Did SC really have a shot at Dave Aranda?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by Jay4usc, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Alvaro Carrillo

Alvaro Carrillo Points Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Now that makes no sense. Why would Penei's development have anything to do with it when they don't play the same position? Flowe probably committed because of Donte. Or maybe he didn't want to play for Clancy. Its all speculation at this point.

2. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    We really should have had Flowe. He grew up a USC fan and until last year every recruiting site had USC as the heavy favorite to reel him in. But with the losing season in 2018, and USC looking pretty mediocre much of last season, the blue chip recruits looked elsewhere.

Something made Flowe head to Oregon, and I doubt it was simply a skilled Ducks recruiter. I have to think that Flowe was looking out for his own future, and it’s pretty clear that he felt his future looked brighter at Oregon than at USC after looking at all the factors involved, including player development and his chances of going to the NFL.

Any year prior to 2018 with the exception of the sanction years, and I’m pretty sure Flowe plays at USC.

3. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 20, 2020
    Makes all the sense in the world. Penei raved about Oregon and how the developed players on both sides of the ball. Kayvon Thibodeaux was the PAC 12 Freshman Defensive Player of the year. Mase Funa really improved under the Oregon Coaches he was 3rd team all Pac 12. Troy Dye another line backer was 1st team all PAC-12 linebacker. Oregon had a legit shot at a final 4 and curb-stomped us by 32 points. How many SC linebackers were on the all Pac-12 teams. Hint it rhymes with hero. Yes ZERO. We don't develop shit. Of course that is why Flowe would not play for helton.

4. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 20, 2020
    Accurate post. One addition. If we had fired helton flowe would have seriously considered us along with a bunch of other 4/5 star kids that we lost.

DaFireMedic likes this.
  5. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Not exactly the same thing is it? I’m not saying is incapable of lying, I’m saying it doesn’t make sense for him to even mention Dave Aranda’s name, especially when Aranda could just say “ I have no clue what Helton is talking about. I was never close to coming to USC”
    Clay really gets nothing out of this.

DaFireMedic and The Lizard King like this.
  6. Jay4usc

Jay4usc Points Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Maybe Aranda was going to be the HC not as a DC and why there was rumors of Helton being fired? That whole fiasco was really odd.

7. Trojack

Trojack Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Odd??? Aranda was making $2.5M at LSU with two more guaranteed years on his contract. For USC to "match" that (as Dodd's article alluded to), they would have to offer him at least 40% more than he was making in Baton Rouge, which basically means they would be paying him as much as Helton. Does any of that pass the laugh test??? I don't think Helton lied about any of it. I think somebody made a self-serving statement on his behalf and told him to keep his mouth shut.

cshen10 likes this.
  8. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    I think if Aranda was offered the HC position, he would be here right now.

zitorocks, cshen10 and jjg4sc like this.
  9. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    It had absolutely nothing to do with Helton. Justin loves Coach Helton.
    There were two things that Flowe wanted. First and foremost he wanted Chris Claiborne on the staff, and secondly, he didn’t want to play for Johnny Nansen, although he might still have come if Claiborne was here.
    If they would have hired Claiborne and fired Nansen sooner, Justin Flowe would have signed with USC as would have Jordan Banks, the LBer from Narbonne.

10. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    He didn’t want to play for Nansen, and he wanted a Chris Claiborne

11. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 20, 2020
    Show me one quote where Flowe says he loves Helton. Just one. So he loved Helton and went to Oregon where he will beat heltons ass for the next 3 years. Ok. That makes sense.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  12. uscjrl98

uscjrl98 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Feb 20, 2020
    From the recruiting experts at Rivals" Flowe has visited USC numerous times and a source said anything could still happen in the five-star’s recruitment and that no avenue has been completely shut out. If coach Clay Helton is fired and a big-time coach is hired at USC, the Trojans might be able to get back in the game if Flowe has enough time to consider them."

Your love for helton is really clouding your judgement and blocking out reality.

Cardinal&Gold likes this.
  13. Cardinal&Gold

Cardinal&Gold Junior Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Clay Helton is the biggest lying con artist there is:

Didn't he say:

Tee Martin is doing a great Job (fired)

Tee Martin is calling all the Plays (false)

I wanted to step back and work on Situationional Mastery (ran the same exact system got the same results, penalties and undisciplined play)

Neil Callaway is a great coach (fired)

John Baxter is the best in the Business ( Fired)

Were putting the finishing touches on an amazing class (Worst Class in History)

Mike Bohn is a lying puppet himself. (4 silent commits)

I came here to listen and learn yet (90% of the fan base wants Clay Helton fired. The only thing this puppet has listened to is his bosses. They say jump and he says how high. He's an errand boy.

These two can't stop lying.
    He may have conned some of you but I know a lying politician when I see one.

As far as Clay Helton goes: A man of Charracter doesn't kiss ass the way this guy does. The game ball trick on Folt was a pathetic display of desperation to save his job. To me It shows a lack of Character and how pathetic Clay Helton really is. I'll never support this turd. This guy is so useless they had to bring in more people to carry his dead weight, overpay and offer the staff multiple year deals.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    uscjrl98, cshen10 and TroyWill like this.
  14. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    My love for Helton? Are you kidding me. Find one good thing I’ve said about Helton in the last two years.

I don’t care what some guys at Rivals said. Justin Flowe didn’t commit to Oregon because of Helton. He was visiting USC right up to the last minute, AFTER USC had decided to keep Helton, and didn’t make his decision until the last minute. You read shyte on the internet from people who probably never even speak to these kids. My info comes from someone who was speaking to him every day, and who speaks to Chris Claiborne every day.

You bring up Rivals? Ok, answer this then. Mike Farrell, you know,Rivals main guy, was predicting Flowe to USC on December 16, two days before signing day. Explain that one.

https://usc.forums.rivals.com/threads/video-mike-farrell-talks-justin-flowe.64594/

I also saw your post about some guys telling you November 28th at some camp that he wasn’t coming. Explain the last minute visits if that was true?

I have absolutely no love for Clay Helton, but if anyone is being influenced by an emotional response to Helton, it is you, not me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  15. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    I think you are having trouble distinguishing between a lie and an opinion. Clay Helton saying Neal Callaway is a good O Line Coach is an opinion, not a lie.
    On a side note, I asked Jon Stinchcomb, you know, the greatest O Lineman in UGA history about Neal Callaway and he raved about him, said he was a huge reason he was drafted so high. Was that a lie, or an opinion?
    Tee Martin and John Baxter are opinions, not lies.

Saying Dave Aranda had agreed to coming to USC either before, or contingent on the Baylor Head Coaching situation, is a provable lie,
    It isn’t an opinion. All that has to happen is for some Baylor reporter to ask Aranda if it was true. His answer will not be an opinion.

I’m not defending Clay Helton. I’m simply saying that him and Bohn, even if they are pathological liars, aren’t dumb enough to basically just make that shyte up, out of the blue. Because the only other person who knows the truth, could destroy them if it isn’t true.

Read the thread topic again

zitorocks likes this.
  16. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Show me one quote where he said he didn’t like Clay

17. GoSC1

GoSC1 Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Don't get ticked... that is his standard mo - if you say anything not entirely negative about SC, or Helton, his response will be that you love Helton. Yes, it IS possible to not like Helton as our coach, yet be able to see things objectively, but, some folks just can't do that. It's all hate or nothing.

18. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Duly noted.
    I guess he must have missed the thread I started after the Holiday Bowl that was titled Clay Helton is a Den Mother who is sucking all the joy out of being a Trojan Football fan?

And I’m not ticked at all. This shyte is fun to me, that’s all.
    I love clownin’’ some of these fools.
    I may change my name to Jadaveon Clownin’

Nah, that wouldn’t generate the level of jealousy, envy and hatred seeing BlemBlam does for a small handful of wastrels up in here.

Scotty, I’m not talking about you. I looooove you, ha ha.

19. zitorocks

zitorocks Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    I agree...the majority of those items pointed out are not lies, they are opinions. I also cannot say that someone lied if they say they had four silent commits --- and two of them ended up changing their minds. That doesn't mean that at the time they were not silent commits to USC.

Same goes for whatever Helton said about his coaches. What HC goes in front of the media and says - "you know, Tee Martin is a crappy OC, but we are letting him learn right now." Or, "Baxter was one of the top ST coaches in all of football, but man he has really f'd things up here...he's lost his touch." No head coach...or any leader would do that...if they did, nobody would want to work for them ever, regardless of what happens on the field. You never ever sell out your subordinates in the media or in front of others. The rule of thumb is - I take credit for the bad and give credit to others for the good. That's what leaders do...it doesn't matter what reality is, because you discuss those things behind closed doors - not to the media.

20. BlemBlam

BlemBlam Junior Member

Feb 21, 2020
    I know, it’s crazy