Defensively Speaking: Arizona (from Kevin Bruce)

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Oct 20, 2019.

2. biglouie

biglouie Junior Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Thank you Kevin.

3. billsb1970

billsb1970 Junior Member

Oct 20, 2019
    KB: nice summary on the defense. I too was very frustrated with the offense in the 1st Qrt. Four consecutive 4 and outs with our great skilled players is absurd. It look like the AZ defense had Harrell's play sheet. I was really exciting when Harrell was hired but it's obvious now that he's very green and inexperienced as an OC. He clearly is not very innovated with the offense and schemes. We are very fortunate to have the receivers we have or this offense would be toast.

4. TroyBoy

TroyBoy Junior Member

Oct 20, 2019
    KB - great summary per normal. Really enjoy reading your take on things.

I agree that Mauga's fine play last night makes the decision re EA a hard one. As for moving him outside, I'll just note that I thought Echols had his best game and we got contributions from Falaniko and AM McClain - who was unfortunately injured so we'll see re him. I'm thinking Clancy will end up platooning Mauga and EA- guess we'll see.

The biggest losses were Hufanga & Drake. My guess is that Talanoa is done for the season. I'm hoping the news re Drake is better. Munir McClain likely suffered another ACL .. Hope I'm wrong.

I think Carr & Stepp will be back soon if not pressed into action before they are healed (a la Rector). Gotta hope Christon Kenon (what a revelation) will remain a part of the O unless injured, but with this coaching crew I never know if common sense prevails.

Rodgarnay51, TommyT, OC2SC and 3 others like this.
  5. BarNone

BarNone Junior Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Great write up as always. Thank you.
    For some reason seeing a kicker really put his nose into a tackle always gets me jacked and it happened twice!

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  6. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Thank you very your time. Did wildcats line play into our speed packages?

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  7. Cyrus

Cyrus Junior Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Players like Stepp, Christon and Mauga should have got more playing time earlier. But with this coaching staff this doesn't happen unless injuries force their hand. I wonder what other diamonds in the rough are still sitting on the bench.

As to the offense the first few games of the year the first drive always led to a TD. It was so successful that we now always ask for the ball when winning the coin toss. But it's not working any more. That first drive is supposed to be scripted. Time to change the script.

The DB coach is a keeper. The new freshmen CBs were ready to play. As to Harrell, I like him as QB coach but the jury is still out on him as OC.

If we ever start practicing full speed with tackling again, then we probably get more injuries during practice but less injuries during the games.

8. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 20, 2019
    Kevin relax on "some" of the penalties. Do you remember the Orange Bowl when I think it was LenDale got flagged for celebrating in the end zone? do you remember the coaching staff getting in his face and telling him off? Do you also remember they were "doing their job" to chastise LenDale de rigor and at the same time almost breaking up with laughter?
    Watch the KC penalty again. Look at the coaches laughing at him while they "put him in his place".
    Separate penalties. That one does not count IMO.

Now my real question: how difficult is it going to be for the next opponent to game for KC? Keep the safety fudged to his side so as to get a better angle? How would you prepare for KC?

He is not Bush and that shit has to stop. If he cannot juke a safety at the sideline by stopping, moving the ball behind his back and taking of in the other direction, then the only thing he has to hurt an opponent is speed. So how do you defend that outside speed?

Just doing my part to edify.

TrojanFireHorse12 and jjg4sc like this.
  9. Troy70

Troy70 Junior Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Lol, Reggie was lucky showboating . KC is faster than #5

10. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Nice write up, Kevin. I completely agree with you about the stupid "excessive" penalties. This year Helton, supposedly, took ownership of penalties. Yet, the team continues with unnecessary penalties that could eventually cost them a ball game.

As for offense running bootleg with play action, I think that has been missing from this offense.

11. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Oct 20, 2019
    None of that has anything to to do with the most insipid thinking that Reggie Bush won the Heisman because he was fast.
    You can think a little bit before you post?
    It is not up to a vote to determine that speed is all you need.

12. jjg4sc

jjg4sc Junior Member

Oct 20, 2019
    That first 3rd and 1 was an obvious Stepp play and we blew it. I was excited for the d and they were too - penalties were stupid and hopefully are a one time deal in a lot of cases.

I don’t know if any conditioning would help these injuries. A couple were just ankles and knees getting tackled at horrible ankles. Helmets on wrists. Cuts that break the opponents ankles...and yours. I can’t believe Clancy did so well with these kids. Gotta give him some props. Hopefully he’s continuing to learn and improve. Beat the Buffs.

13. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 21, 2019
    Troy: Yes, and U of A's O-line was really poor Saturday. Helped us a lot and sometimes its difficult to distinguish between what we did vs. what they failed at.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  14. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 21, 2019
    Good point about the lack of innovativeness. This offense is a hammer in search of a nail. Take what the defense gives is not a strategy.

15. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 21, 2019
    Troy, Christon on the bench isn't a mystery but a decision that I question. Redshirt is fine but we need his speed on the field. In the backfield or in motion he is an immediate mismatch. For that matter, Velus Jones should get some slot time too not just limited WR.

Troy70 and TrojanFireHorse12 like this.
  16. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 21, 2019
    I have to agree with you...

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  17. kbruce9022

kbruce9022 Junior Member

Staff Member
    Oct 21, 2019
    Boselli" The penalties are avoidable but I get your point. With a win all is forgiven but these ticky-tack penalties can hurt us e.g. Fink's "spike" against UW hurt our field position.
    Now re: KC. I motion him thru the backfield and create a slot look and flood that zone. Let's see how teams like chasing him, a two-back set is interesting in the extreme. If yu're on defense, who is your key? Stepp or KC or any of our receivers including a TE. Defensively I think very little will be done to change for KC other than be mindful of him and react fast from ILB and the safety for our stretch zone play. I like KC on the inside zone too if we block it with Krommenhauk on an inside trap block.

Troy70 and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  18. Tunaslam

Tunaslam Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Got to be a lot more fun writing a positive report than many of the previous anticipated negative performances? Other than the injuries, a certain calamity!

Hope healthy bodies return and those rookies continue to learn and improve! Fine job.

jjg4sc and Rodgarnay51 like this.
  19. dbw021

dbw021 Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Man, what in the world has happen to Jones. A lot of big plans for him in fall camp and nothing as the season has gone a long. He seems like he is an unused weapon.

Rodgarnay51 likes this.
  20. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Oct 21, 2019

You can say that for a lot of players on this team because if this was run by someone like Lincoln Reily from top to bottom, you'd see scores in the 50's with all the weapons this team has. They'd be nearly unstoppable, i mean it's like Kevin said; if this coaching staff wasn't so busy waiting for the defense to stop them and instead were more active in beating opponents' defense due to superior game-planning and execution. And not just talent, the season would be much different.

ugh

i can't wait until Clay is gone

Troy70 likes this.