Farewell letter to Coach Helton

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by heyrev, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Farewell letter to Coach Helton
    heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    I have this letter ready to go when Clay is fired, probably on November 24. I haven't been a contributor to this board for some time now--frankly, it was ruining my enjoyment of CFB and I had to back away. To better days ahead. FWIW...

Dear Coach Helton,

I just read the news that you’ve been terminated as Head Coach. Personally, I am terribly sorry it had to end that way but as you well know, it’s the nature of your profession. I’m not writing to argue the merits of that decision—right or wrong, given the negative perception of your program, it had become impossible for you to lead with the necessary credibility and authority to be successful. A change was the only viable solution, though sadly, it claimed many innocent victims. In so many ways, you were one of those, however, as the Head Coach, you bore the weight of responsibility.

As a dedicated Trojan fan for over half a century, I write to sincerely thank you for your four years of service. You have been a model of:

1. Loyalty. In 2013 when your fellow coach quit in a childish rage, you selflessly stepped into the gap for the sake of the team. In 2015 you again stepped up to fill the void of poor leadership. When offered the job full-time, you took it on with great optimism despite knowing the program was in shambles and that the dysfunction caused through no fault of your own would need years of recovery. Never once—though you could have—did you blame or complain.

2. Grace under fire. USC “fans” are insufferable most times. They are entitled, spoiled, have zero patience, and mostly ignorant of not only football, but what’s involved in the art of coaching. They define “winning” solely by a record, but they can’t even agree on what’s acceptable there. They’re merely critics and safely removed from the front lines where all their complaints and ideas avoid testing. Having coached my entire adult life, I know how difficult it is to ignore them, but you did so with class and dignity. As you went about the actual work, your focus was always on the right things.

3. Exemplary Conduct. Never once did I sense you using those kids as a tool to further your own ego or career. That disease is rampant in college sports but you stayed healthy and set a constant tone of humility and selflessness toward serving your players. You maintained a long-term attitude for their sake seeing them more as young men than merely football players. You won’t leave behind National Championships but you leave those student/athletes a model of something much more important. In due time they will know that.

Thanks, Coach Helton, for all your dedicated hard work. You stood in the gap when no one else dared.

I wish you the best moving forward,

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Thank you Heyrev, I appreciate it.

slystone72 likes this.
  3. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Good thing you are not our AD. You would be keeping him and allowing him to further scar these kid's with more losses. Losing really does take a toll on these kid's and yes we can thank helton for that as he is shown the door.

4. mrsocal

mrsocal Points Member

Nov 4, 2019
    And.....don't let the door hit your fat aZZ on the way out!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  5. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    You had me at farewell.

Welcome back, rev.

6. DaFireMedic

Nov 4, 2019
    I’m going to disagree with you here. Is it really that bad that some agree that he did a poor job as HC but don’t “hate” Helton on a personal level?

If I were AD, I wouldn’t have hired Helton in the first place, but as he was here I would have fired him after last season. As it is, I expect that he will be fired shortly after the new AD gets here, and I think it needs to happen that way.

But it doesn’t make sense to hate the guy on a personal level just because he was a poor coach. If he doesn’t have the ability, he doesn’t have the ability. It would be one thing if he were intentionally trying to harm or screw with the players somehow, but he wasn’t. He was just trying to do his job.

He just wasn’t a good coach, and as such, it is USC’s admin that you should be upset with for keeping him in the position. And I am.

Regardless, he should be terminated, but there is no reason why it cannot be done in a respectful way and without personal attacks.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  7. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    DaFire. I have talked with too many people close to the program including just a few minutes ago. Helton purposely hired family friends and incompetents in order to keep his job at the expense our kids development. Helton did not want a good assistant challenging him or possibly taking his job. Helton shortchanged our kids because of his insecurities. I have a lot of respect for you Dafire but the things I am telling you I know to be true so I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Gawd I wish you and some of other good posters on the board could talk to these parents or the kid's. You would view things in a different light. I know these people and they had hopes and dreams and helton for his own selfish reasons took that from them.

8. Rainman44

Rainman44 Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    There is no reason to feel sorry or apologetic or anything like that for CCH. He's had a nice ride as head coach of USC. Not too many people can say that. He made a nice income during the time. He's represented himself well. I'm not sure what future will hold for him, but this experience should pay off for him down the road.

Trojan Man 30 and DaFireMedic like this.
  9. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    I will say college football needs more of the integrity CCH has brought, but finding a combination of Helton on the personal side and, say, Barry Switzer on the football side is tough combination. The other big issue, that has already been identified by others is that Helton is a good judge of talent, but terrible at hiring good assistants. LSU is great this year not only because of Coach O. LSU has some of the best assistant coaches in the country. Those are the ones who develop the talent. CPC could hire anybody he wanted, but no one of merit wants to work for Helton.

10. DaFireMedic

Nov 4, 2019
    Thank you uscjrl98. It’s true that don’t have access to the opinions of those close to the program and I can only go by what I see.

Regardless, I’ve always believed in taking the high road, and I believe that’s what USC needs to do with Helton. Fire him quickly and respectfully.

GoSC1, Ladera Trojan and uscjrl98 like this.
  11. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Your reply only confirms 1. your abject ignorance of coaching (gee, parents that don't like the coach...that's a new one), 2. your wild speculative opinions ("in order to keep his job", "his insecurities", "his own selfish reasons"), and a childish anger that tries to justify itself by making scurrilous personal attacks. Why don't you just be honest and say he didn't win enough games to satisfy you instead of trying to create a monster that doesn't exist? Look son, coaches don't ever, nor can they ever please all their critics. They do the best job they know how and ignore people like you. It's despicable the way our public dialogue villainizes anyone who doesn't give us what we want. There's no need for that, ever. Clay Helton is not a villain--he's a man who failed to achieve his goals. Anyone else here experienced that? Yeah, that's what I thought...

Rodgarnay51, Cyrus and Trojan Man 30 like this.
  12. Rob384

Rob384 Points Member

Nov 4, 2019

Well written and very mature. There is not one thing you state that is incorrect. But, it also kind of gives off the impression that this man did it all right. And in that sense, I think you are leaving out some things. The job of any coach at the Collegiate level is to get those athletes ready for the next level. Especially at this level (NCAA D-1 College Football), these student athletes are here (85 of them on Scholarship) to get to the league. Will all of them get there? NO. But its the job of the coach and his staff to put them in the best possible situation to get there.

Clay and his coaches have not done that. How do we know? Look at how many of Clay's guys are in the league and having success. Not many are. At least not in comparison to previous regimes. There was a time when you could watch a PC coached team and say, "All of those players are going to and will play in the League." Do we see the same things today? All of these 4 and 5 star guys that come in, but then they never get drafted or for some, they never even develop enough to get drafted.

Over the last 5 years, the only teams with better recruiting classes are Alabama, Ohio State, LSU and Georgia. Look at the records of those 4 teams and the number of players sent to the League and then compare it to the Helton regime over the last 4 years. That's really all that needs to be said.

Clay is a nice guy, a man of high character. Heck, he'd be a heck of a High School Coach to be honest. Probably best suited to be a High School Head Coach so can instill his ideals and values into those kids that severely need it.

13. August West

August West Points Member

Nov 4, 2019
    upload_2019-11-4_13-27-58.jpeg

14. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    August West,

Not to go off topic but I love your pic. Caption should read "Oh Sh*t, prosperity is on it's way..."

uscjrl98 and August West like this.
  15. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    He failed himself by being incompetent

1988Trojan, mrsocal and uscjrl98 like this.
  16. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    How do we know he’s a decent and honorable man? For all we know he could have been the one that dimed out Sark to Haden.

he plays the aw shucks game pretty good, but his obstinance offsets any of his perceived good intentions.

He’s a multi million dollar compensated employee that was gifted a prestigious job well over his resume level, and he completely squandered the opportunity by applying the Peter Principle instead of developing a growth mindset which was essential for him to succeed.

Also nice dig at Coach O. Yeah like he was supposed to stick around after Haden completely lied to him. Not many of us would have. None of us with dignity and resources to make that call, anyway

17. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Nov 4, 2019
    I read this OP a second time. What a bunch of moralistic, self important, passive aggressive non-sense. This is not a letter to Helton, this is a letter to us.

In your absence, I didn’t realize you were gone, but when you came back and I read this, it totally brought back my memories of just how self righteous you are.

Total drivel.

PickSicx, mrsocal, uscjrl98 and 2 others like this.
  18. August West

August West Points Member

Nov 4, 2019
    I shouldn’t go down that road on this board, but the OPs letter reminded me of that pic. Funny stuff.