoted. Not that this reflects on Helton, but any positive press for the program is a good thing.

It'd be a great time to bring in another offense. Slovis is not headed to Boise St. and I think a diff offense will help his NFL chances.

W/ a new offense comes a new OL coach and hopefully the return of a running game.

Of course all this relies on Bohn orchestrating this all for Helton and making all the right moves.

If I never have to talk about the Air Raid again...I'll be happy.

Jose, BESCFAN, Trojan Forever and 5 others like this.
  3. trojan raul

trojan raul Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Please, please get the job. Can't stand this Air Raid. But will it be any different if he does leave, is the question?

Remember, we still have Soft Serve.

Jose, BESCFAN, Ride Fly and 4 others like this.
  4. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    No guarantees and as the saying goes...it can always get worse. But I'll take my chances...

Ride Fly, gubo&palanka and AMLTrojan like this.
  5. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    If we move the team to AZ...perhaps.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 6, 2021
    I just find it amazing where Bohn is doing all of this for Helton. I thought the same thing, if Harrell bolts, what offensive identity will we now be, because Helton has no clue.
    I also think Bohn is caught between a rock and hard place because he just fired the Oline coach probably to appease Harrell. With Harrell still shopping himself like you said Bohn is going to put that hire on hold until he would get his next OC.
    Have you ever remembered a situation where an AD did this much to save a failing head coach?
    Fight On!

7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Folt pulling AD’s chain, lol

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    My takeaway is that Helton will remain HC for '21. Bohn has accepted that. It seems to me this arrangement is dependent on Helton accepting whatever changes Bohn dictates...Helton has little to no say.

With that in mind, Bohn will do what he can to improve things around Helton...in spite of Helton.

So if you accept that premise, go through the logical steps on how the pieces will fall...in a dynamic environment where assistants can come and go.

"What offensive identity will we have"...sorry, but I think that's the least of our worries. This AR was always a temp identity, while Harrel remained. I don't think we're in the "Iconic Offense" business these days and preserving the AR is at the bottom of my list. This isn't the Read Option post Chip Kelly.

Hire the best coordinators you can find. Figure out what assistants they need to implement their system...and go from there.

9. GoSC27!

GoSC27! Points Member

Jan 6, 2021
    The problem now becomes timing, Bohn timed Orlando and Harrell’s extension with Helton’s contract. If Harrell does go, what do you do with the new OC, give them a one year deal? And if that won’t work, do not at a last resort turn the offense over to Jinks! Again, just my opinion!
    Fight On!

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    How long before someone says we should hire retired Norm Chow if Harrell leaves? But I don't think any school will offer their HC position to an OC that cannot develop even a half way decent running game.

gubo&palanka and zitorocks like this.
  11. Coconut_coverage

Coconut_coverage Points Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Almost seems like if Harrell leaves this would be the perfect time to cut ties with Helton.

No OC worth hiring would take a job knowing Helton may be on the hot seat next year. There may not be a problem with Orlando since, in my opinion, the lack of spring & summer practice and the shortened season means Orlando has not really had a chance to hone his defense yet. A new coach may be willing to keep Orlando on the staff.

I dont recall a post-season AD Tweet like last year saying Helton has USC's support as coach next year. Who knows, maybe this is how it has been playing out the past few weeks knowing Harrell is a wildcard to leave. It would be a hell of a lot easier to bring in a decent coach that can bring their own OC, vs forcing a new coach in on two high-paid coordinators.

jjg4sc, gubo&palanka and AMLTrojan like this.
  12. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Although...seems like the gumbo produced more meat than the AirRaid...We scored more than 40 points far more often.

gubo&palanka and AMLTrojan like this.
  13. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 6, 2021
    Sure, but at what cost? This isn't 7 on 7 passing league.

Georgia Tech or Navy can sellout on the rungame and get gaudy running stats...but who cares.

And when Helton eventually goes, after 5 years of running a soft program and the offense being a soft offense, gonna be a looonnggg path to recovery to return to toughness.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021