espn Announcers Tonight: Clueless

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by BlueBlood, Jan 2, 2017.

2. 801trojan

801trojan Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Kirk is still mad from the whooping sc was putting ohio state years back.

3. octrojan

octrojan Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    i loved how they commentated on Biggie (#19) pumping up the team on the sidelines after the lucky tip TD pass.

4. usc1011

usc1011 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    The worst job in a long time.....they really stunk. One of the best games of the year and they just wanted you to leave it. No idea of what was going on.

5. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Jan 2, 2017
    The post game interviewer introduced the defensive player of the game as Stevie Kolovatu.

6. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Try hitting the mute button and the stupidity goes away.

7. jorgec55

jorgec55 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Absolutely horrible. Now, more then ever, I regret the decision to switch my major from telecommunications.

8. TKnight

TKnight Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    The whole broadcast was slanted toward PSU. USC will not get the love again until we are the last team standing after 2017 or 2018 playoffs. You could hear it in Fowlers voice all day everything went back to PSU this PSU that yada friken yada! :blah:

9. Kindred

Kindred Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Man, a lot of you are grasping at straws. I didn't hear anything derogatory about SC and detected no bias. KH is one of the best out there! As for Kieth Jackson, he retired about 3 years too late! He would just make stuff up and Fouts had to correct him repeatedly. The interview with him tonight was PAINFULL to listen too.

10. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Loved how they went from giving Penn State all that love after the 3rd qtr to talking up SC in the end. SC Just beat the Comeback Team of 2016 at their own FLIPPIN game. SC best them in the 4rth qtr. guarantee everyone in that booth had SC losing at the end of the 3rd

11. AllHailSC

AllHailSC Banned

Jan 2, 2017
    Probably drunk. It's new years.

12. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Fowler gave a memorable commentary after sanctions were announced. He called USC a program of cheaters, saying we paid our players and our penalties were deserved. He's never disguised his anti-USC bias.

I turned the sound off through most of the second half so I didn't have to hear his PSU cheerleading. The guy is a complete douchebag. Oh, btw, per Wiki he spent part of his youth in State College and his dad taught at PSU, so no bias there I'm sure.

13. pintailrider

pintailrider Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    God Bless, Keith Jackson!

14. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    I don't. Jackson was never that good.

15. GarryP

GarryP Publisher

Staff Member
    Jan 2, 2017
    I rode down the press box elevator with Fowler and Herbstreit after the game. They were talking to each other about how they couldn't believe how calm Darnold was, even in the post-game interview when he was thanking everyone in sight.

16. Eeks2284

Eeks2284 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Herbstreit didn't mention the Penn St. tight end's push off on his TD until Franklin started whining about Juju's amazing catch on the sideline, but at least he did.

17. Daygoboy6191

Daygoboy6191 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    I love how they kept on talking about the death penalty type sanctions placed on Penn ST, but don't recall them mentioning USC's sanctions which were far worse.

They also forgot to mention why Penn St got those penalties, and that they got the penalties reduced..

It's a joke how Penn St was let off for for worse crimes, and USC had to deal with it.

18. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    We all do. He was one of a kind. It was sad seeing him tonight. He is not the man he was. His voice was fading. Loved the guy. One thing, we were extremely lucky not to have Brent Musberger. He drives me to distraction.

19. IETrojanFan

IETrojanFan Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Normally, I don't mind Herbie & Co. Tonight they drove me mad. I do think that all the pre-game and in-game PSU love was probably dictated by the network they work for, but the in-game announcing revealed their true allegiance... the level of excitement in their voices when PSU made a nominal gain vs. the lack of same enthusiasm when 'SC scored big was very noticeable...

20. norcalsurfer408

norcalsurfer408 Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    His voice is either fading or the microphone was not close to him, it was kind of hard to some parts of what he said. Seeing him though kept giving me flashbacks to the good ol days

21. USCDENTIST

USCDENTIST Junior Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Personally I thought Herbie was good. Fowler was mediocre.
    Agree with some others that the most annoying thing was the constant mention of how psu overcame sanctions and even the pregame video of how penn state overcame it but no love for USC who overcame much worse.
    As I type I'm watching the replay and the stupid fumble that the refs overruled and called penn states ball.
    Man, I wish the announcers were allowed to talk about how screwed USC got by these refs on 5 or 6 straight calls.

22. TrojanMoondoggie

TrojanMoondoggie Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    I think Herbstreit, when I've seen him, is largely hands-off with USC. He usually gives credit where due, and critiques where warranted as well.
    And Lee is often quick to give us kudos, and the headgear. And he's like 100% in his headgear calls for USC, isn't he?
    Now does that mean that Corso likes USC. Or Herbstreit likes the Trojans? Maybe not. But they are usually pretty fair the times I've seen them.

I do agree though, I found the praise for PSU a little nauseating considering how egregious the sins of their institution were. While USC was all but left to die on the vine with little support or recognition of our fight back over the years. And again, what happened at USC pales in comparison to what happened at PSU. I find it peculiar how the sports media, and fan bases across the country are already willing to let bygones be bygones with them. Despite the vile things that happened here. While few comments are made about us.

23. sc85sis

sc85sis Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Was at the game and haven't seen the broadcast; my friends and I all felt the presentation in-stadium was very pro Penn State. They interviewed a handful of former PSU players during breaks throughout the game. For USC, they interviewed Mark, and that was it until they talked to Ricky Ervins. But they interviewed Ricky as a Rose Bowl HOF inductee, not strictly as a USC alum.

24. BlueBlood

BlueBlood Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Like so many things in life, some things just cannot be predicted. I made this post largely to vent, and figured/hoped I'd get two or three replies. Instead it's to two pages now, and I'm thrilled to learn I was not alone in my frustration with the espn yahoos.

25. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Herbie played it down the line. He called the Juju catch on the sideline before anyone. He didn't agree with the reversed fumble recovery. And called the personal foul on Uchenna ticky tack. He also said Sam was in "another galaxy," which I dug.

Fowler was pretty clearly biased toward Penn St. I think Ponder did her job updating the Adoree injury as an ankle.

In the end, it doesn't really matter.

Jackson was great in his time and I also wish he was still in the booth somehow. The legend actually made some astute observations during his airtime interview. But of course, it also slowed the broadcast down to a crawl and it wasn't easy to see how much he's aged.

26. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Unfortunately the announcers will always hype whichever team is doing well at the time. It was a painful 3rd quarter and it was tough to hear all the adulation for Pedo St. as our team struggled. I turned the volume down.

As for the pregame coverage and the narrative for both programs, I agree SC's unjust sanctions was downplayed and Pedo St.'s bogus reprieve was upplayed.

Then again...at least they didn't harp incessantly on all the drama related to Sark/Kiff/Haden etc. That would have sent me spinning!

27. TroyBill

TroyBill Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    The NCAA has some real mixed up priorities and have never been consistent in meting out punishment. In our case they were out to get us. This was evidenced by the emails and transcripts that were revealed in the McNair case. Haden hurt us more than Garrett ever could. He tried to play kissy face with these guys. I would have gone for their miserable throats. It does not matter now. That horse has been bludgeoned to death and we need to move on from this long nightmare.

28. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    I watched the game last night after I got home....announcers were fine. Herby is very good and this was not a slanted broadcast.

I have complained about broadcasts in the past but this is not going to be one of them.

If you think this was one of the worst ever.....maybe this is the first game you have watched?

29. mpron

mpron Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    The best part of watching the game on DVR is that you can pause it and give the radio broadcast time to catch up and watch the game with the sound off and Pete and JJ doing the audio. Yeah you get a couple of minutes of lag,but it works for me.

30. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    I had no problem whatsoever with the way the game was announced. Their job is to tell the story of the game. They came in with a lot of prepared material and they fit it in where it worked, but I never felt like their had a pre-scripted narrative of what they wanted to see happen.

The story of the game was USC came out fast and quickly established itself, while McSorley threw 2 picks.

Then the story morphed, as USC couldn't stop Penn State to save our lives. They scored on 4 straight plays. When does that ever happen? The wheels completely came off our defense. They were right to call it the way they did: Penn State was unstoppable.

Then at the end of the 3rd quarter we started punching back. Again, Fowler and Herbstreet told the story of the game as it was unfolding below them. As USC made it's furious come-back, they were excited and talking about how amazing Sam was playing.

Walk-off FG, and the two of them were completely candid and excited about the way the game ended.

Some of you people are looking to be butt hurt and insulted. They didn't diss us, nor did they call a biased game in any way. It was a great game and the two of them did a nice job of narrating it without getting in the way (the way Mussburger always does).

31. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Jan 4, 2017
    I turned the sound down on them all night and even though there was a delay, I listened to Arbo and Jackson all game long