Defensively Speaking: Colorado (from Kevin Bruce)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Oct 27, 2019.

2. LoyalTrojan

LoyalTrojan Junior Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Hopefully some of the injured are healthy enough to play next week. Need the depth....

3. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Good write up. I felt it was a fair assessment.
    And you’re right, Thursday and Friday games should be gotten rid, especially if you’re the visiting team and it’s second bye is at the very end.

4. gubo&palanka

gubo&palanka Points Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 27, 2019
    Amazing how wow wide open those crossing patterns were.

It appeared that we even identified whom the ball was going to, posting at the guy before the snap.

Then didn't account for him.

DJ4SC likes this.
  5. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Oct 27, 2019
    KB - you're a truth teller per normal. I've been banging the drum for more Tremblay for awhile .. mainly because he's pretty quick for a D linemen and he's a very high effort kid and that helps makes up for a lot of sins. Tufele and Marlon are also high effort kids and combined with their physical skills I continue to be amazed that we don't get more from our front 4. Rector's been a weak link - mainly because they insisted on playing him with a bum ankle, but still. I think Echols is decent as a pass rusher .. just needs t work on run contain. We definitely miss Drake as he's got effort plus speed and athleticism that's special .. even if he sometimes gets suckered initially he has enough speed to catch up. But yeah .. with the talent we have in the front 4 we ought to be getting more results!

I think we need a more stout ILB run stopper and frankly Houston would IMO be a better outside contain guy that could run guys down going wide and occasionally blitz or drop into coverage. Mauga gives effort but didn't duplicate his performance vs. AZ. Our blockers have a habit of almost 'seeking' engagement with blockers and then not being able to disengage and make the tackles, but good linebackers slip those blocks in the first place and knife in to make tackles. That was something that the slenderish Sua Cravens did so well. Hell, I know our linemen are poor at getting engagement at the 2nd level so perhaps our ILBs aren't getting sufficient practice against decent 2nd level OL line play in practice. Of course, the fact that we seem to eschew as a matter of principle the very concept of full speed/ full contact scrimmaging in practices leading up games makes things difficult for everyone!

We fought hard .. I'll give our team that, but man we were damn lucky to pull that one out. Slovis had 3 sure turnovers go his way .. 2 on the last defining TD drive .. to which I'll give the freshman Kenan Christian some credit for his heads up play in recovering Slovis' fumble and knocking away the otherwise sure INT on that bonehead forward pitch play by Slovis.

I continue to hit my head against the wall as to why Slovis and the coaches aren't working on getting the ball to Christon and/or the other backs on the outlet passes .. which seem to always be open if they stay into block initially and then release .. Slovis just refuses to look there and you've got the state sprint champ alone in the flat with maybe one defender to beat. And don't get me started on how it's possible that we continue to be the worst SCREEN team in Div 1 football .. hell worse than most HS teams. Our lack of execution and timing is literally horrendous. Anyone watching the Wazzu-Oregon game last night can see how effective properly executed and timed WR/ RB slip screens and swing passes to RBs can be. Will we ever throw one where the RB or WR is actually moving downfield when they catch it? you know .. like EVERY OTHER TEAM executes these seemingly simple passes .. Of course it takes TIMING and PRACTICE and we seem to do NEITHER!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Troy70 and Hockey10 like this.
  6. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Wow! That went from partially positive to what I remember as an Arhedge special.

7. Georgetirebiter IV

Georgetirebiter IV Points Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Using our 2nd string qb, fourth string RB, and missing by far our two best defensive players, Jackson and #15, plus a handful of other defensive starters, we are lucky to win. Throw in Friday night in the road for more bad news.

Oregon looks beatable. Saturday we will find out if the Trojans can do it.

8. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 27, 2019
    Kandi: Arledge calls it straight
    GTB: We will find out. Oregon has looked good to me and a great defense. Offense very efficient with play makers.

9. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 27, 2019
    Loyal: We need Drake back but I doubt he will be ready.

10. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 27, 2019
    Big time lucky but fumbles are available to whoever gets there first. Slovis is a fumble machine. Tough young man but his durability is a question.

11. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 27, 2019
    Fire; no not a good day and Colorado imposed their will on our defense for 3+ quarters. Yikes!

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  12. SouthbayTrojan91

SouthbayTrojan91 Junior Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Linebackers don't scare anyone and are barely able to slow down the run game.

Any good running team, heck a mediocre run team, probably gets pretty excited looking at tape.

AZUSCfan and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  13. Sam Bam

Sam Bam Junior Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Watched the Oregon game last night - they did not look great on defense. Gordon had time to throw for WSU. They also got attacked successfully with passes to the RB out of the backfield. As someone pointed out above we don't do that enough.

14. KANDI11

KANDI11 Junior Member

Oct 27, 2019
    My issue is that he complains about Helton daily, even when the original post is not about anything related to coaching he’s taking shots at CCH. Sorry Kevin but the s#%t gets old.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  15. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Oct 27, 2019
    how about barely at all

16. KeenObserver

KeenObserver Junior Member

Oct 27, 2019
    It will all be over when we finally fire Helton

DJ4SC likes this.
  17. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Because the signs are on the wall

18. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Week day games is another example of the pac 12 becoming 2nd tier conference.