Does Slovis start next year if JT is healthy?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Gilesmiles, Oct 21, 2019.

2. jpq21

jpq21 Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    If Slovis finishes the season well he'll have a definite leg up. But I bet they'll have a competition either way because Helton will want to be fair to JT (even though it will cost Slovis a lot of reps). Hopefully he'll decide at the end of spring, but I kinda doubt it.

Edit: I just realized that it's likely JT won't be ready till Fall. Meaning Slovis will be getting better all spring but they'll still have probably 3 weeks of competition in the Fall anyway, and Slovis will not get enough reps to be prepared for Alabama so he'll lose confidence and get flustered and we'll get creamed.

Troy70 likes this.
  3. JayBird23

JayBird23 Points Member

Oct 21, 2019
    One is much smarter than the other. Brains count. I should take my own advice but hitting the weight room in the off-season is a good thing.

4. Ngdoug

Ngdoug Points Member

Oct 21, 2019
    It seems like you’re assuming Helton will be back as head coach. Heaven help us if that’s the case. New coach means new system so I’m sure competition will be open. Time will tell.

5. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    i think there will be a competition but Slovis will win it, if the offense being run is similar to same of the current one.

6. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Yes

7. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Well interestingly, it may count against you in this case. JT appears to be the higher IQ guy, but his decision making seems slowed by all the calculus taking place after the ball has snapped. I took a deep dive on this a year or two ago showing historical military leaders. Battlefield decisions are typically better served by instinct than putting too much thought into something that requires an instant conclusion.

I have a feeling Daniels will wind up in coaching.

racea911 likes this.
  8. SC93er

SC93er Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I expect Slovis to win out. He makes quicker decisions and is more elusive in the pocket. I will say that JT looked pretty good in Harrell's offense in the brief time he got to play before getting injured. His injury may make him even more of a statue in the pocket than he was before, though.

One of the posters above mentioned that Slovis will likely not get enough reps because of the QB competition and we'll thus get creamed vs. Alabama. I expect we will get creamed anyway, but not because of QB play. How much better is our O line since our prior game vs. Alabama? Yeah, exactly.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  9. TrojanDrive

TrojanDrive Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Yes.

Slovis is better than JT.

JT is a statue who had a tendency to lock in on St. Brown as a safety blanket from his Mater Dei days. We have too many WR weapons for a QB to lock in on one WR.

Slovis sees the field better plus has some mobility. I also sense more of a "it" factor with Slovis where the moment isn't too big for him while JT had a deer in the headlights look most of the time.

jjg4sc likes this.
  10. TrojanInSF

TrojanInSF Points Member

Oct 21, 2019
    We have no body of work this season to evaluate JT's improvements. Having said that, I've been impressed with Slovis and would be surprised if he significantly faltered down the stretch.

Next year he'll be coming of a full season as "the guy" and will get all #1 reps in the Spring if JT is still healing. I'll be surprised if he's not the starter...

gubo&palanka and Sam Bam like this.
  11. 2blkk

2blkk Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Yep

12. TouchdownUSC

TouchdownUSC Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    There's several games to play. To early to say who will be healthy or who will be coach.

DADMoyock and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  13. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Disagree, Daniels processes plays a lot slower rate than Slovis, which is fatal at this level. It worked fine for him HS behind of the the best O lines in the country, but it just doesn't work in college. Plus, he moves around in the pocket poorly and panics under pressure. Not so much for Slovis. Part of being a elite QB is being able to get rid of the ball quickly. Daniels doesn't think fast and has a slow release. I'll go with Slovis.

14. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Pray we have a new HC in Spring camp

sctrojan2006 likes this.
  15. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I am a bigger fan of JT than most. He is a very good passer. But Slovis is amazing. I think he's going to be REALLY good. I would take Slovis. I just worry about him getting concussions, which his mentor unfortunately suffered.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  16. Rodgarnay51

Oct 21, 2019
    Yes, but it's not too early to say that Slovis has been amazing at times and JT has been pretty good at times. There's a difference, IMO.

gubo&palanka and racea911 like this.
  17. Rodgarnay51

Oct 21, 2019
    That's the bottom line. Agree.

gubo&palanka likes this.