Did Kiffin have anything to do with this?

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by 3XUSCDad, Aug 8, 2017.

2. AnnenbergGrad

AnnenbergGrad Junior Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Saban, but I'm sure Kiff didn't care either.

You're a piece of meat in the Alabama program, QBs included. If you start, you'll know when you're on the field. I don't think Saban feels the need to communicate any more than that.

3. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Aug 8, 2017
    If he was, then he still made the right choice. I mean being named the SEC Player of the Year is not bad.

4. SCinDE

SCinDE Junior Member

Aug 8, 2017
    This is on Saban. He's the head coach and he calls the shots.

Why are you dragging Kiffin into this? I'm no Kiffin fan, but the article is about Saban and Saban has a history of this well beyond Alabama. Does anyone believe Kiffin had any say about anything at Bama?

As for the substance, we have seen this over, and over again. Players are meat in the SEC; scholarships are cut or are not honored; players are over signing, etc. I remain shocked at how many parents let their kids go there without thought of consequences.

If the NCAA actually did it's job, they would guarantee 4 year scholarships, and curtail some of this. Sadly, they don't care.

5. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Aug 8, 2017
    This is the result of privelage

BB probably hasn't had to compete for a spot for a long time in his short life.

Newsflash when you go to Alabama you are going to compete against other top guys.

When one guys shines at QB you don't rotate them to give others a fair chance. That's not how it works.

BB is better served learning that now or he will have a very short football career

6. GLYCERINE

GLYCERINE Junior Member

Aug 8, 2017
    This is true at any top program

7. big daddy

big daddy Junior Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Not so fast my friends...

The article says that Barnett started in the first game against the Trojans, stayed with the Alabama program for four games before transferring, and won his appeal with the NCAA to be eligible to play the very next year with AZ St.? Unless a player is a grad transfer how does that happen? Is there an SEC clause stating that since their conference is so much stronger that transferring to another team from a Power 5 conference is similar to someone else transferring to a JC so they can be eligible to play right away? Does this give the SEC a recruiting advantage; players knowing they can transfer and play immediately in another D1 program?

8. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Aug 8, 2017
    That's what it seems like to me too big daddy. I think a believable explanation - if there is one - is in order.

9. TommyT

TommyT Junior Member

Aug 8, 2017
    To understand how saben treats his players read meat on the hoof by gary shaw

10. DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic Junior Member

Aug 8, 2017
    As the OC, I'm sure Kiffen was involved in some way. Kiffen can never seem to settle on a starting QB until the season is actually underway, which cannot be good for the QB's or the team as a whole. That being said, apparently there is a communication problem between Saban and his players.

11. george the tirebiter

george the tirebiter Junior Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Saban let the world thinkHurt was the #3 qb, as he played up he was unsure who would start. After the game he admitted Hurt was coming in early, regardless of who started. He tried to game it, having USC game plan for everybody but Hurt. Saban took all the credit post game.

12. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Aug 9, 2017
    They were talking about this on ESPN Radio today.
    The problem is, when you go to a program like Alabama, NOTHING they tell you is what it is by the time you arrive on campus, things change.
    Barnett and Bateman WERE the ones that supposed to be competing for the job, BUT by the time the USC game rolled around, one got yanked, Saban/Kiffin didn't want to try the other, so they went in another direction (Hurts) which ended up being better than the other two options they had going into the season.

The problem with going to THE school, is the pitch they give you when they recruit you will change VERY quickly.
    I don't respect how Saban went about blasting him though.
    You over-recruit any position at anytime, but you get mad when one of your players want to transfer?

13. CCtrojanfan

CCtrojanfan Junior Member

Aug 9, 2017
    All 3 Ellabami QB's were unknowns coming into the season, as were SC's. Once someone plays as well as Hurts did, it's done. He's got the job. Until he proves he isn't the one, why would a coaching staff try something else when they found their starter? Similar to SC's situation. Kiffin and Saban would have had some kinda idea what and who they wanted to see. You make your decision based on what's happening.

14. gotrojans1

gotrojans1 Junior Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Didn't we start Browne so he couldn't transfer and we had a solid back up? QB recruiting and how you operate is different, they couldn't move the ball abd hurts could. We realised later then Saban and bama, I call this good coaching but unfortunately it hurts kids feelings, maybe Barnett wasn't as good as He thought he was?

15. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I think this a sign that the reign of Alabama is coming to a close...