Enjoy the recent recruiting bonanza

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by SGVFlip, Jul 11, 2018.

2. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I believe this is a good thing. The one & done thing has not been good for NCAA hoops.

3. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I would disagree.
    We have seen several prospects come in the PAC-12 that I believe never would have set foot on campus had it not been for the age limit.

Some prospects off the top of my head would be:

Ayton (Arizona)
    Gordon (Arizona)
    S.Johnson (Arizona)
    Brown (Cal)
    Rabb II (Cal)
    Brown II (Oregon)
    Ball (UCLA)
    Leaf (UCLA)

And there are more I think would have gone, even though they may not have been as highly rated..

4. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jul 12, 2018
    It will be good for college hoops...

Get the pretenders (and their advisors, hangers on, etc) out of the equation....there will be a bunch every year that will go straight to the pros (G League, NBA, Europe, etc) but those kids that go to college will be the type to play a little longer.....

Nothing worse than spending years recruiting an elite kid, only for them to bug out after a year.....

And this is the first summer that they've allowed NBA scouts at AAU/HS events.....

5. Carlsport

Carlsport Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Hopefully they will adopt the baseball rule, so kids can choose to be draft eligible out of high school, but if they go to college must wait 3 years before they are draft-eligible again. Will give programs a lot more stability.

I admit though that am saddened it has come to this because the overall talent level in college will decline significantly. It will hurt the NBA too, as they will need to "gamble" on prospects right out of HS now, some of which will be busts for sure.

Rodgarnay51 and bell like this.
  6. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 12, 2018
    Read Spencer Haywood vs. the NBA (US Supreme Court 1971). This is precisely why the "wait three years before being draft-eligible" will never fly in court. The NBA really has no choice but to either set an age limit that the courts will sign off on or re-allow players to jump straight from high school to the NBA. The NBA lost this once; I doubt they want to lose it again.

7. Carlsport

Carlsport Junior Member

Jul 12, 2018
    How does baseball get around this rule then?

8. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 12, 2018
    Simple. Because unlike the NBA, Major League Baseball is exempt from the Sherman Antitrust Act according to a 1922 Supreme Court ruling (challenged many times since, all unsuccessfully). Because of this, they can do things that other professional sports cannot. It's not particular fair or even rational but that's why you can't apply MLB standards to college basketball's relationship (or non-relationship) with the NBA.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Carlsport likes this.
  9. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 14, 2018
    The flip side is having more teams of upperclassmen.

10. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jul 14, 2018
    True, but what would be the talent level of those guys?
    Does us (PAC-12 programs) having the upperclassmen put us out of contention for these elite prospects?

I worry that the rich will continue to recruit at a high level and the rest will get what’s left.
    Hopefully they stay 2-3 years and we go from there..

11. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jul 16, 2018
    These are the types of kids that pay a bit of attention to academics, getting that college degree...so schools with good academic standing should do well....the mercenaries will be out of the equation...

12. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Jul 16, 2018
    My thought is that nothing will change for Duke or Kentucky, it’s the Gonzaga-type programs that will suffer.

As CAE is proving rn, there’s no reason SC shouldn’t do well.

13. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jul 16, 2018
    That isn't that big of a stretch since that is what happens now.
    The elite go to the elite schools to be a OND, the ones that value academics AND want to hoop go to schools like Stanford, etc.

The mercenaries will still be there though, I believe that the control is going to be shifted from the AAU coaches to now being the HS coaches for those that are going straight to the NBA.
    The volume (to me) is going to up with so many prospects believing they can make the jump straight to the NBA.
    I am hoping that the NBA is able to improve their G-League (again) and have some higher age-requirement so the college game isn't so watered down.

14. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jul 16, 2018
    I believe Gonzaga has solidified themselves as a premier program, between recruiting HS prospects and landing transfers.
    If I were keeping it strictly PAC-12, here is how I would break it down:

Zero Impact
    Arizona
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    UCLA
    USC
    Washington State

Minimal Impact
    Colorado
    Oregon
    Stanford
    Utah

Major Impact
    Arizona State
    Cal

The best of the best will be fine because they have more to offer than just playing time.
    The bottom-feeders will continue to be the worst of the conference.
    Those that will hit the hardest are the programs that play in premier conferences and always have roster spots open for elite prospects to come in, start, produce and leave early for the NBA.
    The ones in the middle have solidified how they built their program and will continue to follow that method..

15. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Well, at that point, who cares if you're the colleges....why would we care about those kids that jumped straight to the NBA...that's the NBA's problem....I care about the kids that end up at my favorite school, and if my school has a decent program, good academics, then that school should do fine....

Kids and their families will eventually figure out that not all kids are slated to make BIG BUCKS in the pros, and will then decide to spend some time to get their degrees/education....this is what I see in the long run....so overall, the college game will improve, more longer term kids on the roster most years....

Troy70 and mvpreed2 like this.
  16. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I can understand and respect this..

17. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I love college hoops, but it's getting harder and harder to cheer for your team when the top level kids stay 1 year....

Looking forward to the day when rosters are full of kids that want to play for the team on their uniform....maybe that ship has sailed, but even if we lose the top 10-20 kids every year, I believe the college game will improve....

There's got to be some angst among the Duke faithful for example...they claim to be a top notch academic school, but their beloved program is now full of "mercenaries" every damn season...

Trojack and Carlsport like this.
  18. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Jul 17, 2018
    The easiest way to get rid of the mercenaries (in all sports) is to make the student/athletes go through the same admission process as everyone else. If they meet the school's entrance requirements, then give them the athletic scholarship for as long as it takes to matriculate them. I think it's fair to say that the great majority of the potential OND's could not get into most D-I schools on their own. In this scenario, the very best of the non-qualifiers would jump immediately to the NBA and the ones that need seasoning at a lower level could either play internationally or play in the plethora of developmental leagues that the NBA would be forced to develop. What you would be left with are "...rosters full of kids that want to play for the team on their uniform..."

19. Chase

Chase Junior Member

Jul 17, 2018
    There are two major flaws in this line of thinking.

The first is the apparent assumption that kids who do well academically and absolutely love playing for their college would not drop out of college immediately to play professional basketball if NBA money was on the table. Every single kid playing college basketball -- from Power Conference schools, to the Mid Majors, to Low D1, to D2, D3, NAIA and even Juco ball -- every single one of them wants to play in the NBA, and would drop college in a nanosecond to do it if it meant becoming a millionaire.

The second assumption is that fewer college players will leave college early if high schoolers are permitted to enter the draft. This may be true initially, but given recent trajectories, within a few years it will be unlikely that allowing kids to go straight to the NBA from high school will mean that college players remain in college longer. For the reason on that, see my prior paragraph.

If you want kids to stay in college longer, then let them profit off of their likeness. That is far more likely to result in marginal draft picks sticking around.

20. Chase

Chase Junior Member

Jul 17, 2018
    This would be devastating for poor kids who use college athletics to gain admission and tuition for college. It would destroy the popularity of American college sports over night. Nobody wants to watch the equivalent of intramural sports.