Dave Salo Announces 2020 Will Be His Last Season As USC Men's And Women's Swim Coach

Discussion in 'Other USC Sports' started by ErikMcKinney, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Dave Salo Announces 2020 Will Be His Last Season As USC Men's And Women's Swim Coach
    ErikMcKinney

ErikMcKinney Administrator

Staff Member
    Jan 16, 2020
    USC press release
    LOS ANGELES--Dave Salo, in his 14th year as the USC men’s and women’s swimming coach, announced today (Jan. 16) that this will be his last season coaching the Trojans.

Salo also said that when USC’s current season concludes at the end of March he will continue to coach the various 2020 Olympic hopeful swimmers—both current Trojans and national and international competitors—who train under him at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center as they prepare for the Tokyo Games.

“After thoughtful consideration and discussion with several key people in my life, this 2019-2020 season as USC’s head coach will be my last,” said Salo. “Following the NCAA Championships I will remain at USC, turning my undivided attention to the preparation of my athletes for the Tokyo Olympic Games. Beyond the Games I will continue my work with the Novaquatics Swim Club and with opportunities that have been presented. I also plan to put in a lot more work on improving my fade-away jumper.

“I have spent one third of my life at USC, as a grad student, assistant men’s coach and now as head coach. I will always be proud of the time spent here with the many people that make USC special. I will always reserve a most special place in my heart for the student-athletes and my staff who I hope I have served well. Going forward, I am excited about the future for the USC swimming and diving program with some great talent joining the team in the next few years.”

Said athletic director Mike Bohn: “So many of our women’s and men’s student-athletes have thrived during Coach Salo’s tenure. USC has a long history of championship swimmers, many of whom trained under Dave. We wish him well and will be rooting for the outstanding Olympic swimmers he is training.”

Salo’s teams have posted eight Top 6 finishes at the NCAA meet (four each by the men and women). He has produced 89 women’s All-Americans and 76 on the men’s side, winning a combined 22 NCAA individual and six relay titles. His 2015 men’s team won the program’s first Pac-12 championship since 1979 and the 2016 women’s team won that program’s first-ever Pac-12 title as he was named the Pac-12 Coach of the Year.

Salo, a 2010 inductee into the American Swimming Coaches Association Hall of Fame, also has coached some of the world’s top swimmers through his Trojan Swim Club and has served as a top national coach, including as the head coach for the U.S. women at the 2013 and 2015 FINA World Championships and the U.S. men at the 2005 FINA Worlds and the 2019 Short Course World Championships. He also was a U.S. assistant at the 2000, 2004 and 2012 Olympics.

Among the standout USC swimmers he has coached since starting at USC in 2007 are Olympians Katinka Hosszu, Rebecca Soni, Ous Mellouli, Haley Anderson, Vladimir Morozov, Louise Hansson, Kasia Wilk, Larsen Jensen, Cristian Quintero, Santo Condorelli, Stina Gardell, Dmitri Colupaev and Clement Lefert.

Before coming to USC, he was the head coach of the Irvine Novaquatics from 1990 to 2006, where he coached such Olympic medalists as Lenny Krayzelburg, Aaron Peirsol, Amanda Beard and Jason Lezak in addition to Soni, Mellouli and Jensen. He was the 2002 U.S. Swimming Coach of the Year.

He was a USC assistant under Peter Daland for five seasons (1986-90).

Last year, Salo’s USC women were 10th at the NCAA Championships and the men placed 20th.

The 2020 women, currently ranked ninth nationally, are led by senior Swedish Olympian Hansson, the two-time defending NCAA 100-yard butterfly champion who also won the NCAA 200 fly in 2019. This year’s Trojan men’s squad, ranked No. 20, features sophomores Victor Johansson of Sweden, who was the 2019 Pac-12 champion in the 500-yard freestyle, and Alexei Sancov, an Olympian from Modova who recently set school records in the 200-yard butterfly and individual medley, along with senior Henry Fusaro, who won the 2018 Pac-12 3-meter diving title.

2. uscvball

uscvball Junior Member

Jan 16, 2020
    This...is....brutal.

Bohn has got to be busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

gubo&palanka likes this.