DL coach

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by USC1, Feb 12, 2020.

1. DL coach
    USC1

USC1 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    From Virginia So’oto. Poly connection decent stats but relatively young. Could be a great fit

2. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Interesting. We are tapping into guys from various programs.

Oregon, Texas, Virginia, Kansas State. This staff is coming together nicely (aside from the HC). Although, most of us thought that Pendergast, Baxter, BKU, et al. were a pretty good bunch when we assembled that staff.

3. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    It's one thing to bring in individual coaches, it's another for the HC to actually have a "vision" of a program he wants to construct, and implement the pieces to make it so.

In this case, we have a lame-duck HC that's basically been sidelined, and individual coaches that appear to be competent. The missing pieces are the vision and the accountability of a HC to ensure the correct end-results are reached...each week.

Time will tell, but it was Helton's unwillingness to hold his coaches accountable for their lack of production that created the awkwardness of needing to clean house. In theory, all of these new coaches are capable, but there's nothing binding them at the top. This experiment can possibly just work with a collective will, or it can absolutely implode...since not much is keeping it from doing so.

4. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Understood. I've seen many shitty commanders in my years, yet the units were extremely successful. That's because they had a great staff. I think it's more than plausible that a high quality OC can have a well-run...focused offense and a high quality DC can have a well-run...focused defense...and together have a winning team. The thing about those commanders was that they let their staff do what they needed to do...the question is can Helton do that? He apparently didn't have issues with his previous staff doing their own thing so i'm sure that will continue. Only other variable to this equation is that the OC and DC communicate on their gameplans.

AZUSCfan, nvargas and GoSC1 like this.
  5. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Don’t think Helton is a lame duck coach for he has been given another chance.
    But by recent record he should be gone.
    He has another chance to make good
    Just have to wait and see what happens

jjg4sc likes this.
  6. Arizona Trojan

Arizona Trojan Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    I have followed his career for some time. BYU is my other team and I remember him as a good TE before he switched to DL. He's starting to make quite the name for himself in coaching. I think he's a great hire.

gubo&palanka and FIGHTON! like this.
  7. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    I have worked on staffs with principals with no vision, or were just terrible, if the staff is good, the school didn't suffer as much as was expected. If Helton allows everyone to do their thing, this could very well work. I am going to choose to be hopeful about it.

8. nvargas

nvargas Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Agree staffs of competent people can operate at high levels despite poor leadership. Respectfully, the military (police/doctors, etc.) are different in the sense there's a call to duty and a lot is on the line. Have you seen the HBO show Generation Kill? The underlying theme throughout was that these young Recon DevilDogs were operating at an extremely high level, despite their idiot leaders making things more difficult.

In the case of coaching, and more specifically in our case, these coaches don't owe the school anything, they're not yet invested. They've been here all of a week, and none of them are alums. They can leave a week later (#Kingsburry/Bo Davis), and they can certainly leave after '20. It's a business for them, and they will look out for #1. They know their jobs are linked to Helton, and Helton is on a lava-seat.

Doesn't mean they don't take pride in their crafts, won't invest themselves...it just shouldn't be assumed this is a certainty...only a possibility...a probability...a hope?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  9. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Very compelling argument and great response. Just as we shouldnt assume that they will take pride in their crafts or invest in themselves, it shouldn't be assumed that they will pull a Kingsbury either, I guess. Bottom line is that we dont know. They DO know that Helton is on the hot seat and the situation they are walking into, there must be some hope.... :)

10. SC Forever

SC Forever Points Member

Feb 12, 2020
    I like all the coaches hired this year. Now, it is time for CH to resign.

11. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Wishful thinking, but we all know that's not going to happen. Especially since USC has just given Clay as close as you can get to an all-star staff. If Clay didn't resign after last season, there's no way he's going to now. He can go on vacations with Miss Angela 11 months out of the year and still win 9-10 games. We just bought Clay three more years.

12. J4SC75

J4SC75 Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    And he has been mentored by Bronco Mendenhall, who has been a tremendous coach at UVA after his stint at BYU. I will tell you that Bronco is laser sharp when it comes to philosophy and focus; UVA is a program on the rise.

Arizona Trojan likes this.
  13. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    If CH goes on vacations for 11 months a year, this team will win more than 9-10 games. It's sticking around that creates problems.

AnArchitect and zitorocks like this.
  14. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 12, 2020
    I figure Clay loves November so much that we won't be able to keep him away. That means two losses right there. Plus, Miss Angela will probably find out what we all know about Clay...he talks a good game about being hard, but the execution is always soft.