ESPN: Power 5 discussing no fall football

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 9, 2020.

2. HOFFA

HOFFA Points Member

Aug 9, 2020
    There's no valid argument that I have yet heard that can convince me that college football players are safer, or physically or mentally better off, by staying home rather than living within the confines of the controlled, rigid environment that college football provides.

This is the absolute height of insanity.

Cyrus likes this.
  3. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    If Spring ball , can Sr. Players be on team ? When would camp start & first game?

4. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger Junior Member

Aug 9, 2020
    A controlled environment in contact with other human beings during the peak of a contagious disease that will have down the road complications even among survivors. There are already terms like post-COVID fibrosis regarding irreversible lung damage. The absolute height of insanity is how this country has dealt with this pandemic. It was never a hoax. It was never 15 magically down to zero. It was never going to disappear in warm weather. It didn't require anything at all except basic intelligence in regard to a handful of variables: If there hasn't been a pandemic in a full century, and the population of the country is more than three times that of 2018, and congestion/transportation realities enable ease of gathering, then there was absolute guarantee that the projections would be far too low and precautions needed to be taken early and to extreme.

Sean Doolittle said it best two months ago, "Sports is the reward of a functioning society." We forfeited 2020 sports because one side of the aisle was so attached to runaway ignorant denial that we didn't threaten any semblance of functioning. These universities are making the correct choice now because once classes resume again the numbers are only going to skyrocket. It already happened to North Paulding High School in Georgia, which opened last week amidst denial, and threats to students and faculty not to publicize or criticize. That school already has 9 positive tests...6 students and 3 faculty.

More than anything these message boards since March have been a sickening x-ray toward the caliber of thought behind the college football fandom demographic. You guys rant about real world evaluation of Clay Helton. How about any semblance of real world evaluation of yourselves? This should have been 100% impossible in 2020. If all of us had been told to wear a mask at a game due to temporary pollution at a nearby plant, then everyone would have gladly done it and joked about it. There would have been selfies galore posted to social media from the stands, saying look at us as we learn to breath and cheer in these masks they handed out. Isn't it great?

Instead basic common sense and concern toward fellow man turned into indignation, and disgraceful rants about compliance devices. The politicization isn't happening now from players or administrators. It is six months old and fueled by sad value systems.

5. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Aug 10, 2020
    1. It's partially about being able to have crowds. Schools and communities make money from TV, but not the kind of margins they do from home games.

2. The idea of shutting down the season is also to shut down the now blooming movement for players' rights.
    College football stars hold video call to further unite, issue statement

"eventually lead to a players association similar to the groups that provide athletes in professional sports with a say in major decisions made by the leagues for which they play."

That's a lot of words when one five letter one would work perfectly. "Union."
    My great-grandfather was a miner in Evarts, KY in the 30's. The miners wanted UMWA representation, voted for it overwhelmingly. The owners shut down the mine rather than let them organize. When history calls it "Bloody Harlan" or the "Harlan County War" they're not exaggerating.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  6. Trojan Forever

Trojan Forever Points Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Pretty much of an exaggeration to compare college football players receiving a $70,000 per year free education at a top university to coal miners in the 1930s. Sure the players may have some gripes and somethings could be changed and improved, but except for a few stars (who will make plenty of money in the NFL later) most players have a quite good deal.

7. AnArchitect

AnArchitect Points Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Black Lung killed my Great Grandfather, CTE will kill these poor kids just as dead.
    He was sick for years, but he was eighty before it got him.
    Junior Seau didn't make it past 43. (RIP)
    ...let alone the fear over long-term cardiac issues that are mysteriously appearing in "asymptomatic" people.
    So if that was my point, I don't think it would be an exaggeration at all.

But you missed my point anyway - what I was saying is this is an anti-union lockout by other means.