Evaluating Parents

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by TaeRiddle, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Evaluating Parents
    TaeRiddle

TaeRiddle Junior Member

Feb 12, 2016
    I thought this was a fairly decent read, and as a coach myself on the HS & youth level I can certainly relate to a lot of what he is saying. With the changing landscape of things and with the influence of parents so strong I think eventually you might even see some type of strict recruiting rules involving the parent. While I agree that they definitely need to be there, some of these parents are over the top.

[FONT=&quot]http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Pat-Fitzgerald-Evaluating-parents-has-become-a-big-part-of-the-process#.VrvGBHHnA16.facebook[/FONT]

2. wyotrojans

wyotrojans Junior Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Being a good parent is tough. It's a balance between teaching your kids to make good decisions and then letting your kids make those decisions so they can learn for themselves.

Some of these parents have their own best interest at heart and it's sad.

3. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Feb 12, 2016
    He's right about the flip side too, when the parents are good, it helps the chemistry and creates an extended family for all.

4. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2016
    As an educator I can attest as to how important parent buy in helps a program. I have 100% buy in this year and I am taking this class farther than i ever cud if they were fighting me. I have witnessed an overzealous parent harm a childs esteem at many a conference. There are times i step in to protect the kid from the parent, it is sad

5. old scotty

old scotty Junior Member

Feb 12, 2016
    I used the same standard for years as a Little League coach....never draft a kid....no matter how well he can play...if his parents are trouble.

I passed up a lot of studs and might have won a few more championships....but I would not have enjoyed it and always had the kids I wanted. Did win some championships along the way too. And the guys who won with the trouble were ripping their hair out and in constant battles with the league and the parents

6. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Feb 20, 2016
    When my son was in his last year of Minor B, I was up in the tower keeping the book when the ump steps out of the box and starts yelling to our 3rd base coach (the head coach of the team): "Do not leave the field. Coach --- I'm warning you -- do not step off this field".

I was thinking, "Huh?"

Well apparently, one of the parents of the opposing team was such an ass, that he wasn't even allowed to sit in the stands with the other parents. He was banished to center field. I couldn't hear him from my vantage point up in the scorer's tower, but he was chirping the whole game, and had started going back and forth with our head-coach's wife. They were arguing back and forth, her from behind our dugout (3rd base line) and he from center field. He had started walking toward her and had rounded the left-field foul pole and was calling her out. "You F'ing B....", etc.

Despite the Umps warnings, our coach calmly walked off the field, through the dugout, out the door, and then down the left-field line. When he reached the guy, he slugged him twice in the face, and the guy went down like a rock. It was epic.

In the dugout, 11 boys were watching with eyes wide open. My son was standing on second base --- so, what do I do now? My third base coach just punched out a dad from the other team.

Sadly, our coach never was allowed to step back on the field ever again, but that idiot dad from the other team was also banished for life.