Defensively Speaking: Notre Dame 2018 (from Kevin Bruce)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Nov 25, 2018.

2. biglouie

biglouie Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    We seem to allow offenses to load up on side without adjusting

3. SC in DE

SC in DE Points Member

Nov 25, 2018
    As always THANK YOU SO MUCH for your input.

Quick question: Would you retain Clancy as DC in light of our personnel?

What coaches, if any, would you retain?

Thanks in advance.

jjg4sc likes this.
  4. desertfoxx

desertfoxx Member

Nov 25, 2018
    KB
    looking forward to your Monday comments .
    Understood that you need an extra 24 hours to take the emotion out of your thoughts
    Something a lot of us should have done today

KiwiSCfan and Trojan Man 30 like this.
  5. Burak Uslu

Burak Uslu Points Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Kevin,

I see this a lot from USC. When we have a 3rd and long, we go into prevent and the USC prevent defence never seems to work.

Last night I saw a 3rd and long and the USC rushed 3 and everyone else dropped back. That helped ND to get to 4th and 2, which eventually they converted.

Can you explain the reasoning behind this? Why can't we just do what helped us get to 3rd and long?

Troy70 likes this.
  6. in2nation

in2nation Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Thank you once again, KB. Looking forward to reading you tomorrow.

... the only USC thing I am looking forward to right now.

7. priam7

priam7 Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Loading the box and creating pressure's,with run blitz's turning into a pass rush.That seems to be what teams have been doing to us. Taking away the run and forcing the passing game to beat them. I mentioned this to you once and you thought that misdirection could be an answer to that tactic......Well didn't they do just that and got big plays.....Having said that giving up 24 pts in this era is like just this side of a shutout in this "no defense" era....!

8. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    I was surprised how good Chase Williams was.

Good games by Cam, Biggie, EA, Iosefa.

Markese Stepp could be the second coming of Lendale White. Coaches were confident enough in him to let him carry on those 3rd and 1 situations (with our staff those are usually passing downs). We should have run the ball a lot more in the second half.

One of the stranger penalties I have ever seen was a receiver (Amon Ra) being called for illegal man down field which nullified a first down.

9. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Junior Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Thanks for the insight Kevin. Notre Dame has "averaged" just over 33 points a game so we held them to slightly less than that... but it was a road game for them. First half defense was really good and second half not so much - Is that more about the other team making better adjustments or about strength and conditioning or both?

On a positive note, I thought our offense moved the ball much more effectively than we have for most of the season...believe we were near season high for first downs and certainly for 3rd/4th down conversion percentage. It seemed we were much less dependent on "big plays" which is a good thing. But we still only scored 17 points ...which is definitely not a good thing. Need some change there,

10. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 26, 2018
    Yes on CP. No on secondary and DL position coaches...

11. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 26, 2018
    ND was not prepared for our first half intensity on defense and gap attacking. On O they figured us out out half time and went to a coverage look with safety toggling and some nickel. ND relied on DL to get push and Tranquill st safety. 17 points is misleading. We really only scored in the first half when it mattered. 2nd half score was really just window dressing.

Troy70 likes this.
  12. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 26, 2018
    Burak: Yeah, kind of an age old argument. Why change what's been working on 3rd and long. It's not a one size fits all answer. The best fit is 3rd and over 15 yards I like pressure on the QB but put at least one defender on the running back in case of the likely screen pass etc. As a linebacker, if the the O-line makes any move other thn pure pass block I check 1) draw 2) screen 3) crossing patterns from outside to middle zone 4) delayed TE pattern and 5) the dreaded, oops the QB is running the ball. As you tell there is a lot going on. Pressure makes the QB hurry which throws off timing just enough to get defenders reacting back to the ball. Mature, confident and skilled QBs make this really tough and the defense has to make some tough pre-snap decisions. If the DL flushes the QB out of the pocket then the primary mission was accomplished. Then its reaction and speed.

Troy70 likes this.
  13. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 26, 2018
    Priam: Yup, ND just has more arrows in the quiver than we do. They were ready with that serious misdirection gamble plays. They practice them so they can make them work. However if on DL or LB makes penettation the plays won't work well.

14. Ladera Trojan

Ladera Trojan Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Thanks for the write up KB.

The common theme all season long was that our offense would get off to fast starts, usually scoring 10-14 early on, and then completely fall apart from there on out. This leads me to believe that our coaching staff is good at breaking down film of opposing defenses and having a good game plan going into games, but lack the ability to adjust once the opposing defense adjusts to our game plan. Would you agree?

One of the best parts of the PC era was how we didn’t always get off to great starts defensively, but PC was the master of halftime adjustments and shutting teams down in the 2nd half. The post-PC era has been the complete opposite. If teams can keep it close by halftime, they have a GREAT chance at beating us. Again, this leads me to believe our coaching staff lacks the ability to adjust on the fly.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  15. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 26, 2018

16. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 26, 2018
    Cyrus: I agree on all you said. The penalty was ticky-tacky. Amon-Ra was considered covered up so when he released downfield he was ineligible. Rarely gets called if the reciever isn't lined up clearly on the LOS and someone to his outside and inside on the LOS

Rodgarnay51 and Cyrus like this.
  17. SC200SC

SC200SC Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    1) Are you available? (Seriously)
    2) I thought it was a good to very good effort. Perhaps a foundation to build on for 2019.
    3) Yes, the PI was bogus and there were 2 face masks by ND (on non ball carriers) along with several blatant holds NOT called. Seemed like the SC bench got into the Refs' ears as the 4th quarter looked clean. (And sure enough that was when SC scored again).
    4) Kevin, your write ups are educational for me, and I played DE! Thanks for taking the time.

18. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Who gets credit for Chase Williams,17

19. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    You make a critical point about the defense starting off well and fading in the second
    half.
    Hasn't this been the story of the team for the season?
    USC takes a lead in the first half.
    But doesn't adjust well as the other team.
    The other team pulls out a victory.
    What is it that made USC such a LOUSY second half team?
    If the coaches can figure it out it would have been a better season.

Rodgarnay51 and gubo&palanka like this.
  20. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Nov 26, 2018
    The 2 big ND plays were pretty basic mis-direction/ counter plays to the RB. The play you didn't highlight was the wheel route TD in the 2nd half.

In both cases, the OLB ran straight to the QB and ignored the RB completely. It was Iosefa on the 1st play (the long TD run in the Ist half and Abdul Malik McClain (a freshman sub seeing his 1st real action I think) on the wheel route TD.

My guess is that we would have been vulnerable to some QB read option keeps as well, but for some reason ND didn't do that.

We don't see this stuff from our O so our DEs/ OLBs don't get much experience in practicing disciplined edge protection and accounting for RBs in space - which is dangerous because our DBs are on an island and our safeties are often blitzing or locked up with a TE or receiver themselves. Even Porter got burned some earlier in the season but clearly we missed the pressure and speed and experience that Nwosu and Gustin provided last yr and earlier this yr.

Of course, these type of plays work because they stress and fool defenses and no players/ defenses are perfect .. Which begs the question as to why USC refuses to do this stuff.

Our refusal to ever fool anyone in the run or pass game is why I hate Helton as OC. We never run counters, or find ways to get the in space such as isolating the RBs on LBs in the passing game. At most the RBs are last second release options with their backs turned to defenders and looking back to the QB making it near impossible for them to gather themselves and turn upfield and make a move or get up to speed before a defender has time to recover.

Getting the ball to the RBs in-space and 1 on 1 with a defender is advantage RB but we don't/ won't do it .. despite doing it with Buck Allen in 2013 -14 when Clay was the OC . Head scratching for sure .. and an example IMO of Clay regressing as an O schemer!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    gubo&palanka likes this.