Erik, Malcolm Roach Criticizes Todd Orlando’s Scheme

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by 1stNGoalSC, Feb 14, 2020.

2. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Feb 14, 2020
    Oh there are definitely criticisms for Orlando, and there’s a 0% chance that Roach is the only former Texas player who feels that way. I think Orlando is a really solid hire for USC, but I don’t think it’s an absolute guarantee it works out. His defense has been called too complex at times and fans of his former teams complain as much as USC fans do about Clancy Pendergast when it comes to defending third and long. But for all the talk here from Roach about how Texas’ players weren’t put in position to succeed in 2019, you look back at 2018 and two linebackers combined for 10.5 sacks and a defensive end had 9.5 sacks and 18 tackles for loss. A safety had four interceptions and two cornerbacks combined for 23 passes defensed. The year before that, Texas had 15 players record at least one sack and five players intercept at least two passes.

This is also a defensive lineman criticizing a defense that doesn’t rely on defensive linemen getting to the quarterback. That’s not surprising, and I think it’s what makes the USC defensive line the focal point of the spring. It definitely feels like there’s way too much talent there to simply allow them to be block eaters and try to allow mostly unproven linebackers and safeties to be the guys generating quarterback pressures and sacks. But Orlando also has a bit of a reputation for being creative and having the ability to adjust. He definitely has had some down years as a coordinator, but I feel like there’s enough of a positive record where I’ll go into spring optimistic about the change he’ll bring and what he might be able to do with the defensive roster.

The Texas defense was torched through the air last season, and with the ability this offense has in the passing game, we should be able to get a pretty quick sense of whether that might be a big issue for USC this fall.

3. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Feb 14, 2020
    shoulda coulda woulda

his defense was the reason they beat Georgia and have a Sugar Bowl Trophy

J4SC75 and CrownoftheValley like this.
  4. 1stNGoalSC

1stNGoalSC Points Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Thanks, Erik. Very insightful reply.

5. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Didn’t he beat SC in Austin. They did adjustments, end of story

gubo&palanka likes this.
  6. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Without looking up stats... I believe his Defense at U of Houston was towards the top during his time. Orlando can be burned on 3rd and long, much like we have been over the yrs... he is an aggressive play caller and sometimes that happens. I'm willing to stay positive, TX had A LOT of injuries last year on D which hurts. Not only do I think almost no good DC would leave to come coach under Clay, I think Orlando is about as good as SC could have done. I think Orlando will improve this D tenfold.

7. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020

8. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Feb 15, 2020
    I read some where that Orlando was asked Herman to change his defensive scheme 2019? Maybe he should blame the head coach for making the change

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  9. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Don’t let these recent hires deceive you.

They are simply stop-gap measures to appease fans already on the fence as far as supporting this team with clown remaining as head coach. Stop-gap measures the equivalent of placing multiple band aids over a flesh wound, when what is really needed is an amputation, i.e., the firing of clay.

I wish Bohn luck. His job is not an easy one. He knows clay is in over his head but can’t do anything about it quite yet. The greedy administrators behind the varsity blues scandal, the perv gyno, and the heroine-addicted and prostitute-cavorting med school dean are to blame, along with pink pants-wearing haden for sticking us with clay, and boy narcissism lopes for choosing cutty sark.

Truly, a parade of imbeciles. USC should be ashamed of itself. It’s been all about the benjamins, without any accountability, transparency, or shame, the result of the culture firmly set in place by the Grecian wonder nikias.

ConquerorSC and Troy70 like this.
  10. TrojanFireHorse12

Feb 15, 2020
    True

We may look a bit silly if they go 10-2 this year though. lol

But at the end of the day. We all know the reality of the situation with Mr. Fight still being the HC. That it will not translate into anything positive post-season. And the sooner he gets fired the better it will be in the long run for USC Football. To go along with all the reshaping/firing of HH. It makes little sense to allow (clueless) worn out leftovers to stick around.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    ConquerorSC and TrojanHorseshoe like this.
  11. TrojanHorseshoe

TrojanHorseshoe Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
    Trust me, you don’t have to worry about this team hitting 10 wins next season. clay is like cutty “7 win” sark in that his plateau is no more than 8 wins w/out significant talent to bolster his coaching deficiencies.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  12. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Feb 15, 2020
  13. TrojanFireHorse12

Feb 16, 2020
    Let's hope he's as multiple as he says he is, maybe he'll use more 4-3 given what Craig did versus Utah as the interim DC.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  14. SCnAZ

SCnAZ Junior Member

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    Just step on the cockroach, he will go away

15. August West

August West Points Member

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    3-3-5 was implemented to try and defend all the Spread passing offenses in the B12. The fact the ball gets out quick in those offenses makes a traditional pass rush obsolete. The DLs job then becomes contain and stop the run.

The kid needs to shut his mouth and do what the coaches tell him to do.

16. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    See a little bit of Coach O in Orlando. Both have that fire and passion.
    Sure Coach O was not chosen at USC.
    But he won a NC at LSU as HC.
    And you will notice as soon as Coach O left the physical nature of
    USC football went down. It could be PC loss also.
    Now if only Helton can Learn to manage and learn to make good decisions.
    The assistant coaches seem actually good.

17. TaeRiddle

TaeRiddle Junior Member

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    Hard to run a 4-3 defense in a conference where everybody is in 4-5 WR sets.. You have to be multipe with 3-3-5 or 4-2-5..

August West likes this.
  18. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Feb 18, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    The 3-3-5 vs 4-3 is a personnel related matter as much as anything. We used more of a 4-2-5 and 4-3 last season with a lot of different looks including a 3-3-5. Anyway, the elements I'm looking for are: 1) how is man-child Drake Jackson used? 2) do we use a true Nose Tackle...we have the personnel for that move 3) Where does EA lineup? (on the edge is his most natural position, by far) 4) what do we do with the Will linebacker role? 5) Who is the Mike linebacker (Goforth...cool name, btw) 6) Can we give name badges to the corner/nickels so the safeties can get introduced to each other? Some enhanced communication, situational awareness and discipline would go a long way to solving 3rd and long.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020 at 1:47 PM
  19. TrojanFireHorse12

Feb 18, 2020 at 5:34 PM
    all this and more

20. August West

August West Points Member

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:54 PM
    3-4 in college is extremely difficult to run, as you know, it requires a fireplug at NT to take on a lot of double teams, and he still needs to clog the middle. Also, rangy tweener DE/OLBers are not grown on trees. It’s very difficult to get the proper personnel year in and year out. In the pros where the core players stay for many years, it’s easier to implement that scheme.

We did play a lot of nickel last year, which in the WAC12, is a solid base D. An extra DB covering a 3rd option is far better than a LB.

Id like to see that continue this year. I don’t think Orlando is locked into one way or another, I believe he fits his D around the talent at hand. Last years UT was an anomaly, if you look at Orlandos previous defenses, they were darn good.

The talent is there, they’re green, but I think this hire could be good for all concerned.

TrojanFireHorse12 and Cyrus like this.