ESPN: Potential massive Pac-12 player boycott

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 1, 2020.

1. 901 Club

901 Club Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Can something be "reasonable" if it's not "realizable"?

2. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    At least we all agree that UCLA still sucks, right RDTK?

3. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    If you look even a little more closely at how these demands play out, you will quickly realize they are not even remotely close to being reasonable. For example, if you give them 50% of the conference revenues (not even profits, but revenues!), it will kill nearly all - if not all - college athletics.

And that’s before the open-ended liabilities the players want the universities to take on; the legal bills alone would eat up the remaining revenues.

So you just gave away 100% of the money used to fund college athletics. Done, finito, the end.

If I’m off track, please explain it to me. Until then, I’ll view this as an overreach by an entitled, greedy and naive faction.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  4. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    again, tell them all to pound sand and do not give in at all. Most are extremely happy being able to play football at these Universities and if given an ultimatum, most will play. If they don't want to play, have a nice life and go join Antifa.

Gilesmiles, OC2SC, Troken and 6 others like this.
  5. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Athletes are killing the golden goose
    Like most posters my interest in college and pro sports has plummeted in the last weeks
    I love sports for the diversion and escape from life’s harsher realities
    These fools have no idea where this will end

6. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    For 245 years we've been honoring our flag. Now you have an issue with it?

What does that say about you?

Why don't you just get up go take a wiz or go buy a soda during this time? An intelligent man adapts to his environment and distances himself from anything that upsets him. Why do you force yourself to watch something you dislike?

So I guess my vote cancels yours out. That's how a Democratic Republic works.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Kaptain Karl, OC2SC, Troken and 8 others like this.
  7. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    20200802_101843.jpg
    If it were up to the Million Dollar man Helton would not get paid. He believes. "IF YOU DON'T DO THE JOB. YOU DON'T GET PAID"

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Rodgarnay51, gubo&palanka and Troy70 like this.
  8. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Perhaps the athletes once they move on to the next level and get paid huge sums of money, they will donate their salaries so they can say they are following the equity and fairness they do want for their fellow human beings. Just a thought....

9. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    These demands really aren't about all college athletes, regardless of what pathetic attempts they made to be "inclusive". This is about black male football and basketball players.....PERIODT!

How about donors demand to see the test scores and GPA's of student athletes being admitted to USC. How about donors demand that any athlete offered any scholarship amount has to have no more than one standard deviation test/GPA lower than the average incoming student to USC. How about the minimum GPA get raised to 3.0 to keep a scholarship, renewable each semester, not year. How about, along with covid testing, the school administers drug and alcohol testing. 1 infraction is a warning, the 2nd, you lose your scholarship. How about ALL athletes have equal access to facilities, resources, coaching, not just football and basketball players. How about athletes get the same living accommodations as the rest of the student body.

How about athletes take an additional 6-hour training on sexual assault and date rape. How about athletes be held to same standards of social media content that the rest of the student body is held. How about these athletes demonstrate their ability and experience in choosing some of the resources they are demanding control over.

I am so over entitlement and demands. For years I donated to the Athletic Department. Never once did I have a concern over the race or gender of the athlete who might be benefiting from MY money. I became a Galen Donor assuming the money was to benefit both male and female basketball players. If athletes want to slice up how my money gets spent, then I know my decision to stop donating was the right one. I truly hope donations, revenue, interest, and attendance dry up.

10. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    You tell em, person with a cervix.

11. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 2, 2020
    Well, as others have stated, it's time to find other things to do in place of CFB (even if there is a season). I won't be blackmailed or bullied into supporting BLM.

Golf and tennis could see a rebound in popularity. Reading might make a comeback. Lots of silver linings to be found for a fan walking away from college football.

12. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Agree 100%....

Pound sand mofos.....

If we have to blow off college athletics for awhile, so be it....

13. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Are you sitting in one of those seats that automatically strap you in 30 minutes before kickoff? If you're not, just stay in the concourse until kickoff. There, I fixed it for you.

August West likes this.
  14. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Actually, that is not entirely true; in fact, in many cases, none of that is true. Much or most of that scholarship money comes from endowments from individual donors or their foundations. An endowment by any other name is an enduring gift which makes this discussion about athlete demands even more offensive. I don't know about you but when someone gives me a gift, I either accept it graciously or I don't accept it at all. If these players actually think their scholarships were paid for by revenue they generated and therefore feel they should have more of a say about the ways and means of the athletic department, I say give them the thanks of a grateful nation and invite them to give the real world a try.[

15. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Financially, there's no way colleges can move even a couple inches in this direction without running afoul of Title IX. But I see a nice compromise here: Pace vball, hold athletes accountable to the same rules about academic performance and behavior as the rest of the student body, including a level paying field for all students to access equipment, dorms, and dining facilities... in return for allowing athletes to profit from their likeness and any similar sponsorship/endorsement deals.

16. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Lol @ reading making a comeback.

So, if their demands aren't met, then what?

I have no problem with these athletes trying to improve conditions for themselves and their fellow athletes. If I am a parent of a student athlete, I'd want him to be afforded protections and policies that ensure he gets treated fairly like every other student.

However, these srudent athletes have got to have enough self-awareness that the opportunities they've been given because they're able to play a sport on behalf of a university - opportunities that others would kill for- aren't their birthright.

They've been "jumped to the head of the queue," as it were, because they have athletic skills most others do not. This has enabled them to get into schools that the overwhelming majority of them wouldn't be able to if they had to apply as an ordinary student.

17. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Notice how they want a 50% revenue share within respective sports. Well the revenue sports are Football and Men’s basketball. They kill those and the rest die too, guaranteed.

These demands are like they are already in a professional league. Basketball should just close the doors, release the players from their schollies and tell them to apply for a job in the D League. You know where there are no fans in the stands and the cheerleaders are washed up strippers. Same thing for football. Arena football takes players minimum age of 18 years. Bunch of prima donnas.

If this prevails, I will turn off CFB just like I did MLB, NBA and NFL.

18. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    I’m holding out for racial equality and the Chinese Fullback.

gubo&palanka and AMLTrojan like this.
  19. flyfishintrojan

flyfishintrojan Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Sadly I just don’t care about college football very much. The CFB I grew up with has no connection to today’s CFB and I have no interest in adjusting my perspective to THIS CFB.

I won’t even remotely care if USC never contends for a football title. I won’t care if football is dropped. It will be interesting to observe if today’s students even care about football to become next years supportive alumni. I say no.

Gilesmiles, gubo&palanka and Trojack like this.
  20. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 3, 2020
    In my case, play/go hear live music. Last fall before the shutdown I missed a lot of the SC games anyway. I can survive.

gubo&palanka likes this.