Eli'jah Winston undergoes surgery for broken ankle

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Jun 15, 2020.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Jun 15, 2020
    So 2 major injuries and we are not even practicing yet! and both players have already used their redshirt season.

Winston has looked really good during the brief times he has played and I think he has great potential, so this is a real shame. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  3. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Wow, “severed turf toe”? That IS an extreme case!

lol, just messing with you Erik. Funny typo.

Rodgarnay51 and SouthbayTrojan91 like this.
  4. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Hope Winston has a speedy recovery.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  5. heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jun 15, 2020
    This is probably a stupid question to pose, and I'm guessing it's been addressed before: does it appear to anyone else that injuries are way up in college football? I don't think it's a USC issue, perhaps I'm wrong, but is there something systemically wrong in training protocols? Is it related to these kids doing too much, too early? All I know is we didn't see this in such mass or frequency in prior eras of CFB. Dings, bruises, hamstrings, miss a game or two, of course. Now the odds seem to favor a guy losing a season. What gives?

6. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I think part of it is the amount of information you know have.
    You may have not heard about this in the past eras. If the injured player is not a starter or a regular contributor, would you have known or noticed?

7. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I agree. All of the LBs looked pretty aimless to me last year, but I think Winston is going to be good if he gets good coaching. I thought the LB play was horrid last season, and I don't think it was entirely the players' fault.

3rd Slide and Cardinal&Gold like this.
  8. Rodgarnay51

Jun 15, 2020
    I tripped over that one too.

As a copywriter I love funny typos. My own have become more frequent with age.

in2nation likes this.
  9. gkierkegaard

gkierkegaard Junior Member

Jun 15, 2020
    This is pure speculation on my part, but I think it has partially to do with the amount of time everyone spends in front of some kind of device these days--phone, ipad, laptop, etc--and which these kids have been doing since age 5!

I think the immobile nature of focusing on a relatively small screen for extended periods of time (and doing it on such a regular basis) naturally creates a lot of inflexibility, a lot of kinks at the micro level, a lot of tissue tension if you will. Couple that with a physically demanding activity like football and I think you have the formula for higher rates of pulls, tears, etc.

Also, you can't really stretch those kinds of kinks out. So extra stretching is probably not the answer, though I also bet things like yoga would help somewhat.

Of course we're all guilty of computer screen addiction; I'm the worst! But for most, fortunately, it's not in conjunction with intense physical activity.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  10. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Jun 15, 2020
    100% agree. The LB core was the weak link of this defense last season.

A. I give the DL a (grade B-) outside of Drake Jackson there was no 10 sack a year threat. The interior is solid with Tufele, Pili, Marlon but I was expecting more production from them at this point. Tufele is the best of the bunch. Marlon is more of a NT he's doing good they dont get the stats like the DE's. Pili is solid. I only recall this unit dominating 1 or 2 games (Utah, UCLA). I think they bounce back this year. Need to find someone who can get pressure on the opposite side of Jackson. This season. To turn the corner.

B. The DB's (grade C+) Turns out there are a lot of bodies capable of playing and a few stars in the making. I love the dynamic duo at safety. There was just a ton on young guys last year. Look for them to improve. This could be the strength of the defense next year like LSU defenses. They need to get more picks and create more turnovers tho. (That's why they are C+ and not B+. They were amongst the worst in the conference at takeaways last season)

C. LB (D+) I don't think this group was even average. Right now I would take several Pac 12 teams starters at LB over this group. Cal's, Oregon, Washington's, even Arizona State's with Merlin Robertson leading the charge. EA was suppose to be an All American but at this point I'm not sure if he is a back up player. Id go with Kanai Mauga as my LB leader. This core just did not have an Intimidating, disruptive playmaker that can take over a game. They need someone like Cal's Evan Weaver or Baylor's Clay Johnston. Maybe a Freshman could push for some time. I think this group improves with Orlando he's a LB expert. I'm rooting for EA to turn the corner and take over games he has the potiental, dude is a prototypical LB. If I were in his ear. I'd be saying common man there is no tomorrow. We need it now!!!

I'm not going to put all the blame on these guy's who do work hard. Most of my criticism is directed at Clancy Pendergast and Clay Helton for using and endorsing a scheme that handcuffed 4 and 5 star athletes. (Cover and not attact) They didn't get Sacks and they didn't get picks. I guarantee you Drake Jackson on Ohio State last year gets 12 sacks. He has 5.5 sacks in this scheme. Wole Bitiku had 9 sacks in 10 games at Illinois. Wole had zero in 3 years at USC. The gloves are off now watch Todd Orlando work his magic.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Canyon, 3rd Slide and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  11. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Jun 15, 2020
    USC leads the way in injuries. I was comparing throughout last season and USC had always double the injuries of any other power 5 teams. Helton has the injury curse

3rd Slide likes this.
  12. Rodgarnay51

Jun 15, 2020
    Thanks for your response C&G. I've watched a few SC replays on Pac-12 in between AHC shows lately, and overall I was surprised how easy to run on the Trojans were. I would not have expected that with the likes of Jackson, Tufele, Pili and Marlon T up front - IMO all good to excellent players. Not too many runs in the games I've watched were stuffed at the line of scrimmage.

You have to blame part of this on the LBs and their coaching. Tough to plug a hole if you're 10 yards off the ball. Houston was really hustling but he is just not stout. EA was either floundering or a non-factor. He's too good of a player not to be more productive IMO. I'd love it if they'd let him rush the passer a lot. Mauga was really hot and cold, but showed a lot of potential as long as he can limit his mistakes. I'm not the Iosefa fan a lot of people are - maybe taking a year off will help him mentally and physically. That still doesn't leave anyone strong against the run at ILB. Maybe Solo? Maybe a new role for Echols, Winston and McLain? Seems like some untapped potential that needs to receive proper direction. The LBs to me really didn't seem to know what they were supposed to be doing.

I think you have to look at the CBs and safeties completely separately. I thought Pola Mao really improved and played at least as well, probably better, than Marvell Tell before him. We all know about Hufanga. He's the Slovis of the defense - will make a ton of plays if he stays healthy.

The corners seemed to get worse as the season went on. I know they had some injuries but they made a lot of mistakes. Were you impressed with Griffin, Steele or ITS? I thought Hewitt showed some potential and seemed to have his wits about him more than any of those guys. I think Max Williams is good too. Greg Johnson had moments. So if the CBs improve the defense could be a lot better. Overall I agree with your grades.

Canyon and AMLTrojan like this.
  13. Rodgarnay51

Jun 15, 2020
    Computer screen addiction caused me to have a relapse of the concussion I received in March. For real. Dumb.

Canyon likes this.
  14. ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jun 15, 2020
    Ha. The severed turf toe should help this recovery process since there's less weight for the ankle to support.

in2nation likes this.
  15. SC ForLife

SC ForLife Junior Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Broken bones heal faster then ACLs. Hope there wasn’t too much soft tissue damage. Heal up quick!

16. BigRex

BigRex Points Member

Jun 15, 2020
    This makes the loss of Flowe to Oregon even more painful.

17. 559er

559er Junior Member

Jun 15, 2020
    These LBs have had terrible instruction and a poor scheme for their talent over the last 2 years. I hope that changes.

3rd Slide likes this.
  18. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Yep, soft tissue injuries are brutal in the ankle. I know as I’ve had annual December surgeries the past 3 years on my right ankle to correct the damage from an undiagnosed complete tear of the Brevis tendon over 20 years ago. Nerves entrapped, strangled, compressed by scar tissue. Scar tissue adhering to bone. Load bearing joint. Just a difficult area of the body. I wish him god speed on the recovery. Would not be surprised if he used my surgeon at Cedars Sinai who also teaches foot and ankle surgery at Keck.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    SC ForLife likes this.
  19. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Get up! Walk it off!

But but there's bone sticking out...

I don't care! Push it back in! Rub some dirt on it and walk it off!

CFB Fan likes this.
  20. CFB Fan

CFB Fan Junior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    I did that for 20+ years on a completely torn Peroneas Brevis tendon and the result was not good. They had to break out the bone saws to rebuild my ankle with my own parts. Would not recommend it to anyone. And yes, 20+ years ago, MRIs were new and expensive. So they just took xrays, said nothing was broken, here’s a bag of ice.