Flowe to the Ducks.

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by uscjrl98, Dec 18, 2019.

1. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 18, 2019
    I don’t know, we got some holier than thou fans here (not you) that think Helton is the next Dabo.

I’m convinced they like when SC struggles because they can brag about their fan hood. They could care less about the on-field product because if the team was good then all the attention from them goes away.

2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Lol you guys thought he was coming here?

3. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Culture shift is so evident. It’s all about academic prestige and massive donations from India, China, and the Middle East.

Football is ‘low-brow’, and is being tolerated at best.

Helton is who the BOT wants in that position, and Folt/Bohn were put in place to ensure that Mr. Nice Guy stays put.

BigGuard likes this.
  4. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Why would the BoT want the football program to lose revenue?

5. norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Dec 18, 2019

Pretty simple then, fans need to stop attending games and donating. The school could care less about the fans, why should the fans care in return. If this were any other business, a sunshine pumper would be asking for a refund.

6. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Fuck.

7. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Dec 18, 2019
    upload_2019-12-18_11-52-44.gif
    conquest81 is busy at the moment....

8. Class of 81

Class of 81 Active Member

Dec 18, 2019
    The Ducks are going to be formidable. Very sad that the USC President and AD are drinking the Helton "Integrity Kool-Aid"

9. AlbertoC

AlbertoC Junior Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Basically a major justification that Bohn used for keeping Clay was due to the 4 silent commitments already in hand that were going to totally turn USC recruiting around. I don't know anyone who believed that except Bohn. If he really believed that, the man is a complete idiot. If he didn't really believe it and just said it to justify his decision to keep Clay on-board, then he is a pawn of Folt and is saying whatever he needs to keep the 4X salary increase he got to come to USC.

OC2SC, PickSicx, Troy70 and 3 others like this.
  10. One More For The Road

One More For The Road Points Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Hey Clancy, wake the fuck up and notice what quality recruits think of your defense. Do you see what happens when every fucking 3rd and long is converted for a first down? Nobody wants to play in your shit system.

11. BigGuard

BigGuard Junior Member

Dec 18, 2019
    This is a complete cluster.

Local high school coaches and top talent are sending a clear message. They too are tired of Helton's "aw, shucks" schtick and see him for poor excuse making phony he is. If you've heard Helton speak for any amount of time at some point (for your own sanity) you have to shut him off because his spiel is nauseating and infuriating.

I bet Helton is having a rough day, but that fool will spit out his platitudes while the sports world yawns.

"All morons hate it when you call them morons" - Salinger.

OC2SC likes this.
  12. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Dec 18, 2019
    I think this says a lot, that an elite recruit (sure, whatever, perhaps not this staff's cup of tea, but this seems like a shockingly commonplace story) didn't feel like USC brought the same recruiting game. Note that he referenced Reggie Bush.

Do the math: these are 18 year old guys, who wear #5. The Pete Carroll heyday ended in roughly 2011, or 8 years ago, when these guys were 10. I believe "USC sells itself, you don't need to recruit" is an outgrowth of kids, in their formative years, seeing USC dominate. For how many more high school classes will Reggie Bush be the dominant touchstone memory? Two more, maybe? And it clearly hasn't exactly played out well in the last two years.

I don't know about you, but I very dimly remember anything before I was about 8 years old, and I suspect that's the case for these young men too: Reggie & Co are a fading memory to sell to players increasingly too young to even remember them, let alone for Rose and Orange Bowls of the mid-00s to be a significant formative experience.

13. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 18, 2019
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but it makes no sense to me that they could care less about the lost revenue in keeping Helton.

I also think retaining Helton was, in large part, due to his buyout amount. A stupid reason for sure, but I think it was a factor as far as Folt was concerned.

14. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 18, 2019
    BOT didn’t want to eat buyout. They are too busy in Pat’s Tower drinking wine. Clay stays until contract ends, maybe longer

15. The Garage Mahal

The Garage Mahal Junior Member

Dec 18, 2019
    To the extent you actually know what you've written is true: is this a stock or flow problem?

In other words, is this a matter of the huge Tyndall settlement eating into the endowment (and thus the BOT has no appetite for another seven figure check)?

Or is this weak athletic department revenues (WELL FUCKING DONE, PAC-12 NETWORK!) that can't support such a large expense?

16. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Even when Hackett was here he could get good players and was usually in the top ten in recruiting. He just could not coach. Helton can neither effectively coach nor develop these players so they are opting to go somewhere else. Why would they want walk into this shit show? With our magnificent recruiting maybe we should put the NAIA teams and the Bryman school on our schedule. When he is done that is about the level of competition we will be on par with.

DJ4SC likes this.
  17. Esthersar

Esthersar Points Member

Dec 18, 2019
    They're about to eat a lot more in lost revenue because they've retained Helton, imo.

Helton's job security will go down with the buyout amount.

18. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 18, 2019
    Yes. But SC football may be set back 4-5 years. We will never recover that money. They should have just fired Helton when they had the chance.