Defensively Speaking: Arizona review (from Kevin Bruce)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by GarryP, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Nov 6, 2017
    There was a clear mix-up on that play. We had 3 guys blocking the middle rusher and Chuma left alone on his guy. I think Chuma expected Vorhees to be double teaming his man. That makes sense because then we would have had two blockers on each rusher. I'm leaning toward thinking Vorhees made the mistake.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  2. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Nov 6, 2017
    The refs were calling horrible, ticky-tacky holding penalties on us. At least one on Chuma, and the call against Krommenhoek was ridiculous, and essentially a 40-yard penalty, negating a nice return.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  3. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 6, 2017
    Yeah, I saw the supposed holding by Krommenhoek and really ticky-tacky. Makes Mitchell's screening block last week against ASU even more important. They would have called that penalty if he threw at the defender. Smart senior play.

CrownoftheValley and Troy70 like this.
  4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Am I wrong or did Clayton Johnston play most of the last part of the game?

5. Rodgarnay51

Nov 6, 2017
    It seems to me that SC went away from packing the box and having Tell spy Tate in the second half. Kevin, what is your take on that? These seemed to be big factors in Tate getting time to operate. (If you've responded to this question, I apologize. I haven't seen it. Thanks.)

6. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Hopefully, someone who pays more attention to who is in/out can answer that question. I saw him in there, but don't know for how many plays, or who he was replacing. Saw in Garry's tidbit thread that Toa is day-to-day with a knee issue.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 6, 2017
    No, he played a lot. Chuma and penalties and assignment confusion are reducing his effectiveness.

8. Rodgarnay51

Nov 6, 2017
    The Pac-12 football in 60 minutes is on tonight at 7:00. It will be nice to rewatch the game without all the ref delays.

9. Rodgarnay51

Nov 6, 2017
    Chuma's ability to concentrate reminds me of my own. Not real good.

10. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Nov 6, 2017
    I actually watched it again last night (DVR), but I just don't notice substitutions as often as I should. For instance, I didn't notice during the game that McGrath had been replaced on kick-offs. Read that on here yesterday when a more observant poster pointed it out. I just thought he was finally told to kick it deep. Doh.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  11. Rodgarnay51

Nov 6, 2017
    That's funny Jim. Even I noticed that the kicker was left-footed, and that the kicks were traveling about 10 yards farther than before.

12. SColdtimer

SColdtimer Junior Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Kevin, Thanks so much for your insights about football. So much of what you share and your wisdom can be applied to our lives as well. My old coach used to say, "When you are through learning, you are through." I think you can say the same for teaching as well.

When learning and teaching is taking place in preparation, practice and as the team plays, you see that team growing up and growing together. I think that's why McKay's teams and Carroll's teams played so well in November.

A team like Arizona can wear you down, but so can self inflicted or selfish mistakes.

It's difficult watching USC give up 4 straight drives for TDs. I sat on the 50 yard line at the Rose Bowl watching Penn St score what seemed like 7 straight TDs. It just seems impossible that a USC defense could fold up like a chair, and yet they still won the Rose Bowl and Saturday night.

Sam Darnold is a big part of the reason why. If I've ever seen a leader on the football field who can pick himself up and get back going again, he is that leader. He does things that are just remarkable.

CrownoftheValley and Rex N Effex like this.
  13. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Yes yes and yes. No rule against mixing in huddle and no huddle. Tempo and deliberate. One back and 2 back sets. Under center and shotgun... and God forbid mix in a few QB runs on the read option to keep the front side edge rusher honest, some counters, throwbacks and mis-direction to keep the backside edge guys honest, and a quick hitting run option and a lead blocker on short yardage situations.

We are way too predictable on offense and depend way too much on Sam being Sam and simply prevailing by reason of superior overall talent .. A better, more diverse and less predictable offensive scheme would make life much easier

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Troy70 likes this.
  14. rose green

rose green Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Tee Martin does not mix it up enough; too many off tackle runs with R. Jones in the 3rd quarter. Tee lacks that quality of variety. What happened to #7 S. Carr? Are we afraid to use the swing pass out of the backfield because one time it resulted in a fumble [several games ago]. Why are we not using this play with Carr; it was very effective before. Is Carr reinjured? He was sitting on the bench next to Jones, fully suited.

15. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 7, 2017
    Carr fumbled on his second carry (as I recall) and quickly recovered his own fumble. He sat after that. Maybe not quite ready for game speed. Dunno...

16. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Nov 7, 2017
    Rose: I sense there is a "committee" dynamic at times upstairs with Tyson Helton and Tee. We have no such confusion on defense. It's Clancy...period.

Troy70 likes this.
  17. SoCalN8tiv

SoCalN8tiv Junior Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Yes, that's exactly what happened. Unless your name is Darnold, Deontay, or RoJo, you're most likely going to get sat down if being loose with the football.

18. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Carr came back in on the next series for a 4th and 1 run (the announcers and probably pretty much everyone else were scratching their heads over that) and then the following first down run for 6 yards. But that was it. He may not have been ready, and Rojo and Ced were carrying the rock just fine. It was good to see Ced get carries. Not such a bad idea to play it safe with Carr so he'll be fully healed and fresh for the last 3 Pac 12 games.

19. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Nov 7, 2017
    I just have to say that the third quarter ref-fest could not have helped the team maintain any tempo whatsoever. That clock could not be managed.

20. TrojanWarMachine

TrojanWarMachine Junior Member

Nov 7, 2017
    I told my wife after that happened that I'd personally blame those two if we did not win the game. I know they are just kids, but if I were CCH, I would have them doing up-downs after practice to reinforce the idea of being more of a team player. They're selfishness almost screwed their teammates out of a win, and if Tate doesn't fumble a few plays later, who knows. On another note, the refs are as bad as I've seen since the "glasses ref" days, that guy sure liked hearing himself over the PA and getting on TV.