Defensively Speaking: Pac-12 Championship game (from Kevin Bruce)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Dec 20, 2020.

2. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 20, 2020
    "But I promised Garry P. that I would never quit on this site and you, the incredible followers of WeAreSC.com."

Thank you, KB. In these challenging times for USC football, all we've got is our community. I know I appreciate my unseen colleagues here.

3. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    There are so few Trojans legends that still care about USC football.
    When Mike Garrett left everything started getting worse and worse.
    And the alumni and fans are suffering more and more
    When will management see or even acknowledge this?

dbw021 and gubo&palanka like this.
  4. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    No argument here with your write up

5. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I thought USC mismanaged Devon Kennard but the Drake Jackson situation takes it to a new level. I knew Devon would have a long productive NFL career and so will Jackson. Putting him out into space is a waste of his ability. He should be moving forward not backpedaling..

6. USCDDS

USCDDS Points Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I mean...I’ve yet to read an article by Arledge or Bruce or any of the regular contributors on the site that has ANYTHING good to say about Helton. And yet, in spite of the loud voices from our frustrated fans/alumni/ex-players and even USC insider analysts, there are crickets coming from Heritage Hall. Bohn and Folt are silent. What’s the point of supporting a program that is being held captive by power brokers who don’t care our program has fallen into mediocrity?!

7. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Thank you Kevin for your time. Glad you point out waste having Drake going backwards & not attacking.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  8. USC1

USC1 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    KB thank you for dedication and loyalty to Garry and the faithful who love this site the team, history and players of USC. This (Helton shit storm era) will pass and hopefully sooner than later. I love reading your insight to the defense it brings my eyewitness to life. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

gubo&palanka and Hockey10 like this.
  9. metrobank

metrobank Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Coaching staff under Helton mismanages a lot of talent. IE entering the transfer portal is yet another example. We need to go to a 4-3 defense with bulk up the middle to stop the run. They finally brought Pili in during the later part of the game. Jay Tufele would have been a big help this season but of course he opted out. Getting rid of dough boy Helton is a good start. He mismanages the clock, timeouts, personnel and just motors up and down the side line accomplishing what?

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    We all share your frustrations KB. Will we ever see McKay/Carroll type elite SC football again?

I thought the defense played OK. If someone told me Oregon will have only 243 yards of offense I would have assumed we will win big. Our offensive staff’s inability to create any kind of a rushing attack is inexcusable.

Block and gubo&palanka like this.
  11. AMLTrojan

AMLTrojan Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    I don't get the frustration with Drake Jackson's numbers. One, he went against the best offensive line in the conference Friday night. Two, despite that, we harassed the backfield quite a bit and limited them to 250 yards of offense. There's nothing to talk about on that side of the ball except for the special teams penalties that killed us.

12. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Thank you for everything KB. I always, always love your contributions. As for tonight, I get it. Not much to say. I echo. Fight on.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  13. Conquestluvr

Conquestluvr Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Mr. Kevin.
    I share the sentiments of everyone else here regarding your contributions to this board. I am willing to bet that most of us immediately go straight to your thread when it appears.
    How do you think this team could perform with an average coach? Would the improvement be dramatic?
    I would estimate that win or lose, USC has played an uglier game than their opponents about 80% of the time under Helton. Helton is lucky his record is deceptively above average.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  14. crank31

crank31 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Thanks KB. Nice to see a USC die hard even keeled enough to sit down and watch Hallmark Disney Christmas movies on game day. Let’s not let USC dismal culture bring ourselves down.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    Here’s an interesting thought, while I didn’t like Wilcox as DC, as head coach we are undeafeated IMHO.

16. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    Hi Gubo! Hey, we will just Fight On. What is the choice. It’s in our DNA too.

AZUSCfan and CrownoftheValley like this.
  17. FIGHTONSC

FIGHTONSC Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    Thanks KB for telling it like it is, even though there are still a few on this board that are unwilling to accept the truth about Clay Helton and the “participation trophy” culture he’s brought to this once proud program

Kudos and Fight On!

18. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    It think they see something but refuse to acknowledge the damage to Brand USC. As for us, we still Fight on!
    Hi 88: None of us know but formers, including JR know this is an unmitigated disaster. We Fight on, but will the University??

usc88 likes this.
  19. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Defensively speaking, the box score shows that we held them to 243 yards of offense. Feels like they scored about what was expected given both teams history this year.

Stupid penalties, turnovers, dropped passes, less than desirable OL play contributed to suppress our offensive production...and Bob's Your Uncle.