ESPN feature on women’s soccer star Penelope Hocking

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by ErikMcKinney, Sep 27, 2019.

2. bell

bell Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    INTERESTING TAKE ON HOCKING

I've watched a few women's matches and I've hardly seen any of the shenanigans which are the subject of this report. The women seem to me to play largely clean matches, far cleaner than the men for sure.

3. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 1, 2019
    My daughter played against Penelope at Excalibur. Very aggressive player....got more warnings than any other player I can remember.

You have to watch the game close up to really see the dirty play. It's going on and often away from the camera. If you aren't claiming your space or retaliating, in a sense, you won't see the field much. Emotional outbursts are the thing that will get you kicked off.

4. bell

bell Points Member

Oct 1, 2019
    I LIKE MY PLAYERS AGGRESSIVE, DEFENSIVELY & OFFENSIVELY, BUT...

...I don't like them if they're reckless or dirty - elbows, late tackles, tackling from behind, high boots or anything that jeopardizes the well being of other players. Next time I go to a live game, I'll watch out for them.

5. bell

bell Points Member

Oct 10, 2019
    YOU MAY BE RIGHT ABOUT THE HOCKING GIRLS AFTER ALL, AT LEAST THE ONE AT ARIZONA CALLED ILIANA

She was in a recent match at Arizona and after she fouled an opponent, the announcer made reference to their legendary feistiness. Shortly after that, she was involved again in a near altercation with another opponent, both players facing each other down, a rare sight in the women's game. That said, I see little rough play in the women's game compared to the boys.

6. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Well sure, there is no comparison just as there isn't one in speed, strength/length of kicks. It's like the difference between men and women playing basketball....same sport, totally different styles and approaches.