Daniels named starting quarterback

Discussion in 'GarryP's Trojan Huddle' started by ErikMcKinney, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Ojaitrojan

Ojaitrojan Points Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Were the passes all equal? Was Sears checking throwing it three yards out or downfield?

I wasn't at the scrimmages, so I don't know. However, I know that all passes are not equal, and a high completion percentage does not necessarily equate to a mastery of a passing offense.

2. Troken

Troken Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    RB this was the single most spot on post on this thread. I can't believe how many people just lost their minds over who was not named as the starter at QB. I just want the team to play to their ability level and compete at a high level and let the chips fall where they may.

3. Coopsc72

Coopsc72 Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    If I remember correctly, CCH said a depth chart will be released every Friday for every position. People freaking out and projecting 5 weeks down the road is hilarious.

4. FIGHTON!

FIGHTON! Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Fight On JT!!!!!!!

Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs! Fight ON!!!!!!!!!!!

SC ForLife likes this.
  5. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    I'm not saying Slovis isn't good or won't be good but being tutored by Kurt Warner doesn't guarantee success. Many kids hire great tutors and they just plain and simply are limited. Maybe this is the reason he was rated a 3*. If Warner for example tutored Daniels or Sears would there ceiling be much higher?

AlbertoC and PickSicx like this.
  6. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Q: What is the common denominator?
    A: Helton.
    Get rid of Helton and start solving all the problems.

Jay4usc, gubo&palanka and fssca51 like this.
  7. fssca51

fssca51 Junior Member

WeAreSc Member
    Aug 21, 2019
    Now we see that Helton is going with the Youth Movement again this season. That was what he did last season and what did it get him.... 5-7, that's what. You would have thought he would learn from last season. he may do well to finish 5-7 again this season. Who would have thought the USC football program would have come down to this. Two freshman at QB and two undistinguished coaches at the HC and OC controls. No wonder USC is not ranked in the preseason top 25 this year. An aside.... how did USC wind up with two little known coaches from Texas, one by way of Memphis State and the other by way of North Texas State. Did anything good ever come from those two backwater schools? How the mighty have fallen !

8. Hockey10

Hockey10 Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    I agree that the original post you quoted was exaggerated but in some cases a player who is expelled or has transferred do to lack of playing time behind 5* talent can start and play on another team. Exposure and experience is the best thing for their careers. Ex. in this case is Sears. Him being a former 4* stuck behind Daniels, he may excel in an Offense that uses a mobile QB. We ourselves filled a need on the OL this year with a transfer. Another school may be looking to replace their senior mobile QB. I personally don't feel players should just quit on their commitments and therefore I like that we have transfer rules. I also am not a fan of the portal but when all rules are followed sometimes you have to do what is best for your future. You go to college to make a career. If transfering to play has to be part of it and you follow the transfer rules so be it. You still have to except that you will have to compete when you get there.

Pudly76 and RB4SC like this.
  9. User1234

User1234 Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    i don't think JT was the most consistent throughout. In fact there was a lot to like about Sears and very good arguments both strategically and tactically to support naming Sears, and now he's basically ushered out the door.... JUST WOW.

gubo&palanka likes this.
  10. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Again, youre basing your whole argument on his recruiting ranking....

Its the coaches that are tasked to figure these things out, and it looks like they determined that Slovis is a better option than Fink and Sears.....

Id roll with OC Harrells decision....

Cant wait....

11. RB4SC

RB4SC Points Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Respectfully, PETE CARROLL came from the UNEMPLOYMENT line...just sayin'. And when he was hired CAUSED just as much commotion!

Fight On, FOREVER, Fight On!
    RB4SC

CP619, Kaptain Karl and earlandnic like this.
  12. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    That's one legitimate possibility. Another is, to quote another poster, "He is a friggen three star from some noplace High school in some noplace state." Players from noplace schools and noplace states often get overlooked, and therefore, underrated. Time will tell.

I too, was surprised by Slovis at 2 and Sears at 4. I thought maybe the coaches put Sears so low so that either (i) if he wants to transfer, it allows him to do so with most people saying they understand why instead of calling him a quitter, or (ii) they think Daniels will be more confident and play better if he doesn't think he has to look over his shoulder fearing he'll be pulled for Sears if he makes a mistake. Pure speculation on my part of course.

13. Boselli

Boselli Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    I am sorry I didn't reply to who ever it was who brought up something I had not thought of which was: Henceforth all practice snaps (or the vast preponderance of them) are divided between 1st and 2nd string. So I am ok going forward with JT and Slovis with Young coming next year.

Also this pleases me in that my opinion has always been fans have no idea where and when the talent pops up. Only our involved coaching staff does.
    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5208589/5b9defb368999601fce20023

And once again see how many players in the nfl today were three star prospects
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-pro-bowl-rosters-do-recruiting-star-ratings-actually-predict-nfl-success/

CP619 likes this.
  14. Poodlemothra

Poodlemothra Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    The way I see it is that Slovis will likely Red Shirt, so all this discussion about QB rankings will mean nothing. And I base that on that if Slovis hasn't seen significant playing time after 4 games, it makes perfect sense to Red Shirt him.

15. usc88

usc88 Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Got no problem with Daniels being the starter. He is the best passer.
    But thought Sears should have been the backup.
    Because if Daniels is not doing it Sears with his running can change the pace.
    Or even Fink.
    What kept USC good was Darnold being able to make plays out of nothing.

AMLTrojan and Troyhorn1 like this.
  16. yah20002

yah20002 Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    These are 18-22 year olds we're talking about. And, the stakes are a little different for QB's....especially the ones that were highly ranked in HS. There's a reason you don't see 4* and 5* QB's willing to stick around and sit, once they're not named the starter. We see this through out CFB. We're actually a little lucky, in that, backups actually hang around longer because of the value of the USC degree.

Also, as some have already mentioned, the guys at the bottom of the depth chart get no reps in practice. The 2nd string QB get the few leftovers, not going to the starter. It's not absurd to think the 3rd and 4th guy might be mulling over their future, and not all the way focused, while holding a clipboard on the sideline.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.
  17. TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12 Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Then you factor in what defense or offensive line he hade to block for him or go against on a regular basis.

18. 101Coast

101Coast Points Member

Aug 21, 2019
    To be honest, I haven't seen Slovis run any of the scrimmage plays so I can't make a fair judgement on his ability.

According to Helton, ALL the offensive staff were in agreement on the order and it was based on the 30 practices, so Slovis either lit it up or Fink and Sears stunk it up.

Slovis for Heisman!

19. PickSicx

PickSicx Junior Member

Aug 21, 2019
    You quoted this in response to me. I certainly didn't say what you seem to be implying -- that Sears is slapping the team in the face.

If he chooses to leave, then leave. He's a big boy, and USC know the drill. I wish him all the luck in the world.

But to assume that he will transfer somewhere and then someday "potentially" make millions . . . uh, nope.

Looking at the list of guys who have transferred from USC at quarterback over the years: Browne, Wittek . . . heck, you could go all the way back to Rocky Hinds, not one of them had a successful career post USC. Jack Sears is from Mission Viejo. I assume he'll want to stay in Southern California to live and work after his college years are over. Having a degree and the connections that he'd build at USC will pay dues long after his career at Ball State or Fresno is over.

If you're not good enough to beat out a true freshman, then you're not passing up "millions" in "potential" earnings.

TrojanFireHorse12 likes this.