Everything I know about relevant recruits

Discussion in 'Trojan Recruiting' started by USCFan1991, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Everything I know about relevant recruits
    USCFan1991

USCFan1991 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    QB - Sears is faster than Darnold and has a nice deep ball but the coaches won't know more until they see him in practice. Mills (going to Stanford) could start for Stanford as a true freshman as their starter tore his ACL and the backup is transferring. I'm curious to see who ends up as our #2 QB, Sears or Fink. Fink has developed a lot this year.

RB - It came down to a choice - a coin toss for Najee Harris or keep Carr? We kept Carr, who is the #2 running back in the country in my opinion. He is expected to contribute from day 1. We're only taking 1 RB

WR - Joseph Lewis is a lock, Amari Rodgers has some smoke around him (Clemson might drop him) but at 5'9", 225 he's a strange prospect. Marlon Williams was an unfortunate loss, he would have been a nice addition, but he wanted to stay south. I predict we end up with Lewis, Grimes, and some guys who could go either way as a DB or WR (Greg Johnson is one). Lewis's teammate Jalen Hall is going to be Julio Jones-level good and we are in a great place with him.

Tight End - Krommenhoek is very smart and a great blocker, but he could outgrow TE and end up as a tackle. Josh Falo is the big target but we have a freshman named Cary Angeline who might scare him off. Angeline will be our #1 tight end next year if he keeps developing. He's been called "next year's Darnold"

OL - 5* Austin Jackson is a lock, but he's going to need a year to add weight. Vera-Tucker is legit, and has the size to contribute at guard immediately. Vorhees is on campus already rooming with our QB commit. Wyatt Davis is thinking of flipping to USC but he was terrible at the Army camp so the staff might go for a high upside kid named Jalen McKenzie, who is the son of the Raider's GM and brother of former 5* DT who is at Tennessee now. Raw but extremely good size and pedigree. Brett Neilon is legit as well as our next great center

DL - Aubrey Solomon or Jay Tufele or bust right now. We really need one of those guys to come to USC and get on the field on day 1. Brandon Pili is possible nose tackle commit. Myron Tagovailoa is a high-upside kid from Hawaii that USC would like to land. JUCO Javon Kinlaw looks less likely by the day but he is visiting soon. I'd like to land him instead of getting a senior transfer, which is EXTREMELY likely right now. Terrance Lang and Lichtenstein are 100% to USC, and both will be nice additions. All the question marks are here right now, we just need to finalize things. My prediction is a class of 5 DL including Tufele/Tagovailoa/Lichtenstein/Lang/Grad Transfer. In an ideal world we'd land Solomon and Tufele, who would both be on the 2 deep next year I think

LB - Levi Jones is the big target right now, but we won't know much until he's on campus. Staff is considering JUCO Gary Johnson but same situation. He'd be a day 1 starter next to Cam Smith I think. Not sure what will happen with Falaniko. K'Lavon Chaisson is a wild card right now, but he's a good player if we can make it happen. Hunter Echols is 100% solid, and has put on a lot of good weight this year. DJ Johnson is out of the picture, we're not recruiting him

DB - I predict Juwan Burgess decommits, he didn't get a visit from the staff. Greg Johnson will likely end up at USC as a corner but could play as a do-everything player on offense. Bubba Bolden had a nice trolljob with the fake to ASU but we're lucky to have him because we need an impact player at safety. He's 6'2" and very fast. Isaiah Pola-Mao to USC is looking likely, and a Pola-Mao/Bolden backfield would be very strong and rangy. USC staff loves current commit CJ Miller. Jaylon Johnson is trying to flip to USC now but the staff is evaluating his health because they can't miss on a top corner this year. Lenoir silented to USC and Oregon both recently, it will go down to signing day. He's #1 on our board at DB with Darnay out. Tony Wallace is a blueshirt candidate. Darnay Holmes was forced to pick UCLA by his dad for questionable reasons so I am fine with those 2 heading to westwood. The staff loved Holmes though as a player, #1 on their board

ST - Damon Johnson was a late offer but we had to have him as we lose a great longsnapper to graduation

Last word was Adoree' is staying to get more tape on offense (where he was told he will play in the NFL) and that Tucker will likely be eligible for the 2017 season. Kevin Scott might be off the team soon for grades and attitude problems.

2. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Great stuff, thanks for all of the insight.

3. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Costello is the heir-apparent at Stanford till Chryst gets back from rehab.

Amari is 225 lbs? That's pretty damn thick for a scatback...that's thick for a RB.

4. USCFan1991

USCFan1991 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    forgot to add

we are not going after Tyjon Lindsey, he's only 5'8" or so and we need 6' or taller to keep dominating the pac 12 with our offense

there is an LSU commit visiting, a DT, I have no word on him

cal might hire Tosh Lupoi as their new DC. between Lupoi and the Oregon Staff, recruiting is going to get a lot tougher next year. A big year is a minimum to keep our recruiting on track

the only question mark for the staff is DL. They really like the LBs and DBs, and offense should stay hot, even with new tackles. Lots of OL with experience and Chris Brown was better than Mama at times. Look for a front of Falah/Talamaivao/Lobendahn/Brown/Edoga and a second string with a lot of young guys (Hemsley, Austin, Vera-Tucker, and Jackson if we had weight up enough).

5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Any of DL recruits project as NT?

6. USCFan1991

USCFan1991 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    sorry to everyone that i was wrong on Darnay. usc staff was very confident, him picking ucla was a last minute decision. Austin Jackson will commit any day now.

[FONT=&quot]S K.J. Jarrell [/FONT] is a name that I've seen pop up, a safety option for us if we decide to take three.

RB [FONT=&quot]Cyrus Habibi-Likio is another name, but recruiting him as a fullback. I don't think he even visits USC in the end

Forgot to add Tayler Katoa to the LB post above. Katoa is a very good 4* level player, but like Ajene Harris had to play EVERY position including QB in high school so he is underrated as his correct position, which is ILB. The staff has created deep ties in Utah and people think Katoa is a top 3 player in Utah this year. Tufele and Katoa know each other
    [/FONT]

7. USCFan1991

USCFan1991 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Brandon Pili and the Grad Transfers we're talking to. Tufele and Solomon could play there as well. We're often in a 4-2-5 formation (example: Gustin, Green, NT/DT, Nwosu) against spread teams so people who can move around are ideal. Jefferson would have been the star in this defense but he is gone, and we need a player who can dominate one-on-one and handle double teams. Bigelow is adding weight to play nose tackle next year and he will be backed up by Jacob Daniel unless a star emerges

8. dacoontz

dacoontz Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Thank you for the comprehensive review, great stuff. Seems like the process is very calculated and not as chaotic as people make it out to be. Looks like we will get mostly what we want.

9. Yup All Right

Yup All Right Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Great insight, thanks for all the info 1991.

Do you have friends in HH or something?

10. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Thank you for the massive update!

Also FK and a few other's are very confident about Jay Tufele. Which is a really good sign if you want to take anything from that.

Also that Lenoir silent to both USC and Oregon is sketchy as hell...lol. Of course it makes sense given his GF is heading to Oregon from the looks of it.

Anything on Tre Brown? since the Staff were in really early contact with him, he was at the RSC as well and he's visiting. I'm guessing he's a back up plan if it's a possibility.

11. SC4Life

SC4Life Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Great info.

12. holt7153

holt7153 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Wow fingers crossed.

13. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I beleive Austin Jackson weighed in at 291 last week....weight isn't the issue.

Maybe strength or techniques, though.....

Weird that Davis is getting the 'fat and lazy' tag....he dominated in the two Mater Dei games I saw this year.

14. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Good analysis...thank you USCfan1991...

15. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Thank you, sir.

Sounds about right on all accounts.

It's closing time . . . and it's looking good.

16. SCPaladin

SCPaladin Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Now that is a recruiting post for the ages. Nicely done. Choke full in info, scoops and key points. Thank you so much Coach Helt....I mean USCfan1991.

17. ectrojan

ectrojan Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Thanks for the great info 1991.

18. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    With the transfer of Jefferson, and the lack of trust in Scott, interior DL depth is a serious problem. Those are 2 guys that one would've expected/hoped to contribute in 2017.

Somehow, someway, the staff needs to strike gold in the defensive trenches on NSD. Need a guy or two that are ready to compete immediately.

19. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I mean it's not total doom and gloom for the interior DL group. We have some depth there, it's not like it's bare bones. But we need some big uglies to build future depth.

20. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    That's a lot of Johnsons.

21. motovich

motovich Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Wow, this is impressive information. Thank you for sharing your inside info, 1991.

22. ClovisTroy

ClovisTroy Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Dang, '91, that was awesome... thank you!

23. bestlakersfan

bestlakersfan Junior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Nicely done. Essentially status quo. Tomorrow is when the fun STARTS.

24. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    RB - It came down to a choice - a coin toss for Najee Harris or keep Carr? We kept Carr,

Are you saying we could of had harris but choose carr?

25. TailbackU

TailbackU Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Great post thanks for all that info.

26. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017

OP, do you mean Holmes was the number 1 player on our coaches board, period? Or the number player among DB prospects? I'm guessing the latter, but not sure...

27. HelixTrojan

HelixTrojan Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I wouldn't leave out Josh Fatu (#98) in this equation.

He was pretty active backing up StevieT this past season - finishing with 21 tackles, and a sack.

In fact, I would put Fatu ahead of everyone at that NT/DT spot, as Bigelow eases back into action from the injury.

And this Spring is big for Daniel, as he strives to become an active part of the DL rotation.

Any true frosh recruit would be a bonus surprise contributor, as this position is difficult to come in and play really well.

28. SCFaninUtah

SCFaninUtah Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Told you what was up with Gustin and Osa. Will know shortly what the word on Tufele is.

29. TaeRiddle

TaeRiddle Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Don't think we have a chance at all with Levi, his mama is all Florida State and I'm hearing Ohio State is making a major push as they have created a nice pipeline to Texas, they got 3 of the best 10 prospects coming out of Texas this year alone.

30. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    How much of this stuff is insider information?

I was told USC did not flip a coin for Harris? Harris never scheduled an OV and he basically eliminated us. He was sticking with Bama but Michigan made a run at him to no avail. There is no doubt in my mind if Harris wanted an official to USC he would have had one. He was also an EE and after the Army game there was not much time.
    Carr is taking an official to Oregon. You don't think USC wouldn't cover their backs incase he flips.

Also Marlon Williams said in an Auburn interview he wanted to go where we was wanted.. This was reported on Reign Of Troy. You say he wanted to play in the South? Sounds like we cooled on him..

Lindsey said in an interview he did not want to play in the West Coast which is why he picked OSU.. and why Nebraska looks like the leader now. USC did not drop him because he was small. People on this site have said he has an attitude. I don't know him. He could have been eliminated because of that but we went after him prior to his OSU commit. We recruited Sydney, Jones Burnett Mitchell in the past that were not big Wr's. It sounds like he eliminated us when he said he wants to leave the west coast to play.

Holmes to USC? was a miss but plenty of people got duped on that one.

Gerrard Martinez reported a commit coming it's presumed to be the player you mentioned as likely to sign any day.

Could this be a nice summary taken from behind the walls of pay sites?

31. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Don't let P6 know about Kevin Scott, he might slit his wrists

32. FightOnSC247

FightOnSC247 Junior Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Just came across this:

''He plays a great part in it,'' Echols said of Helton’s part in each individual recruiting process. ''He’s not going to leave it up to a position coach. If he wants you, he’s going to go get you.''

Let's get'em Coach Helton!!!

33. bestlakersfan

Jan 13, 2017
    Most of it, yes. But, OP did add some of his own "takes" on players.

I'll fill you guys in, like I always do, as the time gets closer. But we are looking very strong.

34. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Jan 13, 2017

Thanks for this post, blf. Means a good deal coming from you for two reasons: 1. You follow recruiting more closely than most; and 2. You were among the relative few of us a couple weeks back expressing serious concerns about our 2017 class to date.

Keep your updates coming!

35. bestlakersfan

Jan 13, 2017
    My pleasure buddy and thank you for the comments.

I never thought that the class was going to be horrible. In fact, there was a post a while ago about where the class would finish in the top 5. However, I have been disappointed in the process, especially at certain positions. We seem to have lost the national kids quite a bit. And I'm talking about the James Lynch's of the world. From the time we were about getting started on the 2016 class, my eyes were squarely on the 2017 class because I thought we'd have a very, very good chance to land the #1 class. Needless to say, I didn't expect the start that we had, nor did I expect for Ohio State to be doing what it is; which is putting together likely the best class ever.

Anyways, the Rose Bowl, Adoree and Sam Darnold have really turned our fortunes around. Having Tee and Clay around for in-homes and OVs is going to benefit us GREATLY, as it has over the past several years.

The problem I am having, again, is that we seemed to not be reaching for USC level guys early in the process, something that is very bad. Also, although I know every school does it every year, it is not a good look to lock up a bunch of kids, then drop them. Doesn't jive with the vibe and integrity that Helton is trying to give off and build within the program.

36. Dinky Dunstan

Dinky Dunstan Junior Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Thanks for the great updates.

Really hoping we land Lenoir; was very impressed with speed and moves and it also looked like he played taller than his height (5'11'' IIRC).