Expectations and Reality

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by PickSicx, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Expectations and Reality
    PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Perhaps this is borrowing a page from Greg's O/NSO meme, but there appears to be a serious need for some people to bring their expectations into alignment with reality.

Expectation: USC will win every game.
    Reality: Its rare for a college football team to go undefeated. At the most, only one or two teams do it a year. It is entirely possible to lose a game and still win a National Championship.

Expectation: USC will blow-out every poorly ranked opponent by 4 touchdowns. After all, those guys in Vegas set the point spread that high for a reason.
    Reality: Point spreads don't mean jack. Blowouts are for supermodels and drag racers.

Expectation: USC should never struggle to win a game.
    Reality: Even in the height of the John McKay, John Robinson and Pete Carroll eras, USC teams had to fight tooth and nail to win ball-games. Nothing comes easy. On any given Saturday, anyone can upset anyone, which all those coaches experienced.

Expectation: There is some mythical mystical coach out there that will bring with him the magic dust that cause USC to contend for a national championship every year. His name is Urban Chip Saban. He's 7 feet tall, throws a beautiful spiral, has never missed out on a recruit, and has 7 fingers on each hand (to fit the 12 championship rings he'll win).
    Reality: Yes, there are great coaches, and they are proven over the long-haul. They have a brand and they mold their team into their image year after year. But even Bear Bryant only won 4 National Championships outright (a split title 2 other times). Joe Paterno only won 2 outright. Bud Wilkenson, 2. Bobby Bowdon, 2. Tom Osborn, 2. Saban is the exception with 5. He is a freak of nature. If a coach contends for a Natty every 3 or 4 years, and wins 50% of their chances, we later call them one of the greatest ever. But year to year, the expectation of contending annually is completely unrealistic.

Expectation: Coaching, part 2: Every year, there is a flavor of the month coach who everyone just KNOWS would come in an turn their program around.
    Realty: And every year, there are a handful of former coaches who once held this title, who are fired by their current team. Nobody ever lives up the hype of being super-coach. Such expectations only make it harder for them to do their job.

Expectation: That our FG kicker will kick .850 or better, simply because we think they should.
    Reality: If your kicker makes 70 to 75% of their kicks, they are pretty good.

Expectation: Some kid who is given 5 stars next to his name by some recruiting service will automatically come in and adjust to the college game, continue to grow along the trajectory he had been on, and start for us his freshman year.
    Reality: The football world is littered with former 4 and 5-star recruits who never lived up to their billing. Its not fair to the player to blame them for your heightened level of expectation—they never asked to this.

Expectation: Freshmen should be able to come in right away and contribute to the level of they guy they are replacing.
    Reality: An 18-year old kid doesn't know anything about handling the pressure of playing in a stadium with 75,000 screaming fans. 19-year olds are still years away from physical maturity.

Expectation: Here come the trolls, to shout down this thread, saying that it is UNACCEPTABLE for USC football to expect anything other than a National Championship year after year.
    Reality: See below. Here come the comments.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Yep, that's pretty much the way it is....

3. Helen of Troy

Helen of Troy Junior Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Great Post!

uscvball likes this.
  4. denali15

denali15 Points Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I'm guessing there's an inverse relationship between the age of the poster and his/her expectations. We older folks have 'seen it all' and know better. Heck--it's even possible for one of the best USC teams of all time to lose to a 41 point underdog. All it takes is a hidden broken finger...

By the way, one of The Bear's NCs always annoys me: the time we beat Bama at Bama...and the NC was split anyway.

uscvball and PickSicx like this.
  5. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 6, 2017
    The object of USC football is to win the division and get to the CCG.

The rest is just icing on the cake.

DaFireMedic and Boselli like this.
  6. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Sep 6, 2017
    FlyFishinTrojan hijacked Pick Sicx' account. Shoot the Easter Bunny. Lock up Santa. BBQ Bambi's momma...It's now politically incorrect to have unrealistic expectations. No sense in breathing...Everyone knows that ant can't move a rubber tree plant...Nope, sorry ant but there's no hope. Seriously, who cares if it's unrealistic...It's good to dream big...Isn't it? At least I thought so...Hmph, guess we're all ordinary folks after all.

Kerplunk!

jpq21 likes this.
  7. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Sep 6, 2017
    This is one of my fave post. Well done, Sir!

8. Shooter

Shooter Junior Member

Sep 6, 2017
    No one with a brain will shout down your post, because the points are obvious and cannot reasonably be denied.

I'm not sure what the percentage here of "some people" is, but it's a relatively small minority, I think. Mostly guys who never played a sport themselves, and who don't seem to understand that the other guys also work hard and are pretty good, every team has good performances and not so good performances, that our players and coaches are actually human and therefore not perfect, etc. I also agree with Denali that a lot of these perfection expectorants (?) are young and grew up seeing the almost perfection of the CPC era. Not our current reality, unfortunately, but something to aspire to.

Only thing I'd disagree with PS, is "...the expectation of contending annually is completely unrealistic..." Negatory. Incorrect. Just a few years ago we were feared throughout the land! And now it's completely unrealistic to expect to contend every year? When guys like Alabama and Ohio State realistically expect to, and then do? Why would that not be realistic for USC?

Petey Rob likes this.
  9. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I've always felt that playing in the Rose Bowl winning that game was a successful season, without any qualifications. Remember the good old days with Pete Carroll and people were getting tired of always going to the Rose Bowl? Oh for the boredom of having to go back there again.

If we get to go to the playoffs, that's icing on the cake. However, this year the Rose Bowl IS the first round of the playoffs, so if we get to the Rose Bowl again, that will be a double frosted uber-cake. With sprinkles.

Shooter, you are right -- the majority of the people who are on this board have realistic expectations. But it's the obnoxious 25% who seem to think we should be winning every game, signing every recruit, and never having an off game, who make the most noise. I agree: the harshest critics have never played the game and have no idea what it takes to build a winning program.

10. jpq21

jpq21 Junior Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I think this all boils down to SC being spoiled by the Pete Carroll years. He was that perfect "super coach" for 7 straight years.

11. TrojanWarMachine

TrojanWarMachine Junior Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I have very high expectations. I expect our coaches will come up with effective game plans. I expect USC players will play hard and clean with few mistakes. I expect the Trojan Marching Band will get a chance to play "Conquest" (and Traveler will run [@ home]) enough times to totally annoy our opponent's fans and dishearten the opposing team.

I don't expect to win every game. I do expect USC to be a superbly conditioned and coached, with an excellent chance to win, every game. I expect USC to be extremely competitive, with a team that gives their all, and leaves nothing on the practice field or in the locker room. And, because sh!t happens, I know perfection is unobtainable, and can only be hoped for.

Sam Bam and TheRealAirbns like this.
  12. contracostatrojan

contracostatrojan Junior Member

Sep 7, 2017
    The post is spot on PickSicx. I just love all the fire Clancy, this team is not at the level we expect yada, yada, yada, after only ONE game. It has been my experience, the knee jerkers are the ones who know the least about football. That applies to the quick to praise sunshine pumpers also.

13. Georgetirebiter IV

Georgetirebiter IV Points Member

Sep 7, 2017
    When Sandy Koufax pitched a game, he always set out to pitch a perfect game. Then a no hitter, give up a hit, try and pitch a shut-out. Give up a run, try and get the win.

Our offense should intend to score every possession, and our D shut-out the opposition. Most games we will have more talent than our opponents, and as McKay uses to say "if we play our best and they play their best we should win."

Those are our expectations!!
    We also know we won't meet these lofty expectations. It is how we look in our efforts at meeting these lofty expectations. But we are blessed with the type of program where we expect to compete for division, conference, and national championships every year.

Of those who much was given, much is expected. A loss increases our effort, because they are not accepted.

TrojanWarMachine likes this.
  14. listen2menow&hearmelater

listen2menow&hearmelater Junior Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Great post and points.

But I still expect my friends to help me get seats in the family section in Atlanta.

CrownoftheValley likes this.
  15. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Good post. However I think you miss an important point in that those losses and failures that bring out the complainers do have reasons behind them. They don't just happen as random misfortune. Your example of the Stanford upset: that wasn't a lightening strike--it was piss poor communication between a coach and his QB about an obvious injury affecting performance. Cause/affect, not dumb luck. That was fixable and opens the door to negative criticism. Second guesses are usually based partially in fact.

16. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Sep 7, 2017
    Couldn't agree more...

17. tommytrojan1122

tommytrojan1122 Junior Member

Sep 7, 2017
    My favorite post-game posts are the ones which question why some players play while others do not or the people who criticize Helton for starting a senior over a freshman. I mean, we as fans, know more about players' abilities, how they handle the film room, understand the concepts far better then the coaches.

Not criticizing a poster but someone started a thread asking why Ced Ware didn't get more touches. And take carries away from who? Jones?? Carr??

18. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Sep 7, 2017
    You're knocking down straw men. No reasonable person believes the "expectations" you articulate. How about these:

Expectation: USC should be able to hold a MAC team under 260 yards rushing, especially when that team has no passing threat whatsoever.

Expectation: USC will adjust when said MAC team is controlling the ball with the running game and will not stick doggedly with a game plan that isn't working very well. This might involve, for example, bringing in a third down lineman.

It's true that there are unreasonable people who criticize the coaches and players regardless of what happens. People didn't think Pete did enough, and he was one of the best coaches of the last 25 years.

But just because people criticize what they see doesn't mean they're unreasonable. Do you think Clancy thought this defense met expectations? Yeah, me either. And it's not because Clancy thinks he should be replaced by a 7' tall Chip Urban Saban. It's possibly that even Deontay "Greatest Trojan That Ever Lived" Burnett though the defense underperformed.

Don't go to the other extreme and pretend that anybody who questions what they see is irrational, unreasonable, and foolish.

nvargas likes this.
  19. Gold Trojan

Gold Trojan Points Member

Sep 7, 2017
    [​IMG]

20. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Yes I do. It would be nice to be "bored" again.