Ed Reed, Chief of Staff?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by heyrev, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Ed Reed, Chief of Staff?
    heyrev

heyrev Junior Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Manny Diaz comes off a dismal 6-7 season and hires Ed Reed to a job replete with wide ranging responsibilities for the Miami program. Interesting that the Hurricanes are seemingly taking the same route of hiring past legends--ones with zero administrative or coaching history--as a lifeline to resurrection. I guess it's an easy trap to fall into?

jjg4sc likes this.

2. August West

August West Points Member

Jan 30, 2020
    With the same results....Michigan tends to do it too.

we should pay more attention.

3. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Great for Manny and for Ed. There is no negative aspect to them bringing in an Ed Reed. Great Cane, First Ballot Hall of Famer and even better human being.

4. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Jan 30, 2020
    What does Miami have to lose? They need someone who can help convince the local guys to stay home. Sorta of like what USC is going through at the moment.

5. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Jan 30, 2020
    There is no school, including USC that is impacted by former players more than Miami is. That has faded over the last ten or so years, but you bring Ed Reed in, and that could change everything

6. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Jan 31, 2020
    Now they need Warren Sapp and Michael Irvin. What's Vinnie and Portis doing these days?

7. SpincycleUSC

SpincycleUSC Member

Jan 31, 2020
    Reggie Bush disassociation from USC's ends in 2020... could be interesting if we do a similar role here.

Reggie's influence may not extend to today's recruits born in in the early 00's but would still be a boon for local recruiting in my opinion. Leinart or Polamalu would be other good options as well.

8. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Jan 31, 2020
    "18. Further, regarding the disassociations of student-athlete 1, student-athlete 2 and representative B, pursuant to NCAA Bylaws 19.5.2.2-(l) and 19.5.2.6, the institution shall show cause why it should not be penalized further if it fails to permanently disassociate student-athlete 1 and 2 and representative B from the institution's athletics program based on their involvement in the violations set forth in this report. "

There is nothing in the COI or Appeal report that says the disassociation of Bush ends in 2020. It's permanent.

On the other hand, it says USC "shall show cause why it should not be penalized further if it fails to permanently disassociate" Bush. So if it wants, USC could tell the NCAA it is ending the disassociation because enough time has passed. Basically challenge the NCAA to penalize SC for letting Bush back onto campus 15 years after his infractions occurred. Which would not go over well at a time when the NCAA already allows schools to pay athletes to cover the "full cost of attendance," and is considering allowing athletes to otherwise get paid.

Nevertheless, I doubt the current administration wants to jump into that fight right now.

9. 4thamp1

4thamp1 Junior Member

Jan 31, 2020
    How about Willie Lee McGinist, Jr., Minister of Defense and Brian Cushing, Sergeant of Arms. Bring back some bad ass Trojans from the past to instill some toughness into the program.

10. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger Junior Member

Jan 31, 2020
    This is the situation at Miami: Manny Diaz promised plenty -- "The New Miami" -- then delivered nothing his first season, unless you count 5 defeats when favored by 7 or more. Diaz makes asinine comments as a rule. Much of the fanbase wanted him out in midseason but logically there is no chance of a quick departure since he doesn't embarrass off the field and is considered a good guy whose father served as Miami mayor.

The athletic director Blake James is flat out hated by much of the vocal fanbase. He is blamed for a string of poor decisions. Early in the 2019 season it became well known that a woman named Jennifer Strawley was second in command to James and essentially assigned to oversee the football program. That drove Canes fans nuts. They are ultra terrified of females in positions of power, especially when it comes to the football program. Within days Jennifer Strawley went from virtual unknown to a symbol of everything wrong with the football program for the past 15 seasons. There were monetary campaigns to fly a banner over Hard Rock Stadium, ripping Blake James and Jennifer Strawley. The funds were raised within days.

However, James is a good fundraiser and well liked within the university. He was not on the hot seat either. Nor Strawley. But the pressure from those vocal outraged fans seeped into the Board of Directors, many of whom were impatient and wanted changes as well. The first priority was to switch to a spread offense. Somehow that's the miracle cure. There were actually thread after thread on Canes sites throughout this season, pointing to Harrell at USC and what a phenomenon that was. Overpowering jealousy. When I would mention that Harrell and his pass oriented style were not exactly universally loved on USC boards, I was greeted with disdain and chastisement.

Rhett Lashlee was hired away from SMU to fix the offense. Now many Canes fans are conflicted because they want Lashlee to succeed but Diaz to fail and be replaced. I'm one of the lucky ones because with allegiance to both USC and Miami I get to sample stuff like this on both coasts.

The desperation to reduce power from Blake James, and have someone restore the talent pool of the football program, led to month long rumors that Alonzo Highsmith would join the Canes in this concocted Chief of Staff role. Highsmith became the frothing priority. There were rumors it was on the verge of happening. The related threads reached 50+ pages. Some posters were saying they were refreshing the page all day long to receive the jubilant confirmation.

When that fell apart there were whispers that Manny Diaz didn't want Highsmith, that Blake James didn't want Highsmith. They preferred the status quo with modest tweaks. Hatred toward those two soared exponentially. However, some posters began leaking the name Ed Reed to assume the same role proposed for Highsmith. It seemed more wishful thinking than sensible. There were no 50 page threads anticipating Ed Reed.

Then today it happened out of nowhere. Rejoicing overflows. We took away Jennifer Strawley's input and gave it to Ed Reed. That's the thinking. There are already quotes from Reed saying he pinpoints the decline of the football program to the 7th Floor Crew, to players doing too much partying and not taking their roles seriously. That type of garbage is what Miami fans want to hear. There are sidebar threads touting Ed Reed as the great talent scout. Gator fans who mock the concept on their forums are being parallel mocked on Canes boards.

Who knows? I'm more interested in USC replacing Clay Helton than any hopes for a Canes resurgence. I have season tickets but enjoy the games more than any false expectation. When I was a kid Miami football was never going to be anything beyond a minor bowl game perhaps once per decade. I'm still in disbelief it somehow turned into 5 championships and 5 other legitimate opportunities. I taped almost every game and saved those tapes because I fully grasped how fragile it was, and destined to collapse.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  11. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Feb 1, 2020

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed together are you kidding me?