Defensively Speaking: Texas review (from Kevin Bruce)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Sep 17, 2017.

1. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Watched a little ND and in my (rookie) opinion they are average at this point in the season. BC was giving them fits until they got gassed and started making mistakes.

I have not watched UDub but they are probably pretty solid so far.

2. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Sep 17, 2017
    That was his best game so far this season by far. He also played thru pain with his knee which I always respect that aspect of . His coverage on Collin (6' 6" guy) was pretty good and tight but there was a physical mis-match; as was one-on-one coverage by Biggie. We didn't have an answer except double coverage which isn't what CP likes to call.

DJ4SC likes this.
  3. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Kevin,

I would like to get your perspective from the other side of the ball.

The USC offensive line seemed overwhelmed by the huge physical Texas DL all night long.

Is this something that can be improved upon going forward?

Can the OL develop to the point where they will learn to move the ball against these stout defenses, or will they always struggle against these teams due to a lack of size, strength and physicality?

In other words, is it more a case of " They are who they are", or " They are not yet who they can and will be?"

4. Head4SC

Head4SC Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Love the reviews, Kevin. Thanks for your insight.

Just re-watched the game. In hindsight, I was even more impressed with our Defense (with the exception of our CBs who never seem to be able to transition from pressing at the line to good, inside leverage coverage). The interior of our OL looked overwhelmed all night by 94 and 95 (who was a force in the middle).

What was allowing the Texas interior DL to be so effective last night? Coach Helton mentioned that the OL didn't handle Texas' "movement" well, but it seemed like other than a few blitzes and overloaded pass rushes, there weren't an excessive amount of stunts and twists up front. What's your take and how can they account for it in the future?

5. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Jack jack is who he is...and the coaches know exactly who he is and how he performs. The bigger question is why was their only offensive weapon covered by one DB?

Gold Trojan likes this.
  6. listen2menow&hearmelater

listen2menow&hearmelater Junior Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Sam ran a jumbo package from under center in high school. They didn't have enough physical linemen, so they'd bring in stud linebackers to augment line. Can't remember it not working for him then.

7. Georgetirebiter IV

Georgetirebiter IV Points Member

Sep 18, 2017
    He went under center to clock the ball in the last drive of regulation time. I always say down, but Helton and Sam both said clock, although Sam did also add down.

But if he did it then, he should be able to anytime, although guy's may not play that snap hard, knowing what is going to happen, so maybe the center gets a pass on getting hit.

8. dbergusc

dbergusc Junior Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Great review as always Kevin, I didn't get to watch the game live and after hearing some of the comments I was happy when I watched the game to see it didn't seem as bad as some indicated. The D was excellent for most part and only stumbled on covering the tall and strong receiver, or tripped and let the one touch down go unchallenged. The O left points on the field.

Our pass rush was there to the end but Ehlinger was creating opportunities while scrambling which is additional pressure on man coverage to sustain. The pass rush slowed down as our D got tired but they were making him move but unfortunately losing contain or not taking down when they had him. A lot like our own Sam does to defenses.

What do you think about the Texas defensive plan against our offense? They were playing great and seemed to be crashing down the line every time RJ was in to run the ball, with great LB play by Malik Jefferson who was unstoppable slicing through to stop the run. Do you see other teams being able to duplicate that to shut down our run game? Can our OL change their blocking scheme to adjust to that or was it a unique skill set by their LB? We ran well against Stanford and I think they are more stout (even with their other issues on O) than most other defenses we'll see.

9. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Sep 18, 2017
    Oh he practiced it just not a lot because guys get hurt. He new what Sam could do.

10. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Sep 18, 2017
    We I would say 1) Texas brought everything they had on defense and it was impressive but not surprising. They blitzed a lot and pressured most every play in some way. Their strong down linemen allowed for the ILB/MLB to flow to the ball unimpeded a lot. And his flow was fast and aggressive. A very impressive game. Our defensive scheme is different and we use DL and LBs (plus safeties too) to make run plays. Texas's defensive gameplan reflected their disciplined gap scheme with big strong DL occupying the O-line a letting the LBs run unblocked to the ball carrier. That the theory anyway and I'm accustomed to that style of play. Regardless when the DL blows up the o-line starting with the center we will have issues no matter who we play.

11. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Sep 18, 2017
    Betiku is slightly more ready. Connor shows great upside and length. Needs to get his pad level down which is tough for a tall man so then must use his hands more and get the big guys off him. There's one play when #78 buries Connor downfield about 6 yards. Bad film session review segment but if a learning moment all good.

12. Tommytrojan1974

Tommytrojan1974 Banned

Sep 18, 2017
    I have been unimpressed with both CB's. Jack Jones can forget about his Heisman. For all the talking I see him doing on the field he does not back it up. He has gotten beaten several times, misses tackles, and some penalties. Marshall has not been much better. We are feeling the affects of no Adoree, as a CB and special teams player.

eliminator207 likes this.
  13. BESCFAN

BESCFAN Junior Member

Sep 18, 2017
    A truly needless, classless and juvenile response to a member simply sharing their opinion. What are you, twelve?

eliminator207 and DavidC like this.
  14. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Sep 18, 2017

I shared my opinion aswell. In the form of calling out a dumb opinion and it was, almost clueless when you get down to the meat and potatoes of it. The real question here is, did i hurt your feelings? you aren't the poster in question. Also when did this place have "class"? wake up and smell the coffee.

It's clear he didn't watch the same game as everyone else, let alone the same defense.

15. Arhedge

Arhedge Junior Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I understand the criticism of the corners, but those guys are better than you think. They're playing the second-toughest position on the field, and that's why, these days, every team's secondary gets burned. The receivers are so big and so athletic, and the passing games are so sophisticated, that it's just going to happen. Adoree got beat too. And in the games when Bama's pass rush is negated -- usually by a QB who can run around and avoid the rush -- their corners get burned too.

USC92 and DJ4SC like this.
  16. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 18, 2017
    Let me see any of the posters here. Take on a 6'6 monster and see if they'll run their mouths.

DJ4SC likes this.
  17. DJ4SC

DJ4SC Junior Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Heisman? JJ is only a sophomore. Lower your expectations a little. He's farther ahead of where Adore was at this time.

Marshall played hurt but I'd still take him over anyone else we have right now.

USC92 and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  18. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Sep 18, 2017
    The problem with Jack Jones is he's still playing with an adolescent "notice me" mentality. He needs to eliminate the trash talking and the rest of the nonsense and just be known for being a good football player.

He comes out in the Stanford game wearing a white hoodie under his uniform. What the hell? After about 10 minutes, someone had taken a scissors and cut the hood off. He must have gone to great lengths to get dressed and hide that from the coaches until he was out on the field. He would have had to cut the sleeves off and tuck the hood into his jersey to hide it, only to pull it out right before they ran out of the tunnel. Hey everyone -- look at me, I've got a white sweatshirt hood sticking out of the back of my jersey. A'int that somethin'? Some coach saw that and said, "Uh, no. Idiot. Lose that NOW".) OK Jack --- you're so cool and so street . . . look at you, wearing a hoodie under your jersey when it's 95 degrees outside. How about this: just wear the normal uniform like every other player and stop trying to draw attention to yourself? Focus your attention on the game, not on stupid antics like this.

Stop trash talking. You're really not very good yet.

Stop flopping to the ground like you are so hurt ("MEDIC! I'm hit!") only to pop back up and be back in the game 2 plays later. What are you? An Italian soccer player? Even our Wide Receivers don't pull that crap and EVERYONE knows that WR's are the most narcissistic humans in the football universe.

The whole Heisman campaign nonsense was never clever, and now just points to your neediness. If he says the H word one more time, the coaching staff should ban him from talking to the media for the rest of the season. I'm serious.

The game Jackie: focus.

Leave the needy pleas for attention to Scott Wolf and GomerMarc. Cut the bullshit and just go out there and play football.

eliminator207 likes this.
  19. TrojanFireHorse12

Sep 18, 2017
    It's like some watched a different game then me. Did Texa's offense or colin himself score a TD in regulation? or i'm i confused?

Hey his mouth got a flag against Texas called. So there's good and bad with it.

USC92 likes this.
  20. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Sep 18, 2017
    Adoree made the defense better. In CP's scheme there is maximum pressure on the CBs. Just the way it's designed. No gold medals for corner back play this year so far. However some int's have been made and a number of good plays but the isolations and mis-matches show up magnified on the field. That's why CB's are so highly compensated in the NFL.