Folt Clearly Stated No Hiring Restrictions

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Trojan-4-Life, Nov 7, 2019.

1. uscfd

uscfd Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    What about scenario B? She tried to put a restriction but backed off?
    As long as we're speculating, if it is scenario B, then her perceived mannerisms are not from deception but the fact that she personally disagrees with the no restrictions but was over-ruled.

2. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    Without a doubt, that looked to be more of the reason. She's a matter a fact type of person, so it has to be annoying. That she has to answer such a question without merit, instead of talking about the future or at least handle a question that has a basis in reality.

(The school wouldn't have a new AD right now if any of the rumors were true, plus that would mean that she lied two times about not interfering in the AD's main job)

Plus just like the inauguration speech by her. You can tell that she has general nerves like anyone else and people have certain body mannerisms that, sometimes don't fit into the box of analyzing expressions with clips and trying to use FBI techniques to paint the picture of deception, when it's not an exact science.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  3. Lawyer John

Lawyer John Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    There is another scenario that is being overlooked. What if Folt told "Bones" that he could not hire Meyer, but that there were no restrictions on his hiring anybody else. Then, when asked if there were any restrictions in place (at that moment) she could honestly say, "No."

ConquerorSC likes this.
  4. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Nov 8, 2019
    It’s very simple then:
    All she had to say was that it was a rumor with absolutely no foundation. That would allay any concerns for most people, especially those on the fence, but she didn’t do that and there is no good reason for her not to if she’s got nothing to hide (and I actually like a lot of what she’s done this far).

5. TrueTrojan

TrueTrojan Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019

did you really expect them to say "well our new school president and our new AD had an argument and don't agree on who should be coach but we think it will work out?"

oldtrojan93, Trojack and ConquerorSC like this.
  6. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    She wouldn’t have said anything like that. But she might have said something like “We have discussed the type of HC we’d like to have at USC and we are both in agreement”.

Still, everything is speculation at this point, with a lot being read into Bohn and Folt’s statements. We’ll likely know more pretty soon.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  7. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    I agree and that is precisely why I attach no significance to her answer which was, at best, perfunctory. She knew she was being set up ("do you still beat your wife"?) and there was no other way she could answer that question. Maybe her "no" really meant "no", but I suspect that if it did, she would have used that as a segue to get in a few blasts at the media who proliferated the rumor. At this stage of the game, I honestly doubt she knows how she is going to play her hand because there are so many moving parts.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  8. TrojanFireHorse12

Nov 8, 2019
    She doesn't seem like the type to do that.

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    Agreed. Nor does she seem like the type who would say publicly it's not her job to the hire the HC and "no" there were no restrictions....if either is true.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  10. TrojanFireHorse12

Nov 8, 2019
    it would make her look confused and that's not a good trait, so early in her president position.

11. ConquerorSC

Nov 8, 2019
    Exactly. Something doesn’t add up. She could quell the rumors very simply by calling them out as unfounded, yet she doesn’t. Where there is smoke, there’s fire. Folt is not being honest nor completely transparent.
    If Scott Wolf is BSing about what she’s said, I’d love to hear her call him out directly! why doesn’t she?

12. TrojanFireHorse12

Nov 8, 2019
    Because she's never done that...where are these expectations coming from? also, that would bring traffic to SW, and that dick doesn't need it. And even if she did, that still wouldn't quell anything. Especially if no is not, seen as a no.

Which makes no sense

13. ConquerorSC

Nov 8, 2019
    She doesn’t even have to mention SW at all. Just call them unfounded rumors if that’s what they really are Why wouldn’t she do that? It’s very simple and logical and would dispel doubts.

14. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    Except she is confused and everyone knows it. A good friend of mine who is a USC graduate who served with her on several faculty committees at UNC and knows her quite well said that this is her typical M.O. She initially comes across as very focused and sure of herself until there is a glitch and then she reverts to equivocation and placation. She had the perfect opportunity to address the rumors head on but chose not to.

I have to think this decision is killing her. Obviously hiring UM, assuming he wants the job, is the absolute right move to make but once she does so, she is going to have to turn around and deal with a significant portion of the faculty who would perceive this hire as more of the same bullshit. I don't happen to agree with that but at some point, perception becomes reality, and that is what brings university presidents down.

15. TrojanFireHorse12

Nov 8, 2019
    That's not very logical at all. If people responded and tried to debunk every rumor, just like any conspiracy it stops existing in reality. And starts becoming confirmation bias.

Confused at what? and who is this everyone? also, everyone isn't one person you know.

Do you have proof? everyone here seems to all of a sudden have UNC contacts, where was all this information back when she was hired?

I don't understand how anyone can get equivocation nor placation from, a pretty simple no. Also, AD's or folks in high positions don't dibble in rumors, it's a slippery slope as this thread can attest to, folks will make up their own minds and just go with their own headcanon.

16. ConquerorSC

Nov 8, 2019
    Huh? Respectfully, that makes no sense.

17. LaissezFaire28thStUSC

LaissezFaire28thStUSC Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    That would be a deceptive answer by Folt if those facts were true.

18. TrojanFireHorse12

Nov 8, 2019
    It makes total sense, just because you address something. Doesn't mean it will go away, case in point.

Right now, after she clearly said no.

Yet here folks still are...and if Urban isn't hired, what do you think will happen? no one's going to believe that he doesn't want the job. Because of the previous rumor, even if he says so himself.

That's what I'm speaking of. No matter if its the plain truth, folks will believe the rumor to have merit. At that point, a bias will form towards that side of the situation.

19. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    If I didn't know any better, I would say you are using your own confirmation bias regarding Folt's "no" to support your theory that she has given her blessing to Bohn to hire Urban. She may, in fact, have given that blessing but I'm certainly not forming that opinion based on how she answered a question that was obviously put forward to entrap her.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  20. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Nov 8, 2019
    There's a fine line between deceptive and nuanced, but there is a line nonetheless. Only Folt knows which side of that line she was on.