Did SC really have a shot at Dave Aranda?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Jay4usc, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    At that level of salary, you aren’t going to be able to spend what you make, and as for saving it, you get to a level where it’s just a number, and as the saying goes, you can’t take it with you.

But, the most important point is, who the fuck would take Louisiana over SoCal? :D

But but, I agree with you that I think the article is bullshit. No way Aranda comes to work for Clay.

ConquerorSC likes this.
  2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    In your opinion, what would deter Aranda or a coach like him from working under Helton at USC?

3. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Two things to think about.
    Aranda, if the article, and the stuff I heard about two or three weeks ago, from someone who knows people on the staffs at LSU and USC and wasn’t saying it as some huge breaking news, was willing to leave LSU for USC, the answer could be quite simple.
    Autonomy over the defense. Yes, he was coordinating the defense, but how much freedom did he have to run it his way?

Could it be about the same amount of freedom their OC had? Over the wonder boy from the Saints.

Ed O is a defensive guy and I know for a fact he constantly butted heads with Monte. So much so that after that Oregon debacle he told a couple reporters that it wasn’t the defense he would have run.
    At USC he may have been promised 100% control. Something I don’t believe he had at LSU

4. ConquerorSC

ConquerorSC Points Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Very well reasoned response, like always. The only thing I’d slightly disagree with is that if he wants to invest heavily in something expensive, such as large properties, and/or create large savings or investment funds for his current and future progeny, he could invest more of his $2.5 million in Louisiana than he could in California.

cshen10 and Ride Fly like this.
  5. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    People said there was no way Todd Orlando would work for Clay either.

Trojan Man 30 likes this.
  6. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Promised to get first crack at HC job when Clay fired

7. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Hoping that that the super source that we are all lending to conjecture is not the former publisher of 247. That would be a mistake to lend credence.

8. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Feb 22, 2020
    now, this I’m hoping is what Aranda has his eyes on in the near future, after Clay gets fired. Wouldn’t that be a hoot, if Aranda actually sees the SC HC job as the ultimate goal (notwithstanding a HC job in the NFL).

SoCalN8tiv likes this.
  9. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Feb 22, 2020
    but Todd Orlando was just fired from Texas, so even if he might’ve originally been inclined to not work under Clay, being fired changes one’s perspective.

Cyrus and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  10. USCTrojan1990

USCTrojan1990 Points Member

Feb 22, 2020
    heritage hall was telling big donors Aranda was all set to go if he didnt get a good head coaching position. he didn't like working for Ed Orgeron or LSU and almost left last year too. hard to believe but we did get Kliff last year, USC is a still a good spot for coordinators.

I will add that now these same people are telling everyone Todd Orlando was their 1b next to Aranda because of what a sports statistics consultancy group told USC, but that sounds like spin to me

11. cshen10

cshen10 Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Why not compare the atmosphere at Tiger Stadium to LA Coliseum? I don't think even close. Again, Baton Rouge and Los Angeles are completely difference. I am old so I like the area around LSU campus comparing SC University Park. The houses around the lakes including the location of frats houses are absolutely beautiful. I spent few days there last month when going the CFP game and surely think campus of LSU at Baton Rouge a work of art, especially for people like trees. All their sport teams also play in much better venues. LSU attracts prospects and talents around all sports with good reasons.

12. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 22, 2020
    They aren’t going to believe it until someone asks Aranda. Like I said, it was reported on at least one board three weeks ago, and barely caused a raised eyebrow. Literally, people moved on in an hour. Not here though, it is a BIG FREAKING DEAL on here.

If Dennis Dodd hadn’t written that article, no one would even be talking about it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  13. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Haha. This is great

Folks nobody in this world lies. We all give our opinions. I've heard it all. Thank you for showing me who we're dealing with.

BTW: You use the I'm not defending Clay Helton line in several post then go on and defended him all over this board. At least I have the balls to say I can't stand him. That wasn't always my position but 4 years is enough time to see what he is. You defend him and Bohn and then post disclaimers saying you are not a sunshine Pumper or defending these guys. I don't need a disclaimer. You know exactly where I stand and the sooner they fire the clown the better.

Another thing. You think you are the only one who has access to players and coaches? Think again. I can tell you I have yet to meet one guy or his family that was 100% on board with Clay Helton most had the opinion that They were committing to USC because of the school regardless. In fact I've talked to at least half a dozen recruits that said they wouldn't consider USC because of the "coaches" that includes Clay. They didn't.

100% of fan base I've talked to said they wanted a new Head Coach. I know this because I wear USC gear everywhere and it's the number one thing people say when they see me. First it's the Fight on then the haymaker "they just need a new coach". Happens everytime.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Ride Fly likes this.
  14. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Crazy person, alert
    I was not and have not defended Clay Helton. I simply said he wasn’t lying when he said Dave Aranda was coming if he didn’t get the Baylor job. It was true. Just because you don’t believe it, doesn’t make it a lie.

As for me defending Helton this is just more evidence you have no ability to see anything clearly through the haze of your hatred. Find one post on here in the last two years where I’ve defended Helton in anyway but a superficial manner. As in, he’s a nice guy etc. I don’t even think I’ve said that.

But, I challenge you to read this thread, to my knowledge the only thread I’ve ever started about Clay Helton and still believe I am defending him
    https://wearesc.com/forum/index.php?threads/clay-helton-is-not-a-coach-he’s-a-den-mother.66607/#post-999666

Now, once again, stop wasting both of our times.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  15. Ride Fly

Ride Fly Junior Member

Mar 1, 2020
    Soooo you’re saying you like Clay Helton....

Bwahahahahaha! Just kidding Blem. No one but Conqueror84SC nutbag likes Clay Helton as our HC.

16. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Mar 1, 2020
    If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  17. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Mar 1, 2020
    Aranda will most likely decide that after getting another sign of divine intervention from the Almighty.

GarryP is gone but it's also too bad Helix Trojan/BestLakersFan isn't around much anymore to add some needed clarity.

18. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 1, 2020
    No problem. Never met the man, but I gave him every benefit of the doubt. Which lasted until about mid season of 2018, and looking back, that was probably naive on my part. I’m an eternally optimistic person. Always have been and hopefully always will be. So sometimes, my optimism clouds my ability to be realistic. It’s a trade off I’m willing to make, because I believe overall, it has served me well, and kept me young.
    But I don’t care if we go 14-0 next season and win the National Title, I will not be able to give credit to Helton for doing anything besides staying out of the way and giving a rah rah speech at halftime. Because from what I’ve heard, that is pretty much what his job description is now. That is from a current player in so many words.

I will however plead guilty to defending Bohn and Sosna. Based on things I’ve been told, by people who have actually spoken to them, these guys really get it. They are actively seeking people out and asking them, off the record, what they need to do to help get the fan base back on board. I have friends that have never spoken a word to Haden or Swann the whole time they were AD’s who have had numerous casual, off the record talks with one or both of them. These guys get it. So the people who feel a need to hate on Bohn just because he didn’t or couldn’t hire Urban Meyer can continue to do their Rumpelstiltskin act here everyday, zero Fvcks given by me.

Fight On

19. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Mar 1, 2020
    I agree. I think Bohn does get it, but his hands are tied with regards to the HC.

20. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Mar 1, 2020
    I’ve heard so many different things I don’t know what to believe.
    I buy the theory that Folt didn’t want to fire Helton because she knew there needed to be structural changes made first, but then I don’t get why Tessalone still has a job. I know they would never just say you’re out Tim and give him 30 minutes to box up his office.
    He’s in the HOF for good grief.
    But I don’t know anyone who thinks it’s a good thing he is still there.

Problem is, almost none of them can say it publicly. I’m guessing Adam Maya but that’s about it