Crazy day in the college basketball world

Discussion in 'USC Hoops' started by norcalsurfer, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Crazy day in the college basketball world
    norcalsurfer

norcalsurfer Points Member

Oct 2, 2018
    NCAA basketball corruption trial started today and it got off to a big start

"Jurors also given long list of names that may come up at trial (not necessarily wrongdoing). Includes: Bill Self, Rick Pitino, Sean Miller, Jim Larranaga, Kyle Kuzma, Zion Williamson, Romeo Langford, Jason Richardson, Isiah Whitehead, Tom Jurich, Nasir Little, Markelle Fultz"

"During opening statement this morning, Jim Gattto's atty promised evidence would show Oregon offered "an atronomical amount of money" to recruit Brian Bowen to play for the Ducks. The $100,000 deal to attend Louisville was to "level the playing field.""

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/1047165520523546624

Arizona offered to pay star recruit Nassir Little. Little is currently at UNC

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2018/10/2/17929364/arizona-wildcats-basketball-fbi-trial-bribery-nassir-little-sean-miller

USC is probably not out of the woods on this (though I believe shutting down Melton and backing out of Taeshon Cherry probably helps SC in this case). Just shows how much corruption there is in college sports, let alone college basketball.

2. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Oct 3, 2018
    I would go a step further and say that there is much corruption is HS sports as well.
    Everything that has been uncovered in this case, I believe happens sin the HS/AAU circuit for the same reasons: to try to get the best prospects in order to win in hopes we (school/program) can gain something from it.

3. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Rosters in a flux until this thing gets settled....will the NCAA man up and fix this thing once and for all?

Or just step aside and make it a free for all......holy crap, we all knew there were shadiness, but this magnitude?

4. Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Thanks for the report norcal.

5. mvpreed2

mvpreed2 Junior Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Right now nothing is concrete and most of what I’ve read regarding Arizona is not solidifiable.

Yes I’ve read most reports that says Arizona offered to pay Little $150K, but the only proof I’ve seen is that coming from the agent.
    Arizona was allegedly offered money to pay Quinerly to come also, yet both prospects ended up at two different schools and both of them ruled eligible.

I do believe Richardson took the $15K to steer potential prospects to a certain agency, but right now I don’t believe Arizona, or USC has paid any prospect with what I’ve read.
    Our assistants are the ones that guilty and if the NCAA comes after us for that then take it on the chin, but both Arizona and USC hasn’t slowed down in the recruiting department because of this.

6. norcalsurfer

Oct 8, 2018
    No problem.

Like mvpreed says, a lot of stuff said here is allegedly. While I do believe some players were paid, this is nothing new considering it has happened in the past, present and certainly will in the future. And while I hate to bring politics into this, these allegations are a lot like the Kavanaugh case.

For USC, we won’t know what Bland will say about his actions and others considering he won’t be on trial till April 22, 2019

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailynews.com/2018/02/23/former-usc-assistant-tony-bland-trial-date-set-for-2019/amp/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  7. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Oct 10, 2018
    Read somewhere that Grassnola admitted to paying Ayton's family some money, at the FBI trial today...

Can anyone confirm?

8. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Oct 10, 2018
    Thank you....that was apparently Adidas money to get him to Kansas (Ayton and others), but hell, what does it mean? he got more money to go to UofA, he went there for free? what?

9. norcalsurfer

Oct 10, 2018
    It’s kind of funny because it’s a cluster fuck

Ayton allegedly got money from Adidas
    Then goes to a Nike school
    And then signs with Puma

10. Jpltrojan

Jpltrojan Junior Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Have to believe the real focus is on the shoe manufacturer. As long as that money is available people are going to take it. Anything less would be just continued market manipulation by the NCAA. I doubt the FBI would be "used" by the NCAA to favor some schools over others.

With that said, I suspect the NCAA will go after the agents to get them out of basketball. As we all know we'll probably see some "should've known" circumstances and some passes based on who do you know. That's the corrupt NCAA.

Would really like to see the FBI investigate the NCAA in all of this too. I doubt they're clean.

11. norcalsurfer

Oct 15, 2018
    Except if you are USC. Then in that case you are royally fucked.

MediaCapital likes this.
  12. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman Junior Member

Oct 19, 2018
  13. norcalsurfer

Oct 19, 2018
    I too, would have no problem if SC is one of the schools that recieves penalties for violations. My problem is when schools like Louisville are given a slap on the wrist, whereas schools like SC are punished for what is peanuts to what Louisville did. Louisville just picked up Aidan Igiehon, a stellar PF, despite the school having a history of shady behavior on the hardcourt.

Given the SC admin’s lack of a spine, I wouldn’t blame Enfield if left because the school has no balls to defend itself.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  14. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Remember too that UNC basically skated after years of supposed investigation into academic scandals...sigh...

I hope this new G League thing get the pretend college kids out of college, and directly into the pros......less headaches all around....let the kids that want to play for the schools and get some sort of education more room to breathe....maybe we'll get back some semblance of order....

15. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Oct 24, 2018
    KU holding out De Souza due to the FBI thing...wonder how long it'll last....

16. 3rd Slide

3rd Slide Junior Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Even when the video shows that it did not happen.

Carlsport likes this.
  17. SGVFlip

SGVFlip Points Member

Oct 29, 2018
    With everything coming out about Miller/Zona, who here thinks he'll still get off scot free?