End of President Folt ceremony

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Troy70, Sep 20, 2019.

1. End of President Folt ceremony
    Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    BOT Chairman Rick said see you at the Coli. From the tone of Dr Folt ‘s speech will be shocked if Urban gets considered. She said wants change fast . Well, Lynn agrees . Focus on students with 600 million FA to reduce student debt, Fight On. SC medical highlited. Pointed out Coli rehab done with no public funds & thanked supporters.

PacTrojan, CP619 and gubo&palanka like this.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    I didn’t see or hear the speech, but you had to figure that she’d focus on the academic stuff, not so much on the athletic stuff.

But I didn’t ever think that she would give serious consideration to hiring Meyer anyway.

3. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    She talked about fixing things . Why she talks I think she has a large Ax, lol

DaFireMedic likes this.
  4. Linebacker II

Linebacker II Points Member

Sep 20, 2019
    I didn't get to hear the whole speech. However, just as she began, some protesters standing right in front of me held a banner reading "Silent Sam" and then chanted something. I couldn't make out what they were saying, but they temporarily drowned out President Folt. I have no idea who Silent Sam is.

5. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    http://dailytrojan.com/2019/08/21/silent-sam-should-inform-vkc-name-change/

SCBIGTIME and 901 Club like this.
  6. TXTrojan_itul1

TXTrojan_itul1 Junior Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Should fit right in with the liberal progression of the school... safe spaces and removal of "their" history.

7. Linebacker II

Linebacker II Points Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I left shortly after President Folt began her address. I heard her say something about "diversity" and "climate change," so I'm pretty sure she's no conservative.

I also noted that the the invocation invoked the Hindu god Ganesh as well as "the spirit of Rosh Hashanah," but not God. The Rev. John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, who was watching from his perch atop Bovard Tower, was probably not pleased.

8. GSOTrojan

GSOTrojan Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    "Silent Sam" was a statue on the University of North Carolina campus dedicated to students that fought in the Civil War (reportedly on both sides). The monument was considered to be a Confederate one, so there were protests arguing that it was racist. Sort of like the USC student who felt Traveler, who had a name similar to Traveller, Robert E Lee's horse, and is white, was also a racist symbol.

9. Tusc2000

Tusc2000 Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I'm not 100% certain, but I believe after the statue was torn down, she authorized funds for it to be fixed and placed in a separate area of the NC campus, as a way to try and appease some groups and to try and defuse the issue, if that was at all possible.

10. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Is it my computer, or is this post missing about every third word?

"She said wants change fast." Ok, Tonto. Dark cloud bring big rain. Many buffalo.

11. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019

It’s not your computer.

It’s Troy70 reporting. Be glad he left out abbreviations, lol.

12. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    "Folt should make it one of her first actions as president to rename VKC and start addressing other statues and structure names that no longer align with the University’s values, like Traveler, USC’s mascot white horse that may have been named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s horse, Traveller. "

How does a writer for the Daily Trojan advocate such an indefensible concept?

PickSicx, Trojan12, BigBen and 2 others like this.
  13. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    This made me lol

14. PacTrojan

PacTrojan Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    von KleinSmid was a passionate supporter of eugenics, which he described as "the science of good birth", and related sterilization programs, KleinSmid co-founded the Human Betterment Association. He argued that "The acceptance is even now upon us, and the application of the principles of Eugenics to organized society is one of the most important duties of the social scientist of the present generation." He wanted to ban interracial marriages and weed “inferior” genes (aka people of color) out of the American DNA pool.

Glad to know who his current day supporters are... I would bet that 100% of the players on the team would find his views repugnant and offensive.

15. GLA4USC

GLA4USC Junior Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Will this writer demand that Deborah Harry be banned from campus? After all, Hitler's dog was also named "Blondi."

PickSicx, Trojack and Trojan12 like this.