ESPN: Potential massive Pac-12 player boycott

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 1, 2020.

2. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Never thought I'd ever say this, but USC should just cancel all sports. If it wasn't bad enough what our BOT is doing, now this?

3. IrightI

IrightI Junior Member

Aug 1, 2020
    It will be interesting to see how much support this movement garners and if players from other conferences follow suit

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  4. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Aug 1, 2020
    I just want my sports to be free of politics. No desire to see college football become another venue to bombard me with this. I don't care if the politics align with my beliefs. I'm just over it.

5. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Same here. My first reaction was that I'd rather go watch little league games. At least there you know they're playing for the pure fun of it.

OC2SC, Merlin4SC, Rodgarnay51 and 4 others like this.
  6. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Hell, ill be ok with stopping all sports, and take away all schollys at this point....

Ive learned to do away with all kinds of things....ill just do more of:

Play golf
    Fish at the piers
    Read a good book
    More time for chores and families

7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Well, Clay collects his $$$ without a L.

gubo&palanka and TroyBoy like this.
  8. jiordone

jiordone Junior Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Call their bluff and tell them to F off! If they don’t want to play, don’t let the door hit them I’m the ass on the way out.

These kids have zero idea what’s going on in the real World, they are all just being pushed with the narrative.

Gilesmiles, OC2SC, Merlin4SC and 7 others like this.
  9. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Aug 1, 2020
    I would guess the NCAA and college presidents made up their mind weeks, maybe months ago to cancel football for 2020. They're slow-playing the official announcement for appearance sake only. Just make the call already, and eliminate the silly sideshows like this! Longer they wait it's only going to get worse.

10. Peete2Affholter

Peete2Affholter Junior Member

Aug 1, 2020
    It's an interesting issue - these players were given a free education in exchange for playing sports on behalf of their universities.

Unlike other scholarship students, whose scholarships are usually academic in nature, and so keeping their scholie is predicated on keeping up their grades, the scholarship athletes may not even be allowed to keep up their end of the bargain, even if they wanted to.

Regarding them organizing for a "better workplace" as it were, I'm all in favor of it, but "fighting against racial injustice" is too nebulous to be seriously addressed. It's like saying "we want to alleviate poverty." Well, of course - who wouldn't be against poverty or racial injustice? But come up with some specific policy changes you want and then it can be properly discussed.

11. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Aug 1, 2020
    "The group's list of demands, according to the text message, includes
    • safe play amid the pandemic,
    • fighting racial injustice,
    • securing economic rights and fair compensation,
    • protecting all sports and
    • obtaining long-term health insurance."
    As a USC Alum (BS and MS) who happens to be a black American from LA and former federal law enforcement official this all seems right to me.

Part of the problem is USC not explaining to them the worth of a full year athletic scholarship ($57,256) and that it comes solely from the revenue generated by the Athletic Department. USC needs to be much more open and transparent about its financial statements with respect to the Athletic Department. USC should publicly publish annually how every dollar is generated by the Athletic Department, where it is spend, and the salary/compensation of every employee in the Athletic Department - while not required by state law there's nothing prohibiting it.

12. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Aug 1, 2020
    It’s been years since I’ve fished off a pier.

13. SCBIGTIME

SCBIGTIME Junior Member

Aug 1, 2020
    If athletes are going to start making demands about equity and fairness, perhaps the student athletes should demand that their sports teams resemble the demographics of their their city, state, and country.

Introducing politics to sports ruins it for everyone if they follow the progression of chasing after every social grievance. It's ludicrous to think that scholarships won't be snapped up by athletes playing since childhood dreaming of having such an amazing opportunity.

14. OCBeachTrojan

OCBeachTrojan Points Member

Aug 2, 2020
    I’m with you, do away with the athletic scholarships and replace them with academic scholarships....I have no problem spending my Saturdays surfing !!

15. RDTK

RDTK Points Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Totally agree. So can we finally STOP having the flag, military flyovers and anthem shoved down our throats before the start of every game!

16. Area51Trojan

Area51Trojan Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    China endorses this message.

17. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Most of their demands seem reasonable if not understandable...
    ===========
    Pac-12 Football Unity Demands
    To Protect and Benefit Both Scholarship and Walk-On Athletes

I. Health & Safety Protections
    COVID-19 Protections
    1. Allow option not to play during the pandemic without losing athletics eligibility or spot on our team’s roster.
    2. Prohibit/void COVID-19 agreements that waive liability.
    Mandatory Safety Standards, Including COVID-19 Measures
    1. Player-approved health and safety standards enforced by a third party selected by players to address COVID-19, as well as serious injury, abuse and death.
    II. Protect All Sports
    Preserve All Existing Sports by Eliminating Excessive Expenditures
    1. Larry Scott, administrators, and coaches to voluntarily and drastically reduce excessive pay.
    2. End performance/academic bonuses.
    3. End lavish facility expenditures and use some endowment funds to preserve all sports.*
    *As an example, Stanford University should reinstate all sports discontinued by tapping into their $27.7 billion endowment.

III. End Racial Injustice in College Sports and Society
    1. Form a permanent civic-engagement task force made up of our leaders, experts of our choice, and university and conference administrators to address outstanding issues such as racial injustice in college sports and in society.
    2. In partnership with the Pac-12, 2% of conference revenue would be directed by players to support financial aid for low-income Black students, community initiatives, and development programs for college athletes on each campus.
    3. Form annual Pac-12 Black College Athlete Summit with guaranteed representation of at least three athletes of our choice from every school.
    IV. Economic Freedom and Equity
    Guaranteed Medical Expense Coverage
    1. Medical insurance selected by players for sports-related medical conditions, including COVID- 19 illness, to cover six years after college athletics eligibility ends.
    Name, Image, and Likeness Rights & Representation
    1. The freedom to secure representation, receive basic necessities from any third party, and earn money for use of our name, image, and likeness rights.
    Fair Market Pay, Rights, & Freedoms
    1. Distribute 50% of each sport’s total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports.
    2. Six-year athletic scholarships to foster undergraduate and graduate degree completion.
    3. Elimination of all policies and practices restricting or deterring our freedom of speech, our ability to fully participate in charitable work, and our freedom to participate in campus activities outside of mandatory athletics participation.
    4. Ability of players of all sports to transfer one time without punishment, and additionally in cases of abuse or serious negligence.
    5. Ability to complete eligibility after participating in a pro draft if player goes undrafted and foregoes professional participation within seven days of the draft.
    6. Due process rights
    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season